AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i haven't frequented the forums in awhile so im kinda behind sorry. I just wanted to say that i have seen that the A3's are getting quite cheap so i kinda want to jump on one but im a college student so if there going to go under very soon then i'll just hold off for a BR. I dont have a HD-DVD collection, only 3 titles so its not that big of a deal. I just wish the BR would drop down if its going to win the format. Just wanted to ask...thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Stop putting it off and get one before it's too late, br is still in it's infancy while hd dvd gets better and better, the upconverting is way better than bd for sure and I really like the fact that i bought one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not sure exactly what the point of the post is but I just picked one up also, and am very happy.

BTW, depending on how good a student you are, you may just graduate before BD players hit $149!!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Point of the post was to see if anyone had any information about how long HD-DVD might be out for b/c i dont know if there going out tomorrow or in 2 years. I really want to get one but if there gonna go under this summer or so, then i'd rather not and just save for a PS3. Sure i'd love to jump on this one, but i just want to make the right decision b/c i dont have alot of money to throw around.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Think of it this way you cant afford a 400 dollar blu player. Get the 150 dollar HD-DVD player and enjoy HD NOW! then if and when Blu players hit 150 bucks buy one then. In the mean time you have enjoyed HD for a couple of years. If Blu wins so be it you still have a great dvd player for the bedroom.

Just a side note I talked to the samsung rep at best buy. Sony has promised the other manufacturers of Blu players that they will NOT sell stand alones under cost. This is so the others will not have to sell thier players below cost to compete. At the rate that sony is lowering prices It will be at least two years before they can produce a 150 dollar player that makes a profit. Blu players are more complex and the new 2.0 players coming out (who knows when will be) those players and will most likely hold prices up.

So yeah find an open box one for 99 bucks even but go for it!

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
If you're a poor college student, I'm guessing you don't have a gigantic TV. Unless you have a big TV (over 42"), HD or BR is pointless. You just can see much difference in picture quality on a small screen. Save your money.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm pretty sure the format will survive for a while. They have too many options that haven't been exhuasted yet. Plus, you can get an HD-A3 for $125 on amazon, and it will include 7 movies for free. The free movies will pay for the player itself. HD-DVD also have more relax DRM security, which means that you have a good chance of putting a copy on your computer due to "Fair Use" laws. Yes, it is fair to have a copy on your computer if you own the movie.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/12936064

If you're a poor college student, I'm guessing you don't have a gigantic TV. Unless you have a big TV (over 42"), HD or BR is pointless. You just can see much difference in picture quality on a small screen. Save your money.

That depends on how far you sit from the screen. I have a 24" LCD monitor as a computer screen and I can definitely tell the difference between DVD and HD like night and day from 5 feet away.

Even if you just use it as a upconverter player, you should instantly see the sharper details on DVD.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
i tell all of my friends (even those who would not say they are "poor") to wait until things clear up. If you are an early adopter, an experimenter, and know the risks and are prepared to lose, then buy. Otherwise wait.

·
Registered
662 Posts
BUY! BUY! BUY!

I have 3 HD-A2s and just picked up an HD-A20 today!

Excellent machines!! BUY!

·
Registered
507 Posts
As far as the waiting for the lowest price thing. Buy it watch the prices until the price matching time period ends. Then DO NOT look again but watch MOVIES not prices falling.

EVERY electronic device whether it is a tv, computer, or electric shaver gets better and cheaper. No matter what you buy. Enjoy the product. At 120-150 bucks you cant lose much.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you don't have the disposable income, don't do it. But if you do have the money $125 for a player plus 7 free movies is a great deal. As a bonus, the player is an excellent upconversion player that is much better than a $40 upconverter players. Not all upconverter are equal.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
HD DVD will always be around. It isn't going anywhere. The tech is inexpensive and it'll always be a "feature" of Toshiba players at the very least.

·
Registered
847 Posts
For $125 (or thereabouts), I say go for it. You get some great HD content, and even if you don't use it primarily for HD movies, you get a great upconverter.

(And if you buy from Amazon, you might even get it for less if you get price adjustments over the next 30 days.
)

·
Registered
515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz /forum/post/12935979

Stop putting it off and get one before it's too late, br is still in it's infancy while hd dvd gets better and better, the upconverting is way better than bd for sure and I really like the fact that i bought one.

Upconverting to 1080p is better then a movie specifically designed to be shown at 1080p? There is no doubt upconverting is nice, but not better then a HD DVD or a Blu-Ray movie.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They are so cheap you have nothing to lose, you get HD Movies now and if the likely scenario that HD-DVD fails and Blu-Ray some how by a miracle does not fail as well (to SD-DVD) then, what the hell you are going to have to buy a new BR player later, might as well make it later when they are cheaper and actually complete.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon TV /forum/post/12936691

Upconverting to 1080p is better then a movie specifically designed to be shown at 1080p? There is no doubt upconverting is nice, but not better then a HD DVD or a Blu-Ray movie.

No it won't be as sharp as a HD DVD or BR but with the DVD collection some people have accumulated over the years this is a great option. I popped in a few of my SD DVDs yesterday and was very impressed.

Ousooner if you have a best buy in your area they will also allow you to pick 2 movies of the shelf that are 34.99 and below. I was very lucky as the manager let me grab a open boxed A3, dropped it to $100, let me grab the 2 movies off the shelf and then I still had the 20% reward zone. Walked out with 4 free movies (2 included in box already) and a player for $85.

That is just to damn good to even think twice about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts