AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my HDTV search to the Samsung DLP 50''. Please share any drawbacks or negative experiences.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Check the prices at PC Richards first, they seem to be offering the best prices on the Sammy DLPs. If you don't have a local PCR, you may want to try thier website - www.pcrichards.com, and see if you can order it online (you can get a better deal in the store, though). Make sure when you get to the search results, you display 'All Items'.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you're thinking of going the on-line route, TV Authority now lists both the HLN4365W and the HLN5065W at good prices and reasonable delivery rates. I checked PC Richard some time back and the 50s were back ordered, plus, don't know where you are kam1996 (adding a location to your profile would be a good thing) but they seem to have a very narrow delivery radius, which does NOT seem to include Eastern MA.

There are many threads in this forum that talk about folks' experiences with the various Sammy DLPs. Knock yourself out, or make yourself crazy, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Never Buy any thing from Best Buy. You take a BIG Risk when you do. Best Buy has a problems with employees taking things out of boxes and placing something else in their. Example one time I bought a $300 Video card from best buy when I opened the box there was only a cheap $50 video card in there. The manual was missing. I went back to best buy and they basically told me to bad. I know of other people who have had similar experiences. I also found a site that had thousands of similar stories to mine. You should never shop at best buy.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VTBoy
Never Buy any thing from Best Buy. You take a BIG Risk when you do. Best Buy has a problems with employees taking things out of boxes and placing something else in their. Example one time I bought a $300 Video card from best buy when I opened the box there was only a cheap $50 video card in there. The manual was missing. I went back to best buy and they basically told me to bad. I know of other people who have had similar experiences. I also found a site that had thousands of similar stories to mine. You should never shop at best buy.
VTBoy - Where are you located?

And about BB.......Not that I doubt employees would do such a thing, I also am aware that some customers are inclined to do the same before returning an item.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Best Buy has a problems with employees taking things out of boxes and...
How do you know this to be fact? If I may inquire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
First this happen to me. I know it wasn't a customer because the box was sold as NEW and not open box. Two I know other people who have had similar experiences. Also Best Buy Suxs has many examples of how bad BB is.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
VTBoy, you may have issues with a Best Buy in your area but that doesn't mean that all Best Buy employees do this.

I have shopped Best Buys for years and have never gotten a wrong product and in fact Best Buy has given me the best customer service from any store yet. I personally would highly recommend Best Buy if you can get the price right. If you're considering a warranty, I was told from Best Buy that their warranty covers both the lamp and any stuck mirrors for the Samsung DLP which may not in some circumstances be covered by the manufacturers warranty. Check with your Best Buy to verify that information.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A lot of my friends used to work at Best Buy in their high school days. A lot of customers return products with the wrong product in the box. This is especially easy to do on hardware items such as video cards. However, you should have noticed that the box had been opened and it should have been marked with an open-box sticker. Stay away from open-box purchases unless you're looking to buy something that's disposable.

As for the Samsung DLP from Best Buy. I didn't have a single problem. I wish the Best Buy guys would have put the stand together but that's no big deal. I'd get the extended service on it, they'll kiss your ass if you do. Drawbacks of the actual DLP itself... internal reflections.. I see them all the time in dark scenes. Not a huge deal, they're distracting but not annoying. As for rainbows and clay faces, I don't see them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would NEVER buy any electronic equipment over $200 from BB. Their support is HORRIBLE and their knowledge is even worse. For me, they are great for DVD's, CD's, computer accessories, games and maybe even a cheap DVD player, but nothing else. Even with those things, just try and make an exchange or a return. Just try and get some accurate information. I dare you...

Example (one of MANY), I go into BB the other day to get a DVD, the Samsung DLP catches my eye, I ask the sales clerk if the Sammy does 720p natively and he gives me a blank stare. No big deal, I can understand the confusion (it is a relatively obscure question for BB), BUT, he goes and gets the 'expert' on these TV's and I ask the same thing. He says 'the TV will not do 720p if you do not use an s-video cable'. I politely try to correct him and say 'you mean component cables'. He says, 'no, the only cable you can get HiDef from is s-video, maybe composite'. Enough said...

I know that the store is not known for their expertise, but this kind of knowledge spills over into the customer service, sometimes even worse. Believe me, I know. PLUS, just try and talk them into a lower price for a TV. No go.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JonR800
A lot of my friends used to work at Best Buy in their high school days. A lot of customers return products with the wrong product in the box. This is especially easy to do on hardware items such as video cards. However, you should have noticed that the box had been opened and it should have been marked with an open-box sticker. Stay away from open-box purchases unless you're looking to buy something that's disposable.

As for the Samsung DLP from Best Buy. I didn't have a single problem. I wish the Best Buy guys would have put the stand together but that's no big deal. I'd get the extended service on it, they'll kiss your ass if you do. Drawbacks of the actual DLP itself... internal reflections.. I see them all the time in dark scenes. Not a huge deal, they're distracting but not annoying. As for rainbows and clay faces, I don't see them.
The Box WAS NOT an open box item. The Box was sealed like a new box. I do not buy open box items.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
The Box WAS NOT an open box item. The Box was sealed like a new box. I do not buy open box items.
Well we're getting a little off topic but I'm sorry for your misfortune. Should have written the district manager or something, I'm sure that would have cured the situation. Not that anyone should have to do that to get what's rightfully theirs in the first place.

All in all I wouldn't worry about anyone switching boxes on a 50" tv. It'd take a lot of time and I'm about 99.9% sure they'd check what's in the box on a $4,000 tv. :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
You all are acting as if BB makes the products they sell. Do your research, buy name brand products. Don't go into BB blind and ask them for information on a product purchase. If you do that then you are an uninformed consumer and would have trouble at any retailer. Know what you want before you shop and just go to BB to try for a lower price. If they can't give it to you, move on.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Resist
You all are acting as if BB makes the products they sell. Do your research, buy name brand products. Don't go into BB blind and ask them for information on a product purchase. If you do that then you are an uninformed consumer and would have trouble at any retailer. Know what you want before you shop and just go to BB to try for a lower price. If they can't give it to you, move on.
Agreed !

But, it is their customer service that is a big problem IMO. Good luck if you run into issues with your purchase.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Well correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Samsung warranty the pruduct for a year? What do I care about BB's customer service if I get what I want at a lower price?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Lower price ????? For electronics over $500, their prices are horrible. They are very tough to negotiate with.

Plus, they don't even carry the same quality models of TV's that most electronics stores do. What is up with their Mitsubishi and Toshiba CRT RPTV models. Why do they not carry the Toshiba 'Cinema Series'. The ones they carry for the same price are not as good, and have cheaper looking cosmetics, same with the Mit's.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.