AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a pair of Klispch bookshelf speakers, and a Yamaha sub that I currently use connected to a stereo receiver that lost its right channel. I'm buying a new receiver, which I'm pretty sure I have narrowed down to the 1513 or rx-v375, but I'm not sure how to fill out the rest of the 3 speakers. Accessories4less has the Yamaha  NS-P150 setup for 99.99 right now, which seems like a good deal. I just can't seem to locate many reviews for this - also, would the Klipschs jive with this setup? 

Other options include the Energy take Classics / or a 5.1 from monoprice. Or should I go in a different direction all together. I'm a  little wary of only using the Klipschs for surround (I understand the center three should be the same?), as I have been very happy and impressed with their quality over the years.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicc  /t/1523085/looking-to-complete-my-5-1-setup-i-have-2-bookshelfs-and-a-sub-so-far#post_24496859

I have a pair of Klispch bookshelf speakers, and a Yamaha sub that I currently use connected to a stereo receiver that lost its right channel. I'm buying a new receiver, which I'm pretty sure I have narrowed down to the 1513 or rx-v375, but I'm not sure how to fill out the rest of the 3 speakers. Accessories4less has the Yamaha  NS-P150 setup for 99.99 right now, which seems like a good deal. I just can't seem to locate many reviews for this - also, would the Klipschs jive with this setup? 

Other options include the Energy take Classics / or a 5.1 from monoprice. Or should I go in a different direction all together. I'm a  little wary of only using the Klipschs for surround (I understand the center three should be the same?), as I have been very happy and impressed with their quality over the years.

Thoughts?

Yes, the front three should match.

That is extremely important.

How big is your room, what will you be listening to and what is your budget?

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you get a Denon receiver you should at least get the 1613. What model are the Klipsch speakers? And the questions asked above.

Reactions: Manicc

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
My suggestion:

A Harman-Kardon 1700 or 700 receiver and a pair of Pioneer BS-22 speakers with a Pioneer SP-C22 center speaker.

Those are some VERY good speakers that can be had for very affordable prices.

That system will sound a whole lot better than any Energy or Klipsch speakers, which IMO are some of the worst.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The speakers are older: KG .5s. My budget is

Used for movies first and music second in a small bedroom. Planning on moving in the next year, will then fill a living room.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
If you are on a tight budget, go to Parts Express and order two pairs of the Dayton B652 speakers, for $40/pair, and use 3 of them for the front and center.

These are amazingly good speakers; hard to beat for less than $200.

Stereophile actually did an article on them recently, which is interesting to read.

You could even buy 3 pairs for $120, and use 5 of them for your system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for your recommendations. Seeing as I like the Klipschs - would it be worth looking at something used from their era as the center? Or should I just start over?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Since you like your Klipsch I would say that's a good idea. There is a lot of good used stuff on Craigslist.

Reactions: Manicc

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicc  /t/1523085/looking-to-complete-my-5-1-setup-i-have-2-bookshelfs-and-a-sub-so-far#post_24497937

Thanks for your recommendations. Seeing as I like the Klipschs - would it be worth looking at something used from their era as the center? Or should I just start over?
Pretty sure there is a matching center for your KG.5's on ebay right now!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCH-KG2-2V-Center-Channel-Speaker-/121297434927

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Any thoughts on the bs21s vs the 22s? they are 51 dollars shipped from Amazon at the moment... 

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicc  /t/1523085/looking-to-complete-my-5-1-setup-i-have-2-bookshelfs-and-a-sub-so-far#post_24498039

Any thoughts on the bs21s vs the 22s? they are 51 dollars shipped from Amazon at the moment... 

The BS-22 is better - and also more smooth and refined over the Klipsch KG.5 speakers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1523085/looking-to-complete-my-5-1-setup-i-have-2-bookshelfs-and-a-sub-so-far#post_24498050

The BS-22 is better - and also more smooth and refined over the Klipsch KG.5 speakers

K. I'm leaning towards them plus their matching center. Would I be fine if I used the Klipschs as surround for now? Probably upgrade to another set of the pioneers or a pair of daytons for surround and pop the Klipschs back into the bedroom once I move. 

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicc  /t/1523085/looking-to-complete-my-5-1-setup-i-have-2-bookshelfs-and-a-sub-so-far#post_24498058

K. I'm leaning towards them plus their matching center. Would I be fine if I used the Klipschs as surround for now?

Yes, Klipsch for surround would be fine

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicc  /t/1523085/looking-to-complete-my-5-1-setup-i-have-2-bookshelfs-and-a-sub-so-far#post_24498058

K. I'm leaning towards them plus their matching center. Would I be fine if I used the Klipschs as surround for now? Probably upgrade to another set of the pioneers or a pair of daytons for surround and pop the Klipschs back into the bedroom once I move. 
Keep the Klipsch's as surrounds and save yourself money that way so you can put it to the newer better sounding SP-BS22-LRs with the Matching SP-C22 center!

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicc  /t/1523085/looking-to-complete-my-5-1-setup-i-have-2-bookshelfs-and-a-sub-so-far#post_24500042

Would you recommend getting the BS22s over the FS51s? - the FS51s are ~$132 a pair shipped.

For me - yes > with a nice subwoofer, they will have better detail and definition.

However, your call

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1523085/looking-to-complete-my-5-1-setup-i-have-2-bookshelfs-and-a-sub-so-far#post_24500190

For me - yes > with a nice subwoofer, they will have better detail and definition.

However, your call
x2 the SP-BS22-LR's with a subwoofer are still a much better buy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts