AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on a local forum but was told to come here for better knowledge. Also my co-worker said to come here if i ever wanted to calibrate my future tv.

Well me and my girlfriend are looking to get a new plasma tv. LED are too much, and for half the cost we can get a plasma with same specs.

There 2 we are looking at

Samsung 51" Plasma 1080p

Model: PN51D530A3

Or

Panasonic 50" plasma 1080P

Model: TC-P50S30

My friend told me that panasonic has been in the plasma business longer and has an advantage over samsung in picture quality, but at the same time he said i cant go wrong if i choose samsung as well as they make quality tv's. My g/f and I are leaning towards the Samsung cuz it looks better and better sounds. But at the same time best buy as a deal going that if u get the panasonic they will throw in a bluray player. Im not too worried about a blu ray player since i have a ps3 but free blu ray player is nice as well. Also we are sticking to bestbuy cuz we have a card there and their 18-36month no interest financing is a must and i also work at bestbuy so i get more then half on on protection plan. We just bought a macbook pro soo our budget is under $1000 total if anyone wanted to make a suggestion.

Also can someone show me guides to calibrate these tv's?

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LReyes66 /forum/post/20961181

I posted this on a local forum but was told to come here for better knowledge. Also my co-worker said to come here if i ever wanted to calibrate my future tv.

Well me and my girlfriend are looking to get a new plasma tv. LED are too much, and for half the cost we can get a plasma with same specs.

There 2 we are looking at

Samsung 51" Plasma 1080p

Model: PN51D530A3

Or

Panasonic 50" plasma 1080P

Model: TC-P50S30

My friend told me that panasonic has been in the plasma business longer and has an advantage over samsung in picture quality, but at the same time he said i cant go wrong if i choose samsung as well as they make quality tv's. My g/f and I are leaning towards the Samsung cuz it looks better and better sounds. But at the same time best buy as a deal going that if u get the panasonic they will throw in a bluray player. Im not too worried about a blu ray player since i have a ps3 but free blu ray player is nice as well. Also we are sticking to bestbuy cuz we have a card there and their 18-36month no interest financing is a must and i also work at bestbuy so i get more then half on on protection plan. We just bought a macbook pro soo our budget is under $1000 total if anyone wanted to make a suggestion.

Also can someone show me guides to calibrate these tv's?

I've had both. They both have great pictures. The Sammy has more of a glossy screen and more glare in a brightly lit room. I prefer the Panny TCP50S30 for my room conditions. Panny also has a better reliability record.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would get the ST30 instead of the S30...pic quality is better, even if you're not going to watch 3D.

Unless you can get the protection plan for next to nothing (you said half off), I'd pass on that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgguy /forum/post/20961784

I would get the ST30 instead of the S30...pic quality is better, even if you're not going to watch 3D.

Unless you can get the protection plan for next to nothing (you said half off), I'd pass on that.

Good luck.

I checked both the ST30 and S30 out and noticed very little difference (if any) once both sets were calibrated. Certainly , not worth the extra $400 IMHO......

·
Premium Member
18,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techowiz /forum/post/20962011

I checked both the ST30 and S30 out and noticed very little difference (if any) once both sets were calibrated.

Calibration can't overcome the physical limitations of an inferior low-end entry-level model.

The ST30 has a more advanced Plasma Panel with faster switching phosphors, a much better Anti Reflective Filter, better black levels, better colors, better processing, more lines of resolution, and a Pro Settings mode with many more picture settings adjustments. The ST30 outperforms the S30 in every picture quality category. I have spent a lot of time with both at my local Paul's TV (subdued lighting) and i've found the difference between the two to be profound.

Quote:
Certainly not worth the extra $400 IMHO......

$400 difference? Panasonic's List Price of a 50" ST30 is $999 (only $200 more than the $799 50" S30), so i don't know where you get $400 from. I just checked Amazon and at this moment the 50ST30 is only $107 more than the S30 (prices do fluctuate throughout the day though) and is well under List Price and is still way under the OP's max budget.

The S30 is not in the same league as the ST30. The ONLY thing the S30 has going for it is it's lower price but that's it. I for one would never own one and i never recommend it to anyone since the ST30 is such a big step up in picture quality for just a little more money.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would opt to get the 3d version, but like i said, we just got a macbook that was $2000. We have a credit line of $3000 so we need this tv to be under $1000 total.

So im guessing just between the 2, panasonic would be the better choice?

·
Premium Member
18,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LReyes66 /forum/post/20962486

i would opt to get the 3d version, but like i said, we just got a macbook that was $2000. We have a credit line of $3000 so we need this tv to be under $1000 total.

But the 3D version ST30 is still well under your max budget at various online stores and is also selling for less than List Price at Best Buy stores.

Quote:
So im guessing just between the 2, panasonic would be the better choice?

The 50ST30 (3D) is definitely better than the PN51D530A3.

·
Premium Member
18,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20962745

I would go with the Sammy! While no TV is perfect, Samsung seems to have fewer problems with their 2011 models.

Jeepers - you again. So tell us what problem(s) the ST30 has that would justify buying a lower-performing, lower-end Samsung D530A3 instead?

Exactly why would you pick the D530A3 over the ST30?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just got a 60st30 last night from BB. I looked at the 50st30 and 50s30 and I could tell in BB that the glare was better on the st30 and thats all I needed to get it. At 60", my difference was $100. Totally worth it. Get the ST30 you will love it.

Now where to sell my wireless adapter and 3d glasses that came with it? (The panasonic twin pack). I have no use for 3d and dont plan on ever using it, so why not sell them to someone that will use them and help me get some $ back on the tv? lol.

Seriously...I was on the fence between S30 and ST30 but the ST is much better for the marginal price difference. IF both are in the budget, get the better one. I even over spent out of my budget $200. Sometimes you gotta! (I didnt want a 55", I wanted a 60" and the sale at bb made it close enough for me)

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20962165

Calibration can't overcome the physical limitations of an inferior low-end entry-level model.

The ST30 has a more advanced Plasma Panel with faster switching phosphors, a much better Anti Reflective Filter, better black levels, better colors, better processing, more lines of resolution, and a Pro Settings mode with many more picture settings adjustments. The ST30 outperforms the S30 in every picture quality category. I have spent a lot of time with both at my local Paul's TV (subdued lighting) and i've found the difference between the two to be profound.

$400 difference? Panasonic's List Price of a 50" ST30 is $999 (only $200 more than the $799 50" S30), so i don't know where you get $400 from. I just checked Amazon and at this moment the 50ST30 is only $107 more than the S30 (prices do fluctuate throughout the day though) and is well under List Price and is still way under the OP's max budget.

The S30 is not in the same league as the ST30. The ONLY thing the S30 has going for it is it's lower price but that's it. I for one would never own one and i never recommend it to anyone since the ST30 is such a big step up in picture quality for just a little more money.

Not a videophile. I personally haven't noticed any "profound" differences between the two. Other than bragging rights, specs sometimes are misleading.....

·
Premium Member
18,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LReyes66 /forum/post/20963399

if i do get the st30 id have to drop down to 42"

Why? You said you have a $1,000 budget - and the List Price on the 50" ST30 is $999. The street price is even lower

·
Registered
40 Posts
And I think BB in my area also had the 46 inch st30 with a 210 blu ray for well under $1000.......it still was on sale as of wednesday night

·
Registered
131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20964186

Why? You said you have a $1,000 budget - and the List Price on the 50" ST30 is $999. The street price is even lower

x 2.....
1) The diff is only around $100, 2) The ST30 is objectively, subjectively and any other way you wanna compare it, better, than the S30 ... AND it stays in your budget limit. The S30 is not a bad tv at all but you asked and the answers were given

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd sooner get a 42" ST30 than a 50" S30 or U30 as it is called outside of North America. Why get an inferior model and make it larger to see the flaws?
The ST30 looks much better under glare as another posted noted.

You can get a 50" GT30 for under $150 more than the 50" ST30.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
even with against all odds i still picked up the s30.... it ended up being alot bigger then i thought... soo i might exchange it for the 42" st30 since they dont have the 46"... the picture imo was amazing on the s30.. but then again any 1080p looks amazing to me since im coming from a old 720p lcd samsung

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20962745

I would go with the Sammy! While no TV is perfect, Samsung seems to have fewer problems with their 2011 models.

Yeah, only the black level filter peeling off the screen on their higher end models and rising blacks (according to cnet)

Granted, that's probably fixed on newer builds but Samsung tends to have worse IR and you would should "SAMSUNG! SAMSUNG!" even if 90% of their tv's shattered in the first 6 months. Please troll somewhere else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts