AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to understanding the relationship between receivers and speakers. The ELAC Uni-fi UF5 are 4 ohms and my Marantz SR5012 is 8 ohms but also says 4 ohms compatible though it doesnt give any of the stats for 4 ohms as it does for 8 ohms. So here are my questions.

1. How can my receiver be 8 ohms but also be 4 ohms compatible? So is it both? or is there a drawback for the receiver if i use 4 ohm speakers with it? I dont want damage my receiver obviously.

2. The ELAC Uni-fi UF5 says it has a sensitivity of 85 db. My current speakers have sensitivity of 97 db. I have read that anything lower than 92 db sensitivity is trash? How can that be when everyone is raving about the ELAC Uni-fi UF5?

3. Would most people hear a major difference between my current KF-26 Klipch and the ELAC Uni-fi UF5?

I appreciate your inputs Thank you.

PS these are currently on sale for 399.. I am assuming that is a great price. I like to make my decision soon so I dont lose out on the sale price.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am relatively new to understanding the relationship between receivers and speakers. The ELAC Uni-fi UF5 are 4 ohms and my Marantz SR5012 is 8 ohms but also says 4 ohms compatible though it doesnt give any of the stats for 4 ohms as it does for 8 ohms. So here are my questions.

1. How can my receiver be 8 ohms but also be 4 ohms compatible? So is it both? or is there a drawback for the receiver if i use 4 ohm speakers with it? I dont want damage my receiver obviously.

2. The ELAC Uni-fi UF5 says it has a sensitivity of 85 db. My current speakers have sensitivity of 97 db. I have read that anything lower than 92 db sensitivity is trash? How can that be when everyone is raving about the ELAC Uni-fi UF5?

3. Would most people hear a major difference between my current KF-26 Klipch and the ELAC Uni-fi UF5?

PS these are currently on sale for 399.. I am assuming that is a great price. I like to make my decision soon so I dont lose out on the sale price.
Many of the world's best rated speakers have under 87db sensitivity.
The Uni-Fi's are great sounding speakers for the money, but have had the bad reputation from the start that they are very hard to drive. They aren't that bad, depending on how loud you listen and how far away you sit from them.
If you listen at moderate levels and usually less than 12' away they will be fine, and a great deal at that price.
Klipsch also way overrates their sensitivity. If yours say 97db they are probably no more than 92db max.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts

The ELAC UniFi series are widely reported as requiring a hefty external amp to really sound good. If you want to try it, make sure you have an easy return option.

Yes, there will be a huge difference between the ELAC and Your Klipsch KF-26...the Klipsch is way bright and in your face. The ELAC will sound subdued, even a little too laid back, in comparison. If you don't mind the Klipsch aggressive-treble sound signature, a better option would be their RP series which is reportedly a lot more refined and still quite easy to drive to high volumes unlike the ELACs.

If you're looking to for a less aggressive presentation, I'd look at Ascend and Chane speakers, both of which would be much easier for your Marantz than the ELAC while giving you a more neutral and dynamic sound.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just bought the Elac Debut Reference DBR62 and they surprise me more and more each day based on the music I play.

Based on previous videos I tested these bass tracks per Jay's experience as follows.

Bass: night train christian McBride
Bass: flight of the cosmic hippo flecstones
Also by bela fleck

Bass : limit to your love james blake
Bass : Hot Spade oh Joon Sung

I have a JTR HT118 sub for movies that goes down to 11Hz. Edge of Tomorrow opening scene.

Anyway these speakers with a fairly decent to strong amplifier will reward you. I have a unison research unico hybrid amp. Solid state for power and the preamp is tube. It goes over 100 watts easily at 6 or 4 ohms. With out a sub mind you these speakers somehow pressurized my room with bass. And my room is not small. My living room is an open floor plan leading to the dining room and kitchen. The bass was pretty unbelievable at mid to high volume levels. The review was spot on in regard to higher components bringing the potential of these speakers out. I'm sure these speakers do with a variety of amps, but just keep in mind they may have another level with quality amps or integrated amps.

I'm now in search for a Dac in the $300 to $600 range. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Have an eye on the bluesound node 2i.

Ray Charles, Tonny Bennet and Frank Sinatra sounded so natural when listening. I was streaming through Tidal Hifi. Will be looking to DSD and MQA soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Denon is under the same umbrella as Marantz and here's there take on AVRs and 4 ohms.

Can I use 4 ohm speakers with my AV receiver or power amp?

Yes, you can.

To understand this a bit better, first realize that all amplifiers are designed to deliver a signal into an electrical "load" or resistance presented by the loudspeaker. We measure resistance in units called "ohms" (after the German physicist Georg Simon Ohm, 1787–1854).

Conventional wisdom makes an 8 ohm loudspeaker load the most acceptable because it "protects" the amplifier from delivering too much current. A 4 ohm loudspeaker can encourage a marginally designed amplifier to deliver more current than it comfortably can.

However, you should remember that a loudspeaker’s impedance rating is a nominal or average one. A speaker rated at 8 ohms may actually vary from 5 (sometimes even less) to 20 ohms or higher, depending on the frequency at which you measure the impedance. We call this reactance.

In general, you’ll find that receivers / amps are designed to function with a wide variety of loudspeakers and have power supplies and output circuitry more than able to meet the current demands of low impedance loads. If using 4 ohm rated speakers, common sense should always be taken as to the volume level setting, as it is easier to overdrive or "clip" an amplifier with 4 ohm speakers than with speakers with a rating of 6-16 ohms.

In the rare event that very low impedances tax the amplifier, quick acting circuitry will protect it from damage. If unusual operating conditions trigger this "Protection" circuitry, the receiver will shut down and you will see a red blinking light on the Standby indicator. If this happens, simply power the unit off, unplug the unit for 10 minutes and then plug it back in and power the unit back on. The protection circuitry may reset if there's no internal damage within the receiver. If it re-engages, check your system for possible malfunctions such as intermittently shorting speaker wires, damaged speaker drivers, or it may be as simple as turning the volume down a little as not to cause the amplifier to go into protection due to overdriving.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought the Elac Debut Reference DBR62 and they surprise me more and more each day based on the music I play.

Based on previous videos I tested these bass tracks per Jay's experience as follows.

Bass: night train christian McBride
Bass: flight of the cosmic hippo flecstones
Also by bela fleck

Bass : limit to your love james blake
Bass : Hot Spade oh Joon Sung

I have a JTR HT118 sub for movies that goes down to 11Hz. Edge of Tomorrow opening scene.

Anyway these speakers with a fairly decent to strong amplifier will reward you. I have a unison research unico hybrid amp. Solid state for power and the preamp is tube. It goes over 100 watts easily at 6 or 4 ohms. With out a sub mind you these speakers somehow pressurized my room with bass. And my room is not small. My living room is an open floor plan leading to the dining room and kitchen. The bass was pretty unbelievable at mid to high volume levels. The review was spot on in regard to higher components bringing the potential of these speakers out. I'm sure these speakers do with a variety of amps, but just keep in mind they may have another level with quality amps or integrated amps.

I'm now in search for a Dac in the $300 to $600 range. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Have an eye on the bluesound node 2i.

Ray Charles, Tonny Bennet and Frank Sinatra sounded so natural when listening. I was streaming through Tidal Hifi. Will be looking to DSD and MQA soon.

Do you feel as if my SR5012 is decent enough?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ELAC UniFi series are widely reported as requiring a hefty external amp to really sound good. If you want to try it, make sure you have an easy return option.

Yes, there will be a huge difference between the ELAC and Your Klipsch KF-26...the Klipsch is way bright and in your face. The ELAC will sound subdued, even a little too laid back, in comparison. If you don't mind the Klipsch aggressive-treble sound signature, a better option would be their RP series which is reportedly a lot more refined and still quite easy to drive to high volumes unlike the ELACs.

If you're looking to for a less aggressive presentation, I'd look at Ascend and Chane speakers, both of which would be much easier for your Marantz than the ELAC while giving you a more neutral and dynamic sound.
Not sure this means. Forgive me for even though I been into stereo systems for 30 years, I never truly paid attention to details like this and now I am trying to learn. You mean I wont be hearing as much detail? or that the sound would be lower overall?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Not sure this means. Forgive me for even though I been into stereo systems for 30 years, I never truly paid attention to details like this and now I am trying to learn. You mean I wont be hearing as much detail? or that the sound would be lower overall?
The UniFis are more neutral which is preferred.

Your Klipsch have the same tweeter as the current "R" series which many find much brighter than neutral.

The Klipsch RP series will split that difference with their toned down tweeter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The UniFis are more neutral which is preferred.

Your Klipsch have the same tweeter as the current "R" series which many find much brighter than neutral.

The Klipsch RP series will split that difference with their toned down tweeter.

So I assume Klipsch makes these brighter sounding speakers because some prefer that? Man I mean I do like how they sound, but might love how the Elac sound. I wont know until I hear them I guess.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
The UF like the UB series are neutral but they require a robust amp to truly come alive---do a forum search for their Owners' Thread and browse through it...you'll see.

Reportedly, they are awesome with a good external amp...not so great with most AVRs.

But if you buy them with an easy return option, no worries.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Do you feel as if my SR5012 is decent enough?
Based in the specs of you're unit below it seems like that's plenty of power to drive those speakers. This is a Marantz I'm assuming.?

100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven

My Unico is rated at 80 to 85 Watts at 8 Ohms and has plenty of power left. Its gets loud at just a quarter of gain.

I also have a Denon AVR-X4200W IN-Command
I use for movies. I could try that unit for kicks sometime soon if you would like me to compare. I could be wrong but I believe Marants and Denon are somewhat sister or cousin companies like Toyota and Lexus. Maybe someone can chime in. I noticed Marantz and Denon get pretty hot to the touch. The 4200 is rated at

125 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)

I have heard that the Unifis do like power and they are a 3 way design compared to a 2 way. Also read that they may need some space from the back wall. The marantz should rate higher at 4 and 6 ohms. Give it a try. I know Andrew Jones designs his speakers based on several different power friendly options. That's also part of the value you get with the speakers and equipment driving them from what I understand. Getting Hifi sound on a reasonable budget.

Check out the reviews on both as they have a lot of content out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based in the specs of you're unit below it seems like that's plenty of power to drive those speakers. This is a Marantz I'm assuming.?

100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven

My Unico is rated at 80 to 85 Watts at 8 Ohms and has plenty of power left. Its gets loud at just a quarter of gain.

I also have a Denon AVR-X4200W IN-Command
I use for movies. I could try that unit for kicks sometime soon if you would like me to compare. I could be wrong but I believe Marants and Denon are somewhat sister or cousin companies like Toyota and Lexus. Maybe someone can chime in. I noticed Marantz and Denon get pretty hot to the touch. The 4200 is rated at

125 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)

I have heard that the Unifis do like power and they are a 3 way design compared to a 2 way. Also read that they may need some space from the back wall. The marantz should rate higher at 4 and 6 ohms. Give it a try. I know Andrew Jones designs his speakers based on several different power friendly options. That's also part of the value you get with the speakers and equipment driving them from what I understand. Getting Hifi sound on a reasonable budget.

Check out the reviews on both as they have a lot of content out there.

Yes it is a Maratz

What do you mean by rate higher?

They dont seem to be power friendly based on what I been reading here

·
Registered
233 Posts
Usually AVRs do not really specify 6 ohm or 4 ohm watts.

What I meant was the watt rating is typically higher on 4 and 6 ohm speakers.

All the information you receive here in these forums are very helpful, however your ears and experience with the gear is going to be ultimately the deciding factor.

Try it out and take advantage of the return or trial period if you feel the speakers are for you or not. If you dont want to switch out the Marantz you may need to test out what you like in regards to the speakers that mesh well with the Marantz.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Also something to consider is how loud you listen to music and Movies?

What is the ratio for music and movies?

You mentioned Klipsch and those generally seem to do well with Home Theater.

I can honestly say I was maybe 65% HT and 35% Music years ago. I've always loved music and now its probably 50/50 and may even give music the edge since I've invested in a tube preamp integrated.
I've gotten into lossless music and over 90% of music is streaming now.

Through some research and trials
I've determined I wanted two different setups. One for music and one for movies.

If you are listening at ear piercing reference volumes then a stronger amp or AVR may be a good idea.

Most people probably dont listen at really high volumes for extended periods of time. I think people just like to have that cozy warm feeling knowing they have the extra headroom in regard to power.

Another thing to consider is the room you are listening in. If you have a very large room you may need more power to fill the room.

More power sometimes does not always equate to better sound depending on the gear. For instance I have some KEF Q100s and they do go pretty loud, but they seem to run out if steam at certain volumes and lose other characteristics when the woofer is working to hard.

I'm not an audiophile I don't think, but certainly love music and movies. I try and enjoy the music and movies more than listening to imperfections with gear.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
On one hand, I really like the Uni-fi's because they are absolutely fantastic speakers for the money. On the other, they require more power than what most people have on hand to truly come alive.

In a perfect world you won't be able to touch the sound of the Uni-Fi's for under a grand..maybe under $2K if you're talking about the towers. But with AVR's not being known to have the best internal amp sections, chances are that you won't be able to experience what they can truly do. It's like driving a high-performance car but only being able to press the accelerator down 3/4 of the way. That 3/4 may be great to some, but it's that last 1/4 that really separates them from the pack.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Also something to consider is how loud you listen to music and Movies?

What is the ratio for music and movies?

You mentioned Klipsch and those generally seem to do well with Home Theater.

I can honestly say I was maybe 65% HT and 35% Music years ago. I've always loved music and now its probably 50/50 and may even give music the edge since I've invested in a tube preamp integrated.
I've gotten into lossless music and over 90% of music is streaming now.

Through some research and trials
I've determined I wanted two different setups. One for music and one for movies.

If you are listening at ear piercing reference volumes then a stronger amp or AVR may be a good idea.

Most people probably dont listen at really high volumes for extended periods of time. I think people just like to have that cozy warm feeling knowing they have the extra headroom in regard to power.

Another thing to consider is the room you are listening in. If you have a very large room you may need more power to fill the room.

More power sometimes does not always equate to better sound depending on the gear. For instance I have some KEF Q100s and they do go pretty loud, but they seem to run out if steam at certain volumes and lose other characteristics when the woofer is working to hard.

I'm not an audiophile I don't think, but certainly love music and movies. I try and enjoy the music and movies more than listening to imperfections with gear.

It's not necessarily about them getting loud. It's about the dynamics the speakers have and that takes a stout amp to bring that out of the Uni-fi's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here is the other question. If I do get the UF5s for my front speakers and it is fine to use with my SR5012, can I get the matching set from ELAC for my center and surround speakers and Atmos? Or is that too much?

·
Registered
16,972 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Too much" what?

You mean money?

Or unneeded, acoustically?
No I meant too much for my Marantz SR5012 to handle. This entire thread is about my concern over the 4 ohms rating of the speakers I want get. Many seem to think it will be okay to use it for my work speakers. I wanted to know would that mean it would be fine to get the Elac center, surround and Atmos speakers from the same line up (they are all 4 ohms), or would that be too much for my receiver? Sorry I am not sure if I am making sense.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
No I meant too much for my Marantz SR5012 to handle. This entire thread is about my concern over the 4 ohms rating of the speakers I want get. Many seem to think it will be okay to use it for my work speakers. I wanted to know would that mean it would be fine to get the Elac center, surround and Atmos speakers from the same line up (they are all 4 ohms), or would that be too much for my receiver? Sorry I am not sure if I am making sense.
If you listen at typical 60-75db volume levels, should be ok.

But if you like it louder, and/or you want to play it safe, you'd be better off with 8 ohm speakers with sensitivity closer to 90db.

About 15 years ago, Marantz receivers were known for having robust power supplies.

However, in 2017 Marantz was bought by a conglomerate that also owns Denon and Onkyo. I have no idea how their current receivers' hardware is, if they've adopted cost-cutting measures by using smaller/lighter/weaker power supplies while hyping cheap electronic bells and whistles to sell. It does seem like receivers from the early to mid 00s weigh on average 8-10lbs more than today's models.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts