AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have an apartment with a 57" RPTV right now, but would love to pick up a used projector for use on special occasions. I can stick a screen above the tv, and drop it down for movies.

The problem is that I can only mount the projector about 10' away from whereve the screen is. How big of an image can I get with this space issue?

Also, I have noticed that projectors like the x1 don't have component input. I have an HTPC, but don't use it that often. (you can see it in my pictures in my sig). I'm guessing that I'd be using my htpc for playback of dvds if I had a projector.. right?

· Registered
211 Posts
The size of the picture depends on the throw of the projector, but would most likely be bigger than your RPTV at a 10' Throw Distance. ProjectorCentral.com has throw/size calculators for many projectors. Unless you're looking at getting rid of the RPTV, I'd stray away from projectors in your case. Projectors won't give you the contrast ratio of a projector and you'll have to have complete light control to really enjoy the projector. Just my opinion.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cashfan
The size of the picture depends on the throw of the projector, but would most likely be bigger than your RPTV at a 10' Throw Distance. ProjectorCentral.com has throw/size calculators for many projectors. Unless you're looking at getting rid of the RPTV, I'd stray away from projectors in your case. Projectors won't give you the contrast ratio of a projector and you'll have to have complete light control to really enjoy the projector. Just my opinion.
I'd only be using the projector during the night hours, and I can make the living room completely dark.

Really, I'll be in a house in a year or two, with a dedicated theater, and would want a FP setup. I am just itching to get started with FP even in my apartment.

· Registered
211 Posts
Take a look at the projector throw distance calculator on projectorcentral.com and see what you can come up with for different projectors. I don't think you'd be able to get a drastically bigger picture with only 10'.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cashfan
Take a look at the projector throw distance calculator on projectorcentral.com and see what you can come up with for different projectors. I don't think you'd be able to get a drastically bigger picture with only 10'.
indeed.

the x1 gives me about a 62" picture, which isn't really any gain from my 57"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.