AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i am looking to purchase a new plasma tv from either Best Buy or Circuit City. i currently have a 50 inch Pioneer that i love. best tv ever. i also have a 32 inch samsung lcd. i want to spend between 1500-2000 on the new tv. i would love to get another Pioneer but i don't wanna spend another 3000 on one. what is the best plasma tv i can get for 1500-2000. between a 42-50 inch. links and model numbers would be great please.

thanks

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. pretty good deal if you desire a 46"; the 46PZ80U or 46PZ85 (both 1080p) at BB.

edit: if 50" .. 50PZ80U or 50PZ85U.

more: at CC, the Samsung 50A550/A650 or Panasonic 50PZ85U/PZ80U.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
out of the 2 models from samsung and pioneer what brand would you rather go with. they were actually models i was looking at

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope you don't mind if I ask a similar question, I don't want to create another topic with pretty much the same contents

Anyway, after purchasing our fist HDTV, a Toshiba 46xv545u, I've been reading up a lot about LCD and plasma technology, and have really changed my outlook on plasma. I've learned that burn in isn't as bad as it was before, and image retention isn't as bad either. Although I am quite happy with the Toshiba, it has some damaged pixels so we're going to exchange it, but we can still get our money back; so we're considering plasma.

From what I've read, Pioneer or Panasonic is the way to with plasma TV's, so I'm mainly looking at those. After searching Best Buy and Futureshop's website, I've only seen the expensive Kuro's from Pioneer (Over $3000), but Best Buy has some Panasonic TV's within our budget. Our budget is $1700 before tax, but anything cheaper would be great, and 46" is the size we're looking at. I don't know plasma models very well, as I haven't researched them as much, but I've been looking at these..

Panasonic TH50PX80 ($1399.99)

Panasonic THC46FD18 ($1599.99)

Panasonic TH46PZ80 ($1699.99)

The 50" for $1399.99 looks the best price wise, but I'm just not sure about the models and such.

Another thing I'd like to know, is if the logo's from TV stations would be burned in or have IR issues from leaving it on for 3-6 hours per day. I plan to run some of those break-in dvd's before we really start watching. As for gaming, I usually play for 1-2 hours every few days, but most of the TV time will be dedicated to watching movies, or stations.

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
I watch tv for about 3-6 hours a day on weekends. When I watch a movie from comcast on demand, it displays a logo. I have no visible image retention, and no burn-in from it on my panasonic pz80. I too came from an LCD and I was SHOCKED at the difference in image quality. You're making a good choice.

btw... you're prices are WAY off. The tv's you listed are all excellent, but they can all be had for hundreds less.

EDIT: Just saw you're in America Jr.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when i got my Pioneer PDP-5071HD i turned it on and let it run for a week straight didn't power it off. i read a lot and learned alot from this forum. i let it run for a week straight to prevent burn. i mainly watch sports and play xbox 360 on my plasma. love it. i am now looking for a new plasma for the family room and i have looked at the models list above as well. i was trying to get some feedback on what the best model of some of the one's listed above in some of the other reply's were the best. this plasma i will only be using it for watching tv and movies. no game playing. thanks for all your reply's keep them coming.

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts