AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the audiophile world - just purchased my first turntable.

Looking to spend between $500-$750 on a receiver and/or preamp.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,040 Posts
Generally one should spend about 1/3 or less of the budget on electronics, with 2/3 or so spent on speakers since their quality makes the most difference in what you hear.

The room equalization software available in most modern receivers can make a noticeable improvement in acoustics, though. In your price range, Audyssey is the most popular and is provided by many receiver manufacturers (e.g. Denon, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, Integra). Anthem's ARC is comparable, but I think their equipment might be more expensive than your budget. The proprietary equalization packages provided by Pioneer (MCACC) and Yamaha (YACC) don't equalize the subwoofer. (Audyssey MultEQ does. Audyssey 2Eq doesn't.) As best I can tell, Harman-Kardon's EzSet/EQ does not do the full-bandwidth equalization done by the other EQ software packages.

I suggest you make a checklist of the other features that you need, like a phono preamp, and use that list to help choose among the options available on the various products. In some cases, an external phono preamp might be preferable to the more limited phono preamps provided in some of the receivers currently on the market.

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
The nice thing about going with an AVR is that you get room correction. However, most receivers in that range aren't going to have a phono input. Outlaw Audio sells the RR2150 2 channel receiver ($699). It features an MM/MC phono input as well as bass management and a USB DAC in case you're interested in digital audio as well. An alternative would be to purchase an AVR and a separate phono preamp from TCC ($49).

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Phono preamps that are "built-in" to receivers or amplifiers are invariably cheap afterthoughts that cost $20 to make and add. They don't sound all that good.

IMO it is well worth it to spend $150 or so to get a good dedicated phono preamp. The phono sound will be much better.

The Musical Fidelity V-LPS is an excellent one, and the Cambridge 551P is good.

The Denon 1612 is a top-rated receiver at a very good price. Check out the review on it from Home Theater magazine on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesoda238  /t/1417939/looking-to-purchase-new-receiver#post_22175792

I'm new to the audiophile world - just purchased my first turntable.

Looking to spend between $500-$750 on a receiver and/or preamp.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts