AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a disclaimer, I would consider myself an audiophile, however this is on the sound reinforcement (pro audio) side of the coin. As someone who values learning, I'm wanting to learn more about the home audio side of things.

That being said, I currently own a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver. I'm only using it for 2-channel audio right now. When I bought it, I had the space and speakers to run it in 5.1. I've been without 5.1 for 5 years now, and I don't miss it at all.

I'm currently powering an Acoustimass 3 system with it(don't judge). They sound 'OK'. The only reason they sound okay (okay is subjective here) is because I've scooped out pretty much most of the low-mids on the receiver. Most likely where the crossover point is between the subs and the cubes.

I'm looking to upgrade to floor speakers, and my budget is around $500 for the pair. I'm completely open to auditioning whatever brands people may suggest, and Bose will not be in the equation at all.

As far as what will be output on these, all varieties of musical styles, movies, and Xbox 360 games. I'm looking for a pretty 'neutral' speaker, no exaggerated frequencies, just a good clean pair of cabinets.

Fire away, and thanks in advance for helping a n00b out.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I know this isn't what you're asking for, but you might consider a 2.1 setup. You're asking a lot to get a good floor stander in this price range. You should seriously look into the Behringer B2031P for $250, see if it satisfies you, then if needed add a decent sub. Like this 15" Dayton Kit . The Behringer monitor has been tested and verified to have very high performance drive units, and you basically wont find any budget products that compare to its performance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1
I know this isn't what you're asking for, but you might consider a 2.1 setup. You're asking a lot to get a good floor stander in this price range. The Behringer monitor has been tested and verified to have very high performance drive units, and you basically wont find any budget products that compare to its performance.
I used to own a set of KRK Rokit 8 monitors back in the day, but I didn't think about using those for my mains. What stands would be recommended for those to get them to ear height? I also have a 1 year old running around the house right now, so a problem there might be having one of those topple over on him.

I just got an email today that Newegg is running a promo on a pre-order of MartinLogan Motion 10 floor speakers. With a coupon code you can get them for $199 a piece...I can't post a link yet because I don't have enough posts.

The room this is going in isn't too big, maybe 12 by 16. Listening spot is about 10 feet from the speakers. This is in a townhome, so low-end propagation needs to be at a minimum anyways, I forgot to mention that in my original post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrio /forum/post/20842886

I bet these Yamahas would do the trick: (you said you like a clean and neutral sound)

Two of them for 490$, don't know about shippping though. They are big! Maybe you are nearby and can pick them up?

Those look nice. If buy them from the Amazon.com seller, I have a prime membership and they'd give me free 2-day shipping on those. We lost Ultimate Electronics in this area which I think carried Yamaha speakers, and they had a decent selection of different brands, now I'm not sure where to go to audition these things in our area...

·
Registered
315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler /forum/post/20842988

Those look nice. If buy them from the Amazon.com seller, I have a prime membership and they'd give me free 2-day shipping on those. We lost Ultimate Electronics in this area which I think carried Yamaha speakers, and they had a decent selection of different brands, now I'm not sure where to go to audition these things in our area...

Look closely, these are not eligible for Amazon Prime free shipping .

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler
I just got an email today that Newegg is running a promo on a pre-order of MartinLogan Motion 10 floor speakers. With a coupon code you can get them for $199 a piece...I can't post a link yet because I don't have enough posts.

The room this is going in isn't too big, maybe 12 by 16. Listening spot is about 10 feet from the speakers. This is in a townhome, so low-end propagation needs to be at a minimum anyways, I forgot to mention that in my original post.
For that price, get the Motion 10's. It's a no brainer. And since you are dumping the acoustimass, you WILL NEED a sub, regardless of the speakers you choose.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welll, you would certainly need a sub with those Martin Logans. Just checked the specs: 65 to 25kHz. I have also read about poor quality construction, and for 35" tall floorstanders, 22 pounds does seem a bit on the fliimsy side. (the 777's weigh 53 pounds each)

I still think the NS-777 are the way to go, 30-35kHz, solidly made, and a good price. Try to track down that dealer for a listen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20844831

How about a pair of Polk Monitor 70s ?

The price is certainly right.

Has any one demoed the Polk's and compared them to the Boston Acoustics? The price is kinda hard to believe on these... I assume the cabinets are more cheaply made on these because of their price point?

I know either one will sound better than the Bose...

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler /forum/post/20852393

Has any one demoed the Polk's and compared them to the Boston Acoustics? The price is kinda hard to believe on these... I assume the cabinets are more cheaply made on these because of their price point?

I know either one will sound better than the Bose...

The Monitor 70s aren't high end speakers but they are quite good for the price. Maybe better than they should be for the price. They are cheap because Polk cranks these things out like hotcakes. The more you make of the same thing the cheaper they are to make - economies of scale.

I've heard Monitor 30s and 40s and I thought they sounded very good considering their price. Having said that I always zero in on the highs - tweeters - when I listen to speakers - then on the mids and lows. I thought the tweeters were very acceptable sounding - the mids seemed to have plenty of punch. Not much lows but they do roll off at 50hz - if you can believe Polk.

The 70s are speced to 30hz - I'd call that a stretch unless Polk is rating them at +or- 10db or so. Just my opinion of course but I'm sure they'd sound good even without a sub.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/0

The Monitor 70s aren't high end speakers but they are quite good for the price. Maybe better than they should be for the price. They are cheap because Polk cranks these things out like hotcakes. The more you make of the same thing the cheaper they are to make - economies of scale.

I've heard Monitor 30s and 40s and I thought they sounded very good considering their price. Having said that I always zero in on the highs - tweeters - when I listen to speakers - then on the mids and lows. I thought the tweeters were very acceptable sounding - the mids seemed to have plenty of punch. Not much lows but they do roll off at 50hz - if you can believe Polk.

The 70s are speced to 30hz - I'd call that a stretch unless Polk is rating them at +or- 10db or so. Just my opinion of course but I'm sure they'd sound good even without a sub.

I'd be happy if they could reach 40hz, even if it was 10db down.

I wish someone in our area had the Polks and Bostons on display so I could compare how they reproduce the highs.

Too many choices...

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
They are so cheap because they aren't made in the USA...And they may go down to 30 Hz...completely unusable 30Hz but 30Hz nonetheless.

As stated earlier, it does not matter WHAT speaker you get, you WILL NEED a SUBWOOFER...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler /forum/post/20841507

I used to own a set of KRK Rokit 8 monitors back in the day, but I didn't think about using those for my mains. What stands would be recommended for those to get them to ear height? I also have a 1 year old running around the house right now, so a problem there might be having one of those topple over on him.

You could always get a pair of subs like these 19" high, $160 Allison AL10's as stands for the Behringer monitors. A few layers of double sided tape will keep the speakers planted on the subs, and damp vibrations. Again, this will be far better then any $500pr speakers from top to bottom.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I might try and find a store around here to audition the Yamaha's. Looking at some of the reviews on other forums they seem pretty favorable for "neutral" sound. The NS-555 and NS-777 look like they would be in the ball park of price.

The only thing is they look a little less efficient than some of the other cabinets that we've been talking about.

BTW, this site has been a good way to pass the time at work recently. You all have been very helpful, and I appreciate that.

Anyone have good recommendations on an inexpensive, powered sub? The Alison that was mentioned, looks interesting. Again, this is a townhome, so I don't need my low end to shake the house...

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler /forum/post/20859590

I think I might try and find a store around here to audition the Yamaha's. Looking at some of the reviews on other forums they seem pretty favorable for "neutral" sound. The NS-555 and NS-777 look like they would be in the ball park of price.

The only thing is they look a little less efficient than some of the other cabinets that we've been talking about.

Yes, Packet, I think you shoulld make the effort to audition them. Two things stand out in my mind: 500 bucks and neutral sound. I have been a long-time Yamaha owner (starting with the now-famous NS-1000M, and including the cheap NS-300, and now with NS-6HX). As an example, the NS-300 were really cheap, I think a couple of hundred bucks the pair and they are absoulutely brilliant. I believe they were 200W rating, and I don't know much about efficiencies, but I have always been driviing them with normal ampllifiers and they will easily go into neighbour disturbing territory - I cann't imagine that in a townhouse you coulld possibly want louder.

ALL my Yamahas sound best cranked up a bit. At that point, any perceived lack of bass disappears and they sound great. I presently also have a sub-woofer to help out with low liistening levels, but I still maintain that a sub is not necessary at higher levels (and I think the 777's with the two 8" woofers per tower woulld be even better). Discalaimer: I have never heard the 777's. When I say higher levels, I don't mean ear-splitting. Juust something that you might think is a tad high after midnight in the townhouse.

If you DO manage to arrange an audition, take along a favorite CD. I'm sure you'll discover a lot of detail that hasnn't been revealed before.

Sorry to other posters here about this plug. It seems I am often trumpeting Yamaha speakers without having a roomful of other speakers to compare them to. But I remember when I bought the NS-1000M's, I compared them to a bunch of quite expensive systems, and they won, hands down. Maybe I just liike Yamahas sound philosophy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrio /forum/post/20865046

Yes, Packet, I think you shoulld make the effort to audition them. Two things stand out in my mind: 500 bucks and neutral sound. I have been a long-time Yamaha owner (starting with the now-famous NS-1000M, and including the cheap NS-300, and now with NS-6HX). As an example, the NS-300 were really cheap, I think a couple of hundred bucks the pair and they are absoulutely brilliant. I believe they were 200W rating, and I don't know much about efficiencies, but I have always been driviing them with normal ampllifiers and they will easily go into neighbour disturbing territory - I cann't imagine that in a townhouse you coulld possibly want louder.

ALL my Yamahas sound best cranked up a bit. At that point, any perceived lack of bass disappears and they sound great. I presently also have a sub-woofer to help out with low liistening levels, but I still maintain that a sub is not necessary at higher levels (and I think the 777's with the two 8" woofers per tower woulld be even better). Discalaimer: I have never heard the 777's. When I say higher levels, I don't mean ear-splitting. Juust something that you might think is a tad high after midnight in the townhouse.

If you DO manage to arrange an audition, take along a favorite CD. I'm sure you'll discover a lot of detail that hasnn't been revealed before.

Sorry to other posters here about this plug. It seems I am often trumpeting Yamaha speakers without having a roomful of other speakers to compare them to. But I remember when I bought the NS-1000M's, I compared them to a bunch of quite expensive systems, and they won, hands down. Maybe I just liike Yamahas sound philosophy.

I was on lunch break today, seeing if my local Best Buy might have these on display, since it was listed on Yamaha's site. I wandered into the Magnolia listening rooms, and asked about the NS-777, they mentioned they don't carry the Yamaha speakers anymore.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I wanted to see what it would sound like if I doubled my budget, and they had the B&W 684B speakers on display. All I can say is wow. I think I just shifted my budget up about $500. I was impressed at how clean they were throughout the audio spectrum. They had a very surprising amount of low-end (no subs were enabled). I played a couple of different tracks of my own through them, and already noticed subtle instrumentation that I hadn't before. And this was as a room twice the size of the one I would put them in.

The size of the cabinets is perfect, they don't take up too much space.

Did I just open up a whole other can of worms?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts