AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know, I know, Bose sucks. I got suckered into buying these from a Best Buy rep a while back. Well, two weeks ago a pipe burst and my home sustained heavy water damage. My speakers and sub got water from above as well as my Vizio tv. Insurance wants me to send speakers and tv in for water damage testing, but I can't find a company that will do it in my area, which means I would have to find boxes and ship to the manufacturer. At this point I'm fed up and may just give up with the insurance and buy new equipment on my own. It's funny how the adjuster saw Bose and said he had Bose at home and sounded proud, while I was ashamed.

The question is what should I replace the front, center, and sub with? I'd like to stay somewhere around the range of $300 for Front $150 for center, $150 for sub). I used these primarily for watching movies and may make the 301s - If they still work - the rear speakers.

My current setup:

Receiver: Denon AVR-791

Sub: KLH KSUB-10

Front: Bose 301V

Center: VCS-10

Rear: Bose 161

Vizio 42'' LCD TV.

My room is kind of large (25' L x 14' W, but not great for acoustics (lots of open spaces, rectangular, loft style)

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance! And if anyone knows how to navigate the insurance nightmare and has any tips I'll be very grateful!

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
+1 mark62's lower budget recommendations - the Cambridge Audio or HTD Level 2 speakers (both slightly under your budget) with the Dayton Sub.

If you can spend extra on the sub the SVS PB-1000 he mentioned would be a very noticeable step up.

For the HTD Level 3 speakers budget range there are a couple of other options to also consider ...

- The Arx A1b (you can use either a 3rd A1b as a center, they're sold individually, or the A2rx center speaker)

- The Ascend CMB-170 (if you call Ascend they will typically sell a single 170 for a center, or you can use the CMT-340 center)

All the speakers mentioned are good choices and commonly recommended at their price point here in the forums. And all would be a substantial improvement over your old Bose system

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24254953

+1 mark62's lower budget recommendations - the Cambridge Audio or HTD Level 2 speakers (both slightly under your budget) with the Dayton Sub.

If you can spend extra on the sub the SVS PB-1000 he mentioned would be a very noticeable step up.

For the HTD Level 3 speakers budget range there are a couple of other options to also consider ...

- The Arx A1b (you can use either a 3rd A1b as a center, they're sold individually, or the A2rx center speaker)

- The Ascend CMB-170 (if you call Ascend they will typically sell a single 170 for a center, or you can use the CMT-340 center)

All the speakers mentioned are good choices and commonly recommended at their price point here in the forums. And all would be a substantial improvement over your old Bose system

agree on the Arx and ascends +1

and yeah his jaw would drop to the floor with any of these compared to Bose

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input! I have seen the reviews for the Cambridge Audio S30 somewhere around here. Does anyone know if the Cambridge SX50 or even the SX60 is a better choice?

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos.h  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24256238

Thanks to everyone for their input! I have seen the reviews for the Cambridge Audio S30 somewhere around here. Does anyone know if the Cambridge SX50 or even the SX60 is a better choice?

They do not look, or seem to be better - and not as smooth as the S series.

That is based on a couple of comments.

·
Registered
321 Posts
From everything I'm seen so far, there's no real reason to go with the SX over the S30 unless you can get on sale for cheaper as it seems people somewhat prefer the S30 over them.

And I'll give a +1 to all the suggestions listed too, and give another choice with the HSU HB-1 MK2

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24256288

From everything I'm seen so far, there's no real reason to go with the SX over the S30 unless you can get on sale for cheaper as it seems people somewhat prefer the S30 over them.

And I'll give a +1 to all the suggestions listed too, and give another choice with the HSU HB-1 MK2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24256282

They do not look, or seem to be better - and not as smooth as the S series.

That is based on a couple of comments.

+1 Esp. now that the S30's are on close-out prices at accessories4less. Just make sure you get your center now since the S series in end-of-life. FWIW, if it were me I'd probably skip the S50 horizontal center and get an additional pair of S30's - use one as my center (upright since they're only 9" tall) and then have an extra for backup, or use it as a "back" speaker for a 6.1 setup.

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24254953

I'm considering the Ascend CMB-170 for a 2.1/3.1 system. How do these perform for movies in terms of dialogue/voice with regard to clarity? I already have a sub so I don't need them to hit too low. I'm looking for midrange and clarity.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24256617

I'm considering the Ascend CMB-170 for a 2.1/3.1 system. How do these perform for movies in terms of dialogue/voice with regard to clarity? I already have a sub so I don't need them to hit too low. I'm looking for midrange and clarity.

they are highly regarded speakers. they should be very good. try them out, if you dont like them send them back.

what is your sub?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24256617

Clarity and detail would be considered CMB-170 strengths by most people, esp. in the vocal ranges. As mark62 said "try them out, if you don't like them send them back".

All the speakers in your thread so far are often recommended, best-bang-for-the-buck at their respective price points

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24256629

they are highly regarded speakers. they should be very good. try them out, if you dont like them send them back.

what is your sub?

Yeah it'll be movies/TV and music about 50/50. I'll add a center later on. My sub is budget too, Polk PSW10. I haven't used it with receiver(which I'm getting soon too) yet, so I hope it'll be a bit better. I'm saving up for a PB1000(hopefully they go on sale sinnce the 2000's are out now).
I just wanna add things as I go so I can get something decent in the end.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just hooked up 3 CBM-170's across the front and 2 HTM-200's as rears in my parents' basement and they sound great. Would certainly recommend them to others. Those with the Denon e300 and Audussey seem to be a good setup. Now I need to update their old KLH sub.

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24256629

what is your sub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24256656

Clarity and detail would be considered CMB-170 strengths by most people, esp. in the vocal ranges. As mark62 said "try them out, if you don't like them send them back".

All the speakers in your thread so far are often recommended, best-bang-for-the-buck at their respective price points

You guys aren't making this any easier
:p I'm torn between a few. HVL-1's, CMB-170, CA S30, NHT classic Two, Def Tech SM45! I'm ready to just go the eeni-meeni-miney-mo route
:eek:

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24259114

:p I'm torn between a few. HVL-1's, CMB-170, CA S30, NHT classic Two, Def Tech SM45! I'm ready to just go the eeni-meeni-miney-mo route

I have not listened to the HVL-1 or CBM-170 > however, I would lean towards the CBM-170

Now to make it easier - between the CA-S30, NHT-C2 and SM-45 > I would choose the JBL Studio 530

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24259171

I have not listened to the HVL-1 or CBM-170 > however, I would lean towards the CBM-170

Now to make it easier - between the CA-S30, NHT-C2 and SM-45 > I would choose the JBL Studio 530

I've looked at those but they're too tall(18") for my application, which is on media cabinet under TV.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24259321

I've looked at those but they're too tall(18") for my application, which is on media cabinet under TV.

Well then - to continue to make your decision easy - my preference over the

Studio 530, is the Boston E60 >> a serious good speaker, and use to list for

$600 each
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-E60-Performance-Bookshelf/dp/B001H9O1CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390584533&sr=8-1&keywords=bOSTON+E60

Enjoy the adventure - you do have some nice options

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24259476

Well then - to continue to make your decision easy - my preference over the

Studio 530, is the Boston E60 >> a serious good speaker, and use to list for

$600 each
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-E60-Performance-Bookshelf/dp/B001H9O1CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390584533&sr=8-1&keywords=bOSTON+E60

Enjoy the adventure - you do have some nice options

Thanks. That price is each, correct? Also do they NEED stands? For me they will be on media cabinet.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz  /t/1513640/looking-to-replace-bose-after-10-years-and-water-damage#post_24259114

The HVL-1's are designed by the same guy that does the Ascends.. they may be a great bang for the buck....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts