AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Definitive 7002's that I've had for probably going on 7 years. I bought them before I had a good understanding of speakers and room design. Basically they are not the speaker I need for my room, nor never have been.

The room is 20x18 with a cut out on 1 side where the speakers are. I cannot place them where they need to be, far away from the wall.

My grand plan was to get a set of line array's. I gravitate towards detail in music and they had a great amount of detail. However time has never come my way to take on a project like this and now we own our own business so time is even less.

I currently have an Yamaha Advantage A1000 but that will most likely get replaced with a A3000. I learned my lesson not to buy something as soon as it comes out, the prices on the A3000 are ridiculous compared to what I paid for my 1000.

Plus sound wise the A1000 was a slight disappointment in comparison to the RXV-2600 it replaced but I think that is the lower wattage on the amp.

I have the CLR2500 center and the BP2X rears which I plan on keeping for now.

The speakers need to be placed within at least 12 inches of the wall, probably closer. One speaker will have nothing behind it for at least 36 inches because the wall cuts in.

We sit 14ft from the TV/speakers. 50 percent movies/50 percent music. The room has 18ft ceilings so I know I'm looking at separate subs too.

Budget...not sure...I figure I can get 1200-1400 for my 7002's...so maybe 3-4 thousand with 1 sub?

WAF is not a concern, this is her idea not mine
She would go for the line arrays if I thought I could build them/buy them but no one seems to sell them anymore in finish form that would be within my budget with subs...but if I could get a set for the right price I'd push the budget to buy separate subs.

I used to follow all this stuff closely but now its all on the outside, looking for a place to start.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
What is it about them that makes you say "they were never for my room." I have had 7001's for a few years now and still like them quite a bit. I recently purchased a used set of dynaudio speakers. I have listened to a lot of speakers over the last 30+ years and found the dynes to be the ones that sounded the best to me. I use the definitives in a 9.1 system and 2 channel as well. I like the way they fill the room with a large yet well defined soundstage. The dyns are very articulate and place you more in the front row. Most people will tell you to audition as many speakers as you can and choose the ones that sound best to you. I agree.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman /forum/post/20877973

What is it about them that makes you say "they were never for my room." I have had 7001's for a few years now and still like them quite a bit. I recently purchased a used set of dynaudio speakers. I have listened to a lot of speakers over the last 30+ years and found the dynes to be the ones that sounded the best to me. I use the definitives in a 9.1 system and 2 channel as well. I like the way they fill the room with a large yet well defined soundstage. The dyns are very articulate and place you more in the front row. Most people will tell you to audition as many speakers as you can and choose the ones that sound best to you. I agree.

Bipolar speakers in my room do not work well. I cannot place them far enough away from the wall.

Plus we have cats, tired of replacing the socks(and yes I'd like to replace the cat)...subs are bit small for the room.

Like to see what else is out there too. Lastly, when the wife wants to buy toys you don't stop and ask

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
That is a definite drawback to bipolars, they need to be away from from the rear walls. I hear you re the green light from the wife, gotta get something before she changes her mind. I would definitely recommend dynaudio. Salk song towers get a lot of praise. I also like the paradigm signature series. I will say I heard a lot of highly regarded speaker that i was less than impressed with. Do you have any places you can go within a reasonable distance to audition speakers? I bought my dyns from audiogon. I was lucky the seller lived near me. I went to go hear them and bought them on the spot.

·
Registered
20,336 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman /forum/post/20878570

That is a definite drawback to bipolars, they need to be away from from the rear walls. I hear you re the green light from the wife, gotta get something before she changes her mind. I would definitely recommend dynaudio. Salk song towers get a lot of praise. I also like the paradigm signature series. I will say I heard a lot of highly regarded speaker that i was less than impressed with. Do you have any places you can go within a reasonable distance to audition speakers? I bought my dyns from audiogon. I was lucky the seller lived near me. I went to go hear them and bought them on the spot.

Auditioning speakers is tough. Unless I'm taking them home and listening to them it doesn't do me much good. I was thinking of going and looking at a set of Maggies tomorrow night.

Although I found a set of GR-Research LS9's for sale for my budget number...and I've heard a line array in the house before and it seemed to fit the room perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG /forum/post/20878854

If your are going to keep the 2500 and BP2X, the Mythos Ones with an SC1 or the Mythos STs would be a good match. However the ones have the older woofers and tweeters like your CC and surrounds, the STs have the new ones.

I looked at the ST and a local dealer does carry them, same dealer I bought my 7002's from so maybe could convince them to let me borrow the ST's for a day or two to try out.

Not sure if I want to stick with integrated subs or look at a separate sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/20878880

Start by looking at front ported speakers - Focal is one good option.

I reccomend that you timbre (voice) match, the fronts with a new center.
http://www.spearitsound.com/focal/focal_800_series.htm
http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=focal

Also, check into the subwoofer experts, for your sub.

Epik, HSU, SVS and Elemental Designs are some options.

I assume the front port means I could put them closer to the wall?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went tonight and listened to some Mythos ST's.

It was an untreated room. We both enjoyed them quite a bit. They put them pretty close to the wall to give us a better idea.

The only other option was the B&Ws but they were too small physically. Although size doesn't matter in a speaker even their 'big' speaker was tiny to sit on the floor.

They had a pair on the floor for 2 weeks and offered me discount pricing on the floor models which were in perfect shape. Worked out to be 21 percent off their floor price which was already discounted 6 percent since they include tax in their floor pricing.

Heading out on a cruise in 2 days and won't be back in town so I put a deposit down. If I get a chance to listen to Maggie's I will but considering the experience I've had with DefTech in the past and their customer support I liked them enough to put them at the top of the list.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly /forum/post/0

Went tonight and listened to some Mythos ST's.

It was an untreated room. We both enjoyed them quite a bit. They put them pretty close to the wall to give us a better idea.

The only other option was the B&Ws but they were too small physically. Although size doesn't matter in a speaker even their 'big' speaker was tiny to sit on the floor.

They had a pair on the floor for 2 weeks and offered me discount pricing on the floor models which were in perfect shape. Worked out to be 21 percent off their floor price which was already discounted 6 percent since they include tax in their floor pricing.

Heading out on a cruise in 2 days and won't be back in town so I put a deposit down. If I get a chance to listen to Maggie's I will but considering the experience I've had with DefTech in the past and their customer support I liked them enough to put them at the top of the list.

Check out Bajawaverunner on EBay. He works for the parent company that sells Deftech and you can get great deals on refurbs. I saved around 50% off my surrounds this way and they looked brand new with no issues.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would look at buying a sub pretty much with any speaker you choose. I have the BP7001s and I even use a SVS with those. DT makes great speakers but their built in subs should never ever be considered as stand alone subs because they can't go as low or as tight as a stand alone subwoofer can. Heck my 7001s are set to small and crossed at 40hz because if set to Large the bass becomes bloated sounding. Once set to small and the built in subs used as Mid bass subs the bass tightened up and was very quick and tight. Considering the true frequency response of the built ins are linear flat to about 27hz (and not the 16hz claimed by DT) this made sense as to why my bass sounded bloated, but once crossed at 40hz the built in susb had room to breathe without even breaking a sweat.

look at adding a SVS, Hsu, ED or Epik to any speaker you go with even if it has a built in "sub" or not. You'll find with proper calibration your bass response will be quick, loud and tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.