AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best dvd player under the 700 mark? Who would care to take a stab at it?? Help me out on this one please. I know I have to sell my 91 first but that should go fast. I bought it for 650 bucks 7 months ago but I still want to upgrade. I like to upgrade to new and better things as I like new toys. Should I wait for dvi on players. I know samsung is supposed to have one but with the quality of the panny?? I needs to have dvd audio and if possible sacd. Ok lets hear it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Used or Refurb Denon 3800 - Or wait till 2900 comes out they may street

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I don't think you'll find anything right now.

The thought of a Denon 2900 seems risky, but there's lots of chatter about it here. I remember the last 2 Denons getting the same amount of talk, only to fall on their face.

I'm in the same boat with my 91, but I'm not moving away from it until there's a clear winner. Looks like end of the year before we'll know.

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
I just ordered the Bravo D1 w/DVI output. Went on sale tonight. I will post how it compares to my Panny 91 into my Marantz S2. Not sure, but for $200. Why not? If it stinks, It'll be great in the bedroom. ;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gentlemen,

If you want the best of the best without having to worry if the unit is going to fall flat on its face, there is only one machine to consider...

The Samsung DVD-HD1000 with the firmware upgrade!

I recently received mine, and DAMN! I was not planning on spending as much as this machine costs, but after reading all of the threads regarding this piece I thought to myself, "Self, if you do not like it, you can always sell it." Yeah, right! That would be like saying the Holy Grail is just another cup...Sure whatever!

This machine is built like a brick outhouse, and after seeing the performance of this machine on a ISF calibrated 34" Toshiba monitor outputting 1080i...WOW!!!

There is no other words to say. I know this is beyond your limit of 7-bills, but if you want to end the search once and for all...Get the Samsung DVD-HD1000 and you will learn to rediscover your entire DVD collection, and you get DVD-Audio to boot.

My two pennies.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Segaboy,

Is anyone currently selling the Samsung with the upgrade? I thought these were all gone and never to be had again.

Rob

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Keep your 91 for the bedroom if your going to upgrade. I just picked one up from One Call for $335 delivered , so I doubt you'll get $200 for it used...maybe.

As for the 91. I really like it despite the occasional combing. The image is pristine to my eyes and the features and remote are much better than the XP30 (now in my bedroom). I found myself standing 3 feet from my screen looking for problems with the 91, but realized I was not enjoying the experience. It's much more comfortable further back in my chair and I can't see any problems from there.

I think some of us (me included) get too tied up in what's the best machine. We really should pop open a beer and relax and enjoy. After a few beers the artifacts will go away on any player.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
The HD1000 is definatly an interesting choice, but gimme a break with 1500.00 bucks. I suppose the idea of uping to 1080 thru componant is compelling for those of us that don't have a DVI imput. The alternative being a new TV and the Samsung 931.

The darn copy protection thing.

Moving to 1080 is pricey right now. I'm just as frustrated with having to spend close to 1000.00 for a HiDef STB & Dish.

My TV says HD on the front and I've yet to see what that looks like.

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.