AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
No AFAIK there no sound cards that support the A&M protocol and are 5C/DTCP certified. There doesn't seem to be a big push for them since i.Link is very popular it' just getting started so they don't want to spend the money just yet to implement it when no one will use it no even computer junkies since most of them don't have the necessary equipment. The i.Link audio is a very very small part of the market right now.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
132 Posts
Kipp,

I know you are a firewire supporter, and what you suggest certainly makes sense, but while we are waiting for the computer interface and software to accomplish what you want, there are already other digital alternatives, some relatively inexpensive. I own an Audiotron which lives with my other audio components, connects to my computer by ethernet, and to my decoder by optical cable. It works quite well and is much less expensive than hard drive media servers.

Robb

·
Registered
565 Posts
Is there ANY way to connect a cpu to a processor so I could play cpu games through my surround system and not have to buy extra cpu speakers and junk like the Audigy 6.1 card. I want quality cpu sound.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by OaklandRobb
Kipp,

I know you are a firewire supporter, and what you suggest certainly makes sense, but while we are waiting for the computer interface and software to accomplish what you want, there are already other digital alternatives, some relatively inexpensive. I own an Audiotron which lives with my other audio components, connects to my computer by ethernet, and to my decoder by optical cable. It works quite well and is much less expensive than hard drive media servers.

Robb
Robb,

thanks for the tip. That is a pretty cool device I am going to look into.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The new 59TXi has an multi-ch USB input where it can process multi-ch formats from a computer. So it would act like a soundcard for the CPU; that might be what you're looking for.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think there are length limitations with USB that may create problems with a computer in one room and the audio system in another.

Robb

·
Registered
187 Posts
A soundcard with a SPDIF out (most of them have it) or a simple external convertor (such as Soundblaster's Extigy) can easily convert CPU sound to digital format.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just an FYI, I've connected my Apple PowerBook laptop to my 49TXi... it is capable of controlling the volume (boy thats weird BTW..) the system sees the Amp and gives me the option of many mixes, from 1 channel all the way to 8 channel 24-bit 96Khz.. amazing..

But unfortunatly the 49TXi just ignores the output from the Mac. I'm hoping Apple (or a firmware update on the 49) will eventually fix this, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've so far waited in buying a firewire capable DVD player.. but when I get it I plan on playing with it, with my Mac(s).

Does anyone know for sure that the 49TXi _requires_ 5C/DTCP? I figured it was just the A&M that was required and the other was on-top of that.

--Mark

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a Powerbook G4 and I connected it to the 49TXi also. How did you get it to control volume? I'll have to try that.

BTW, i.Link has a lenth limitation of I believe 10m, I assume it'd be similiar with USB since they are very similiar connection.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just connected it.. when I moved the volume slider in OS X, the volume on my amp changed.. needless to say it was a tad bizzare at first.. (considering I had my volume on my PowerBook basically at 100%.. so the amp went to 100%..)

It was a bit flakey though.. the manual for the 49TXi says you should only connect the i.Link with the power off to all devices.. (which is odd since the whole point of firewire is hot plug.. but ANYWAY)

I did get my 49TXi "stuck" though once, and had to do a full reset on it to fix it.. (I don't remember what I had to do.. but it involved holding something in on powerup of the 49..)

BTW if you do hook it up, go to the MIDI control panel on OS X (under applications/utilities if I remember right).. Thats where all of the 8 channel stuff appeared.

--Mark

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok I figured out the volume thing, I went to system preferences and then sound and selected the VSX-49TX, I upgraded mine so it said TX not TXi what does your say. Then I used the F4 and F5 buttons to raise the volume it raises them in 4dB increments and f3 mutes the receiver. After posting that last thread I close the browser to see a new update for OS X is available 10.2.8 and the description says new firewire compatability and audio improvements so I'll see if that makes a difference but I doubt it. BTW the reason you can't transmit audio is because you can't assign the Mac to an input.

Go to system profiler and then go to devices and volumes and click on the arrow next to firewire on that page (make sure receiver is connected) and it will give you some info on your receiver. That's how I first noticed that they talked to each other. I'll post my screenshot I took of this page here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...774&fullpage=1

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
761 Posts
Also another weird thing is that I can't move the volume higher than +6dB with the computer when the limit should be +12dB.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok so I downloaded the new OS X and of course it didn't work as expected. But I learned that if you turn the input dial on the 49TX there's a hidden input between the DVD and Phono inputs and that's where the Macintosh was conneced. When I turned it there the display on the receiver said Macintosh and flashed a "CANNOT LINK 2" error message. That error message specifically means that the reciver cannot recognize that source and the manual gives the example of the receiver not being able to recognize i.Link capable personal computers.

Also I looked at the Midi setup program and can't find anything about 8ch I can only find 2ch. Do you have some sortof surround program or something?

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks like the latest versions of things have changed stuff.. Unfortunatly I'm not by my 49TXi this week (on a work trip.) Next week when I get home I'll give it a try and see what comes up.

--Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.