AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Alright guys, so this is actually my first post on this forum. I currently work at BestBuy and would like to finally furnish my apartment with some nice speakers. Now i'm going to be using this setup almost exclusively for music. I work at BestBuy, have an internship, and go to school full time so I don't have time to watch much tv. I listen to pretty much anything and everything. From Michael Buble to The Glitch Mob. The only things I don't listen to are classical and country. Most of the music I listen to has a lot of emphasis on the bass, like EDM, reggae, and R&B. 

So first question, I live in a probably 750 sq foot apartment in the city. It's not a huge place so I'm not sure if I would rather go with a set of bookshelfs or towers. For a small apartment what would be the better option?

If I was to go with bookshelf speakers then I was thinking with picking up a pair of the B&W 685B. 

If I was to go with towers then I'm looking at the B&W 683B or the BP-8040ST Def tech. I really like the Def Tech towers simply because they have the built in sub which really sounds good with the type of music that I listen to.

As far as subwoofers go, I obviously wouldn't get a sub if I went with the Def Tech towers but it would be almost a requirement if I went with either B&W speakers. For a sub I was looking at the B&W ASW68STB or the Def tech PSUB1000BLA.

Now on to receivers. The receiver that I was looking at was the Marantz SR5008.

I'm just looking to see what you guys think. I don't know too much about the technical side of audio. I simply sell these products a lot so i'm telling you guys what I like based off of what I demo. If you guys have some recommendations for me please let me know! I'd love to learn more about the technical side of audio because I absolutely love music and it would help me do my job better. 

Thanks for the help guys! If you guys have recommendations for me then just let me know! I'm not dead set on these products. These are just some products that have caught my attention so let me know if you know of something that you think I would like! Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Normally I would ask for budget, and I would tell you spend your money some place that is not best buy as you will get more for you money, but you get an employee discount. So buy what sounds good to you.

I wouldn't get either of those subwoofers though money spent at an internet direct company is a better route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Where would you recommend me look? I'll still prolly go with BestBuy simply because of my discount but i'm still curious.

What would a better subwoofer be?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylef5993  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...rantz-def-tech-and-b-w-products#post_24521482

Where would you recommend me look? I'll still prolly go with BestBuy simply because of my discount but i'm still curious.

What would a better subwoofer be?
A subwoofer from Outlaw Audio, SVS Sound, Rhythmik, or Reaction Audio would be a better buy interms of bas performance.

It sounds like you are looking for music system not a home theater. Focal is a brand worthing looking at for speakers. So would be Ascend Acoustics.

You are better off on telling use the brands that are available to you so we can make a recommendation from here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...rantz-def-tech-and-b-w-products#post_24521521

A subwoofer from Outlaw Audio, SVS Sound, Rhythmik, or Reaction Audio would be a better buy interms of bas performance.

It sounds like you are looking for music system not a home theater. Focal is a brand worthing looking at for speakers. So would be Ascend Acoustics.

You are better off on telling use the brands that are available to you so we can make a recommendation from here.

Yeah I am looking for more of a music system than a home theatre.

As far as bookshelves, I only have a couple of brands to choose from, B&W, Def Tech, Focal, Energy, KEF, and Martin Logan.

Towers: B&W, Def Tech, Energy, KEF, and Martin logan.

Subs: AudioEngine, B&W, Def tech, Energy, Focal, jamo, KEF, martin logan, Niles, and Velodyne

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Focal or KEF are great speakers to look at and give a listen. These are two brands I would listen to.

As for subwoofers ignore all those if you have $500 to spend on a subwoofer alone you will be better off looking towards internet direct company. $500 there is like spending $800 at best buy.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
IIRC my Best Buy only carries the KEF C-series, which I would stay away from.

If you like the B&W sound and have listened to all the rest, then go with B&W. I would probably get the 685s and a sub, since you like bass-heavy music. Stay away from Best Buy subs though, even with your employee discount you are not getting good value. Internet Direct subs will be a huge upgrade, I would consider something from the VTF line at HSU, or a sealed sub from SVS. Those Reaction subs look good on paper, but I have not seen a review yet.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...rantz-def-tech-and-b-w-products#post_24522433

If you like the B&W sound and have listened to all the rest, then go with B&W. I would probably get the 685s and a sub, since you like bass-heavy music. Stay away from Best Buy subs though, even with your employee discount you are not getting good value. Internet Direct subs will be a huge upgrade, I would consider something from the VTF line at HSU, or a sealed sub from SVS. Those Reaction subs look good on paper, but I have not seen a review yet.
Better advice, I wasn't aware that best buy only carried the C-series

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...rantz-def-tech-and-b-w-products#post_24522433

Alright now you guys got me thinking. Should I disregard B&W and look at Focal or KEF for my bookshelfs?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylef5993  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...rantz-def-tech-and-b-w-products#post_24522821

Alright now you guys got me thinking. Should I disregard B&W and look at Focal or KEF for my bookshelfs?

I think the Focal Chorus 706V and KEF Q300 would be comparable to the B&W 685, if you can listen to either of those, see what you like the sound of. Ultimately the best speaker choice is the one that sounds the best to you, just because someone prefers something, doesn't mean you should as well.

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...rantz-def-tech-and-b-w-products#post_24522858

I think the Focal Chorus 706V and KEF Q300 would be comparable to the B&W 685, if you can listen to either of those, see what you like the sound of. Ultimately the best speaker choice is the one that sounds the best to you, just because someone prefers something, doesn't mean you should as well.

Well yeah but now that you guys have recommended different brands I may have to do some research and go try and listen to these. The only problem is that I won't be able to spend as much if I went to a different place

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylef5993  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...rantz-def-tech-and-b-w-products#post_24522869

Well yeah but now that you guys have recommended different brands I may have to do some research and go try and listen to these. The only problem is that I won't be able to spend as much if I went to a different place

These are the models that I would consider comparable to the B&W 685s. You mention your store caries these brands, so check on these specific models. They may carry a lower line of these brands, in which case I would then lean towards the 685s still.

I think B&W is a good option, and with an employee discount they probably offer great value.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylef5993  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...rantz-def-tech-and-b-w-products#post_24522869

Well, then there are some good deals around

Like Monitor Audio RX-1 silver - black is sold out
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/monitor_special.htm

MB Quart Alexxa
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-b1pb-pair?pp=24

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/28/286262.html

And some prefer the JBL Studio 530 over B&W
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-530-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B00622STI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395677919&sr=8-2&keywords=JBL+STUDIO+530

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-530-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/product-reviews/B00622STI0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...def-tech-and-b-w-products/0_100#post_24523059

A pair of Def Tech SM 45/55/65 and a SVS SB1000 would be a great musical set up… something else to look into.
I love my Def Tech StudioMonitor 65's for music. The bass that they reproduce on the new Glitch Mob track "Mind of a Beast" is nothing short of incredible. Great imaging, somewhat forgiving of placement, and to my ears, pretty neutral as well. I listen to everything from blues, to old-school rap, metal, alternative, and EDM. They'll go from Sinatra to Deadmau5 in a heartbeat and sound great doing it. 

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriszilla  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...rantz-def-tech-and-b-w-products#post_24524938

I love my Def Tech StudioMonitor 65's for music. The bass that they reproduce on the new Glitch Mob track "Mind of a Beast" is nothing short of incredible. Great imaging, somewhat forgiving of placement, and to my ears, pretty neutral as well. I listen to everything from blues, to old-school rap, metal, alternative, and EDM. They'll go from Sinatra to Deadmau5 in a heartbeat and sound great doing it. 

I've been doing a ton of research and I think i'm gonna go with the sm65s. I just wanna go somewhere and hear them first since my BestBuy doesn't carry them.

I just had one concern about them; is the bass overpowering? I'd like something with good bass but also nice highs.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think you'll be surprised how much bass the sm65s put out but you don't have to worry about it being over powering if you use a sub and use your avr's crossover.

Also, the 5008 may be overkill for your set up. You can look at a decent 5.1 and save a few buck, like one of the denons. Look in the receiver forum for more info.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylef5993  /t/1524009/looking-to-set-up-my-fir...def-tech-and-b-w-products/0_100#post_24525283

I've been doing a ton of research and I think i'm gonna go with the sm65s. I just wanna go somewhere and hear them first since my BestBuy doesn't carry them.

I just had one concern about them; is the bass overpowering? I'd like something with good bass but also nice highs.
I don't find it overpowering at all. It really comes down to how you set your EQ and your levels, to be honest. Running them in Pure Direct for music though, with no processing added, really put a grin on my face with regards to just how naturally good they sound in my living room. 

As for your earlier question about the tweeter, I have more invested in my car tweeters alone (Morel Supremo Piccolo's) than I paid for my pair of SM65's, and the tweeter in the Def Techs, for being a metal dome, has a really nice neutral response. Not harsh, not too warm, just like I like it. It actually reminds me of the almost higher-end ScanSpeak Illuminator tweeters (D3004's), and that's high-praise. 
 I still would have loved to see what Def Tech could have made these sound like with a nice ring-radiator tweeter though. However, I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I recently listened to the sm55s and I wasn't very impressed by the bass. Is the bass on the sm65 really that much stronger?

I was at BestBuy earlier listening and I really liked matching the sm55's with the supercube 2000.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts