AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an RCA UTV reciever. I love it so far but it looks like I'm going to run out of space in a hurry so I'm looking at upgrading the harddrive. I've got two questions...

-I've seen discussion on the Seagate and WD harddrive upgrades but I didn't find anyone talking about Maxtor. Can either the D536DX 100GB or the D540X 120GB be used for the upgrade? I've got a WD 100GB and it's very noisy... I've heard the 5400rpm Maxtors are much quieter.

-I know the Tivo units can be upgraded with two harddrives just like a typical PC... is this possible with a UTV unit?

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
675 Posts
Al...there are indeed some very specific HDs that will and won't work with UTV. For instance your WD 100 may or may not work depending on the LBA. A search here should bring up that info quickly.

But as to the number of drives, you may have only ONE in a UTV.

·
Registered
259 Posts
No Maxtor drives will work in the UTV. There was a problem that Maxtor doesn't fully comply with the IDE spec, and thus the advanced security functions which the UTV uses aren't implimented.

Almost all WD drives will work, but they must be of the AB and BB designation. The 'Special Edition' 8MB 'JB' drives don't seem to function. This strikes me as odd since advanced caching should have no effect on compatibility unless WDC was doing something odd with their BIOS.

If noise is a factor, the quietest drives available are the Seagate U6 series of 5400RPM drives. The only disadvantage is that they are limited to 80GB of storage.

If storage is the primary concern I would consider the WDC 1200AB (120GB 5400RPM). 7200 RPM drives are overkill and generate more noise and heat.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info (fyi... I did try doing a search for Maxtor and two hard drives but didn't get any hits on either search). This isn't what I wanted to hear but it is what I expected.

I forgot that WD made a 5400rpm 120gb... any idea on the noise level of those? I've got a 60gb seagate u6 series in a pc I have in the living room... nearly silent, but as you mentioned it maxes out at 80GB... it's too bad... great drive for applications in need of silent drives.

Alan

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, I haven't used the 120GB 5400RPM WDC... However from what I understand the 7200RPM WDC drives are quieter than the stock models so the 5400RPM models should have an even better noise profile.

Also, the 120s are 3-platter units so they run slightly louder and warmer than the WD 80GB or Seagate 80GB drive (which are both 2-platters I believe).

·
Registered
88 Posts
A slight correction. Some WD "JB" drives DO work in the UTV. The determining factor is the LBA, not the extra cache. Check some other threads and you should find the LBA info mentioned and explained.

As for noise, I have one of the WD1200BB drives and can say that its probably quieter than the stock 40 gig. I don have my equipment behind vetilated glass cabinets so I'm not as susceptible to the noise issue.

foghorn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.