AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my current setup in my apartment for a better sound for movies & games (not much music). My current setup uses an Onkyo TX-SR805 AVR & a Harman Kardon HKTS5 speaker system. The room dimensions are (roughly) 14x14 with 9 ft ceilings for the viewing area (the room itself is around 21 x 14). I am not a fan of soundbars and like the sound that 5.1 systems give. I've got a limited budget (would prefer to keep it under $500 for just the speakers), so I'm not expecting the world. I would like to keep the Onkyo AVR and just replace the speakers. I've been going back and forth between the Energy Take Classic 5.1, the Energy RC-Micro 5.1, and the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 systems. I don't have any experience with matching pairs for these kind of systems but am open to any advice anyone would have for my setup.

Edit: I forgot to add one other piece that I changed a year or so ago. I swapped out the Center channel from the HKTS5 to an Athena WS-60B.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley79  /t/1523286/looking-to-upgrade-5-1-surround-setup-in-my-apartment#post_24502683

I'm looking to upgrade my current setup in my apartment for a better sound for movies & games (not much music). My current setup uses an Onkyo TX-SR805 AVR & a Harman Kardon HKTS5 speaker system. The room dimensions are (roughly) 14x14 with 9 ft ceilings for the viewing area (the room itself is around 21 x 14). I am not a fan of soundbars and like the sound that 5.1 systems give. I've got a limited budget (would prefer to keep it under $500 for just the speakers), so I'm not expecting the world. I would like to keep the Onkyo AVR and just replace the speakers. I've been going back and forth between the Energy Take Classic 5.1, the Energy RC-Micro 5.1, and the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 systems. I don't have any experience with matching pairs for these kind of systems but am open to any advice anyone would have for my setup.

In my opinion those systems are not an upgrade over the HK speakers you have. You are just replacing one satellite speaker system with another, and will just be wasting $500 in my opinion.

If I were you, I would start with a 2.1 system, you can get an actual sub and bookshelf speakers, and use some of your HK speakers as surrounds. This lets you build a better system from the ground up, and you will end up much happier.

I would recommend you look at the NXG BAS 500 sub, it is a good contender in the sub-$300 range, and would be a huge improvement over your current sub. Add to that a pair of bookshelf speakers, I would suggest the HTD Level Two bookshelves, and you have a great start to a nice system. Later on, add a matching center and maybe surrounds.

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1523286/looking-to-upgrade-5-1-surround-setup-in-my-apartment#post_24502729

In my opinion those systems are not an upgrade over the HK speakers you have. You are just replacing one satellite speaker system with another, and will just be wasting $500 in my opinion.

If I were you, I would start with a 2.1 system, you can get an actual sub and bookshelf speakers, and use some of your HK speakers as surrounds. This lets you build a better system from the ground up, and you will end up much happier.

I would recommend you look at the NXG BAS 500 sub, it is a good contender in the sub-$300 range, and would be a huge improvement over your current sub. Add to that a pair of bookshelf speakers, I would suggest the HTD Level Two bookshelves, and you have a great start to a nice system. Later on, add a matching center and maybe surrounds.

I like the idea of keeping my rears and adding better fronts & sub. Is there anything I need to worry about (with matching), especially if I kept my WS-60 as the center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6  /t/1523286/looking-to-upgrade-5-1-surround-setup-in-my-apartment#post_24502840

Those are good ideas.

He might also consider some Primus speakers when they or on sale or maybe some Cambridge speakers.

Is there any particular Primus or Cambridge speakers you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1523286/looking-to-upgrade-5-1-surround-setup-in-my-apartment#post_24502904

Look at getting 2 pair of the Teac speakers, and use one as a center channel.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/teaclsh265a/teac-ls-h265-2-way-5-1/4-in-reference-bookshelf-speakers-pair/1.html

Look at the NXG sub, or the Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 subwoofer

I'm adding these to my list of potential candidates. I noticed you have the Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 sub. I'm assuming you lean more towards that sub than the NXG.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley79  /t/1523286/looking-to-upgrade-5-1-surround-setup-in-my-apartment#post_24503634

I like the idea of keeping my rears and adding better fronts & sub. Is there anything I need to worry about (with matching), especially if I kept my WS-60 as the center?

You'd be best to get a matching center for newer front speakers.

Probably refering to the Primus p153 or p163 with a PC251 center

For Cambridge speakers there are the S30's book shelf speakers with S50 center channel.

I personally would suggest Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf speakers with Pioneer SP-C22 Center and the NXG subwoofer

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley79  /t/1523286/looking-to-upgrade-5-1-surround-setup-in-my-apartment#post_24503634

I'm adding these to my list of potential candidates. I noticed you have the Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 sub. I'm assuming you lean more towards that sub than the NXG.

You want to have a timbre matched front at least, this means either three identical speakers, or speakers all from the same speaker line. Horizontal center speakers are more of a compromise in sound quality for the sake of placement, but they still work well. I would likely start with a 4.1 system, and let your front speakers create a phantom center effect until you add a matching center.

The Infinity Primus P163 and PC351 would be a good front sound stage. If you can accomodate a P163 vertically in the middle, that is even better. The Cambridge Audio speakers are available at www.accessories4less.com and would be the S70 (Towers)/S30 (Bookshelves)/ S50 (Center).

I think both are capable subs, the Aviano 7 might be more accurate, but the NXG will likely have a higher output.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:

I prefer the Cambridge S30 over the Infinity, Pioneer and HTD - and I have owned them.

The Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 is really tight and articulate for its price - and it still puts out

bass at 25 hz - the extreme bass-head, head-bangers may be offended. >> However it is

still nice/good. The NXG will have a little more spl - so, preference would be the key decision.

I would only use the WS-60 as surrounds > they are OK for that

A Cambridge as a center is a better option.

If budget is real tight, then Pioneer or Teac speakers - the word on Teac is good

Your Call

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I've been gathering so far, the Cambridge S30 & the Infinity P163 are two different ways to go for my fronts (with more people seeming to lean towards the Cambridge line). Before I originally posted, I was looking into the Pioneers (I've seen others mention them before). I'm going to do a little more looking into the other ideas people have stated.

As far as the sub, I'm definitely leaning towards the Mordaunt sub. It seems to be a very strong candidate in many people's eyes. No matter what I decide to do with my existing equipment, the sub is definitely something that will be replaced. I'm still leaning towards maintaining a couple of my old satellites as my rears (and changing them out later). Right now, I want to focus on my front line and my sub. I appreciate all of the opinions. It makes my job so much easier to hear from people who are more experienced with this kind of thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts