AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to move so I figured now would be a good time to upgrade my Receiver as I am going to have to unplug and move everything. Truth be told I have never really been happy with the sound quality of my Denon E300 and I think I am ready for something better. My speakers are the full 5 channel set of the Pioneer Andrew Jones line. SP-FS52 Floor-standing speakers, SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers, and SP-C22 Center-Channel Speaker and a 12in KEF sub (not sure what model). I am considering going 7.1 and getting another set of the SP-BS22-LR's so I probably want to get a 7.1 receiver this time. I don't want to break the bank but I don't want something that sounds mediocre like the E300 either. It seems like with the E300 I can hear everything fine but it's not immersive if that makes any sense. The new place I am moving into also has a much larger room for the TV and it seems like I have to turn up the E300 way too far to get my desired volume level. Seems like it just doesn't have quite enough power for my size of speakers.

·
Premium Member
90,353 Posts
^^
The volume scale on Denon AVRs is logarithmic such that the average volume level is 50-70, so power is not likely an issue with the E300. It uses the lower version of Audyssey MultEQ. You may want to consider one of the "X" series models like the X2100W, 7CH with MultEQ XT. If you want more specific information or pricing on this product, please contact us as we have them in stock.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^
The volume scale on Denon AVRs is logarithmic such that the average volume level is 50-70, so power is not likely an issue with the E300. It uses the lower version of Audyssey MultEQ. You may want to consider one of the "X" series models like the X2100W, 7CH with MultEQ XT. If you want more specific information or pricing on this product, please contact us as we have them in stock.
That would make sense then. I usually have to turn it up to about 60 to get a decent amount of volume in my small room. How much better is the sound quality on the X series Denon's? I was thinking about jumping ship from Denon. My last two receivers have been Denon and I haven't been completely satisfied with either of them. How is the Onkyo TX-NR636 compared to them?

·
Premium Member
90,353 Posts
^^
Onkyo moved away from Audyssey in their 2014 models in order to be able to reduce the total processing requirements needed to add Atmos. Their new AccuEQ only does one mic position and doesn't EQ the FL/FR speakers or the sub, but does allow you to use a 5.1.2 Atmos setup if you prefer. Depending on your room environment, the Audyssey models are likely to provide better audio quality. The upgrade to XT on an "X" series Denon or Marantz AVR should provide some improvement over the E300 in speaker audio quality as the sub EQ is identical.

If you're interested in trying YPAO (Yamaha), we've got an open box A840 available (8 mic positions) or the A740 (1 mic position). Call for pricing info if interested. The Aventage "A" series are a higher series than the RXV series, with better components and come with a 3 year warranty as do the Denon "X" series.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
That would make sense then. I usually have to turn it up to about 60 to get a decent amount of volume in my small room. How much better is the sound quality on the X series Denon's? I was thinking about jumping ship from Denon. My last two receivers have been Denon and I haven't been completely satisfied with either of them. How is the Onkyo TX-NR636 compared to them?
It'll be difficult to get a balanced view on Onkyo at this point due to the quality issues of the past couple of years...especially now that Onkyo has dropped Audyssey. I've owned both Denon and Onkyo in the past and my current preference is for Onkyo's sound quality and volume control (not a fan of the logrithmic control). Audyssey is the other polarizing issue...many can't live w/o it and others feel they don't need it as there are alternatives. My suggestion is to talk to dealers (including JD) about their return policies and try both brands for yourself in your environment with your ears.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not too afraid of Onkyo as there is an authorized repair center right by my house. My wife actually worked there for a few months so I know the owner pretty well. I am not set on the 636, it just seems like the most for your money and it has the Dolby Atmos which I kind of want to play around with.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^
Onkyo moved away from Audyssey in their 2014 models in order to be able to reduce the total processing requirements needed to add Atmos. Their new AccuEQ only does one mic position and doesn't EQ the FL/FR speakers or the sub, but does allow you to use a 5.1.2 Atmos setup if you prefer. Depending on your room environment, the Audyssey models are likely to provide better audio quality. The upgrade to XT on an "X" series Denon or Marantz AVR should provide some improvement over the E300 in speaker audio quality as the sub EQ is identical.

If you're interested in trying YPAO (Yamaha), we've got an open box A840 available (8 mic positions) or the A740 (1 mic position). Call for pricing info if interested. The Aventage "A" series are a higher series than the RXV series, with better components and come with a 3 year warranty as do the Denon "X" series.
Interesting. I kind of want to play with Atmos but I definitely don't think I want to loose Audyssey. I guess I have some decisions to make!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I am not too afraid of Onkyo as there is an authorized repair center right by my house. My wife actually worked there for a few months so I know the owner pretty well. I am not set on the 636, it just seems like the most for your money and it has the Dolby Atmos which I kind of want to play around with.
Onkyo has always been on the leading edge relative to features and bang for the buck. Currently the 636 is the least expensive way to "play with Atmos." I currently have the use of a 636 and will be "playing with Atmos" over the next week or so.

BTW: you may want to visit the Onkyo 636 thread and get the thoughts of those owners.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I've owned both Denon and Onkyo in the past and my current preference is for Onkyo's sound quality and volume control (not a fan of the logrithmic control).

Having just gone from an Onkyo to a Denon (from Audyssey XT to XT32) I find the better Audyssey made a difference, otherwise very similar, but what Onkyo do you have that doesn't use a logarithmic volume scale? Mine did, same scale choices of relative or absolute as my Denon.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts

Having just gone from an Onkyo to a Denon (from Audyssey XT to XT32) I find the better Audyssey made a difference, otherwise very similar, but what Onkyo do you have that doesn't use a logarithmic volume scale? Mine did, same scale choices of relative or absolute as my Denon.
Appreciate the clarification relative to volume scale nomenclature. Relative to Audyssey, I'm in agreement that XT32 is a significant improvement over the previous iterations. Unfortunately, the OP may have to increase his budget to get XT32.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts