AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am wanting to upgrade from my current onkyo 705 I like it but i want a little more power, I bought a emotiva lpa 1 and its nice but the onkyos only sends out a signal on the 12v trigger to the second zone, meaning no 7.1 and its a pain to turn the amp on and off everytime, and it seems silly to have both of those running only to be using the amps off of one of them

So im going to sell my lpa 1 and my 705 but I dont know what to get, I am thinking of a refurb onkyo 875 for $699 or a onkyo 905 for $899 both of those have 140w x7 compared to 100wx7 and they have THX ULTRA 2 certification, not that im real concerned about the THX but it cant be a bad thing

I can tell you I want at least 3 hdmi 1.3 inputs for my HD audio and other things,I also want the Audyssey multi eq xt, and atleast 130w x7 and i want to keep it under a grand, which probably leaves me with the onkyos, but thats why im posting this incase im missing something

Actually the Denon AVR2809CI looks pretty good for $899 with free shipping granted it has 15w less than im looking for but everything else is on par, is this a better receiver/

Thanks

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskateocer /forum/post/15539335

Hello all,

I am wanting to upgrade from my current onkyo 705 I like it but i want a little more power, I bought a emotiva lpa 1 and its nice but the onkyos only sends out a signal on the 12v trigger to the second zone, meaning no 7.1 and its a pain to turn the amp on and off everytime, and it seems silly to have both of those running only to be using the amps off of one of them

So im going to sell my lpa 1 and my 705 but I dont know what to get, I am thinking of a refurb onkyo 875 for $699 or a onkyo 905 for $899 both of those have 140w x7 compared to 100wx7 and they have THX ULTRA 2 certification, not that im real concerned about the THX but it cant be a bad thing

I can tell you I want at least 3 hdmi 1.3 inputs for my HD audio and other things,I also want the Audyssey multi eq xt, and atleast 130w x7 and i want to keep it under a grand, which probably leaves me with the onkyos, but thats why im posting this incase im missing something

Actually the Denon AVR2809CI looks pretty good for $899 with free shipping granted it has 15w less than im looking for but everything else is on par, is this a better receiver/

Thanks

Hey man, i myself am going to buy the Onkyo SR706 fro $530 brand new shipped.

Dont buy any of these refurbished onkyos man, they are a forumla for disaster lol, its full of troubles.. unless u like that stuff go for it but honestly, dont buy refurbrished onkyos, people post way too many horror stories on these.

my 2 choices were the Denon 2809ci and the Onkyo SR706 but i am choosing the onkyo sr706, i have no reason to pay the extra for the 2809, it doesnt provide me with anything, and also they want me to pay $100 EXTRA to enable DYNAMIC EQ , which i think is a joke.. and its also NOT thx certified, which is no big deal but still... its not

Im sure its a good reciever but it does not however offer anything better than the SR706, it just has 15 watts more power, it includes the boring black background and text menus lol, no graphical menus.. they gave that to the more expensive 3809 reciever.. I also spoke to Triple X who is a member here on AVS, he upgraded from the 705 to the denon 2809 and he told me that it was completely unexpcted, he thought the denon would have a more crisp and BRIGHT sound but its the oppopsite, his sr705 onkyo had the brighter and crispier sound, the denon has the Warm sound..

I myself prefer the bright and crisp and clean sound, the denon is a great reciever too but i dont see a reason to pay extra for the same featured reciever..

Maybe u will like the onkyo sr876 , thats a beast man..

·
Registered
988 Posts
cheapskateocer

I have a 705 and an XPA-3. I bought a 12v adapter from Radio shack along with a 3.5mm tip. That plugs into my power strip so as soon as the power strip comes on, so does the Emo. I also run a power strip with a remote switch (Belkin). Works real slick and the $20 for the adapter sure is cheaper that a new receiver. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts