AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First time post, long-time lurker:) I currently have the Klipsch Quintet setup at home with a Klipsch Synergy 12" and 10" sub being powered by a Denon AVR-1613 I've had for a few years (75W/channel @ THD 0.7%). My television is a 70" Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D LED. The dimensions for my room are approximately 11'W x 24'D x 8'H (finished basement).

I'm torn as to what speakers to go with (keeping the existing subwoofers). My budget is approximately $2,000.

I'm leaning towards the Klipsch R-28F, R-25C, and R-14S - approximately $1,500 total.

My other option is the RF-82 II, RC-62 II, and RS-52 II - approximately $2,600 (over budget).

Here come the questions :cool:

1. I plan on ordering these speakers online as I am very far from a Magnolia Best Buy store so I can't really demo them. Is there a very noticeable difference between the RF-82 II and the R-28F packages (an $1,100 worth of difference)? I'm assuming there is but for the dimensions of my room and the power of my receiver will I notice much difference?
  2. Will my Denon AVR-1613 receiver supply enough power to give these speakers enough juice to make them perform at their best? The sensitivity of Klipsch speakers have traditionally been very high.

I typically play music and video games on my TV with the occasional loud movie.

I appreciate any advice or "I have these speakers with a similar setup and they sounded great" or "I don't think it's worth spending $2,600 while using a $400 A/V receiver".

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I use Klipschorns on a $400 receiver (HK AVR-254 I got as refurb for $250 several years back), so I will not tell you that your receiver is the weak point. The weak point is almost always the speakers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking to stick with Klipsch. For the size of my room and power of my AV receiver is there a thousand dollar difference between the two lines of speakers? Thx

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would upgrade the sub and get bookshelf speakers for the fronts. I would be looking at some klipsch RB bookshelf speakers. Use the price difference between those and the towers to get a better subwoofer (not a Klipsch subwoofer). The overall sound would be better. Or, you know, you could just save up enough to get off the upgrade treadmill and go straight for the gold, Klipschorns or La Scalas which blow the Reference line away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the responses. Does anyone that owns these speakers have any comments for how they like or dislike them?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I appreciate the responses. Does anyone that owns these speakers have any comments for how they like or dislike them?
Over the past two months I have been upgrading my Synergy system to all Reference II and I have to say it was money well spent. I originally had the following setup on a Denon 2313ci:
Fronts- Klipsch Synergy F-30s
Center - Klipsch Synergy C-20
Side Surrounds - Klipsch Synergy S-20s
Rear Surrounds - Klipsch Synergy S-10s
Sub- Klipsch Sub12-HG

I was happy with my setup but caught upgraditis when I moved from F-20s to F-30s and decided my center was getting washed out. My first upgrade was to the RC-62II which I purchased due to a great open box deal I got from OneCall. I leave my grills off so the mixture of Silver woofers and the beautiful copper on the RC started to bug me. I made a bold call to a Klipsch dealer and ordered 2- RF-82IIs, 2- RS-52IIs, and 2 RB-62IIs. My original plan was to mix these together with the Synergy for a complete 13.1 setup as I had just ordered a Denon X5200W. Earlier in the year I took advantage of several sales by Emotiva and picked up 3 amps ( 2- 2 channels and 1- Single) to hook up to my Fronts, Center, and Front wides. Finally I found 3 incredible deals on another set of RS-52IIs, a Set of RS-42IIs, and a set of RS-62IIS. Then my X5200W came in and I started the setup process to the following:

Fronts: RF-82IIs
Center: RC-62II
Front Wides: RB-62IIs
Side Surrounds: RS-62IIs
Rear Surrounds: RS-42IIs
Top Fronts (Atmos): RS-52IIs
Top Rears (Atmos): RS-52IIs
Emotiva XPA-200, Emotiva UPA-200, Emotiva XPA-100

But of course after setup the inevitable happened...my Sub was out classed by my setup so in came the SVS PB12-Plus. And finally I am done! It took several months but I also stretched my budget out over that time and hunted for the best possible deals. The smile on my face every time I put in a Bluray or watch football is huge. Now this setup is over your budget and I offer my story as kind of a tale of caution. Once you start mixing and matching... the upgrade bug kicks in. As to your original question, I have only listened to the new Reference line that replaced the Synergy and Icon lines in Best Buy but they sounded pretty good. According to some other people in the Klipsch thread that have tested the R-28Fs alongside a pair of RF-82IIs and they are just not as good. Take that for what it is but my 2 cents is it is worth the added money to get the best you can afford. Also keep in mind this new Reference line is mostly sold in Brock and Mortar stores so if you buy from Best Buy you have tax to pay plus you will pay MSRP. By calling an authorized Klipsch dealer (which you can get from their website) you can usually get a significantly better priced than advertized. Case in point, I paid less for a pair of RF-82IIs and a pair of RS-52IIs shipped than I would have paid for a pair of R-28Fs and a R-25C from Best Buy simply by calling a dealer.

Reactions: LongDriver

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for! Greatly appreciate it the thoroughness of your post and all the details you provided. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Some people love Klipsch speakers and some people don't...but almost universally, their subs are considered mediocre or maybe more fair "good bang for the buck" subs. I agree upgrade your fronts and subs! I have the 10 inch synergy sub and I have the klipsch Rw12d and neither can hold a candle to my EMP 10i10i...which ain't the best sub out there!

Thanks for the reminder, I need a sub upgrade!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.