AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a new HTPC and we all know how exciting that can be. I just have a few requirements and perhaps those that recently shopped around will know where to find a good computer for me.

This is what I want.
Intel i3 - i7, Under $700, Desktop with at least 2 mini-PCIe slots and a couple standard PCI slots, lots of USB 3.0 ports, digital audio out built in, video card or good onboard video with hdmi out, slot for 3 internal hard drives, good internal cooling.

I don't care about HD, since I'm well equipped in that area.

I know it's asking for a lot, but perhaps someone knows of a good all-in-one solution.

Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm with Servicetech571, just add more storage, it's silly wasting money like that.

And it's hard to find a desktop motherboard with a single mini-PCIe slot, nevermind two. Maybe some hybrid motherboards that use mobile chipsets and mobile CPUs, but then you end up paying a lot more more for having less.

My HTPC is about 6 years old and does HD and everything else perfectly. The only upgrade in the last few years were 2TB drives and a GT430. That's about as cheap as it goes.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart /forum/post/20855046

I can respect your positions on staying with something that works for you guys, but this system just isn't cutting it anymore. I have no other choice but to upgrade.

Well core i5 is overkill for a HTPC and core i7 is ridiculously overkill for a HTPC, so I would say just get the core i5. A core i5 chip with 2x2gigs ram and geforce 430 will come in way under $700.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart /forum/post/20852292

Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a new HTPC and we all know how exciting that can be. I just have a few requirements and perhaps those that recently shopped around will know where to find a good computer for me.

This is what I want.
Intel i3 - i7, Under $700, Desktop with at least 2 mini-PCIe slots and a couple standard PCI slots, lots of USB 3.0 ports, digital audio out built in, video card or good onboard video with hdmi out, slot for 3 internal hard drives, good internal cooling.

I don't care about HD, since I'm well equipped in that area.

I know it's asking for a lot, but perhaps someone knows of a good all-in-one solution.

Thank you for your replies.

Are you looking for something off the shelf? We make completely custom HTPCs and could make one for you. If you are interested shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I browsed around Best Buy today and found that the Asus desktops provided a good off the shelf option. They were one of the few computers with built in Spdif audio out and all had an awesome 2 gb video card as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.