AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 3 years or so, give or take a few months, I have been using an InFocus SP4800. It's been a great projector with a pretty decent picture, and still running on the original bulb, almost 3000 hours on it! It has never given me a single problem, but it's time for an upgrade.

As far as projectors are concerned, I have been out of the loop for a while. I haven't had a need to look at them for several years, so I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest there is out there.

My room is 13x17x8, which means that the surface of the screen is right at 16' in front of the lens. The screen is 109" with a gain of 2 IIRC, but not 100% sure on the gain. The seating is right about 13' away from the screen.

Anyway, I'm wanting to upgrade to something that is:

1) a native 16.9 aspect ratio,

2) great contrast and lumen,

3) greater resolution than my current 600x800,

4) has an HDMI input as well as component,

5) is easy on bulbs and lasts around 3000 hours at least,

6) and is right at or below $1200. The lower the better.

Are DLP's still the better way to go to keep away from the "screen door" effect or are LCD's just as good now? Any "one" over the other? Are there any 1080 projectors out there that good for the price range I'm looking at?

I don't know if it has any bearing on the subject, but I plan on upgrading my current Panisonic DVD-S52 DVD player to the Oppo DV-981HD at the same time for obvious reasons.

Any help, info and guidance you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

-Charles

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic /forum/post/12963877

For the past 3 years or so, give or take a few months, I have been using an InFocus SP4800. It's been a great projector with a pretty decent picture, and still running on the original bulb, almost 3000 hours on it! It has never given me a single problem, but it's time for an upgrade.

As far as projectors are concerned, I have been out of the loop for a while. I haven't had a need to look at them for several years, so I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest there is out there.

My room is 13x17x8, which means that the surface of the screen is right at 16' in front of the lens. The screen is 109" with a gain of 2 IIRC, but not 100% sure on the gain. The seating is right about 13' away from the screen.

Anyway, I'm wanting to upgrade to something that is:

1) a native 16.9 aspect ratio,

2) great contrast and lumen,

3) greater resolution than my current 600x800,

4) has an HDMI input as well as component,

5) is easy on bulbs and lasts around 3000 hours at least,

6) and is right at or below $1200. The lower the better.

Are DLP's still the better way to go to keep away from the "screen door" effect or are LCD's just as good now? Any "one" over the other? Are there any 1080 projectors out there that good for the price range I'm looking at?

I don't know if it has any bearing on the subject, but I plan on upgrading my current Panisonic DVD-S52 DVD player to the Oppo DV-981HD at the same time for obvious reasons.

Any help, info and guidance you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

-Charles

You can never go far wrong checking out projector reviews.com and projector central. If you do go 1080, make sure to add HDM player(s).

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
And I wouldn't waste my money on an upconverting player when the Toshiba HD-A3 is so cheap now. I have the HD-A2 and the upconverting is excellent.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA /forum/post/12964039

You can never go far wrong checking out projector reviews.com and projector central. If you do go 1080, make sure to add HDM player(s).

Oh yeah, I forgot about those sites. Like I said, it's been a while since I've looked this stuff up. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/12964462

And I wouldn't waste my money on an upconverting player when the Toshiba HD-A3 is so cheap now. I have the HD-A2 and the upconverting is excellent.

That Toshiba HD-A3 is unbelievable! If that's a true HD player, how are they so cheap already? Trust me, I'm not complaining one bit. I'll definately drop the Oppo plan and go with this one. Heck, it's even cheaper than the Oppo!

Again, thanks!

And please, keep the suggestions coming so I can search for as much info as possible before making a decision.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
They are cheap because they just lost Warner to Blue-Ray exclusive and people think Blue Ray has won. At that price though it's a great upconverting DVD player even if Blue Ray does win the format war.

Here are my suggestions for projectors. You need to make sur they fit your room with the calculator at projector central.com

http://thetechhunter.blogspot.com/20...rojectors.html

My choice would be the infocus 7210.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I guess no one on here cares to comment on the main question of this thread, which was also my main concern?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic /forum/post/12998048

So I guess no one on here cares to comment on the main question of this thread, which was also my main concern?

DLP doesn't bother you so stick with DLP.

The cheapest 1080p PJ even after rebate is several hundred more than your budget.

Optoma HD70

Mitsubishi HC1500

Sharp DT-500

Optoma HD71

Infocus 7210, but may have noise or lamp issues.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gwlaw99, you're right... You did make a suggestion of projectors. Sorry.

However, I have to say I will most definately will NOT be buying the Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player. I now know why it's being sold so cheap. It's not because Blu-Ray won Warner Bros or anything, it's because that player is complete junk!

My brother just bought one and the thing couldn't even finish playing the HD DVD of "The Bourne Ultimatum" (which BTW is another excellent flick). The HD-A3 was able to get about 3/4 of the way through the movie, then it just locked up the picture, yet the counter kept counting. We tried stoping it then starting it again. That didn't do any good. We then shut the stupid thing off, waited nearly a minute for the dumb thing to finally come back up, jumped back to Chapter 16 just to have it crash once again. We went through this crap 4 times in a row and it did the same exact thing every time at different locations on the disc before saying the heck with it and flipping the DVD over to the normal DVD side, which worked perfectly fine throughout the rest of the movie.

So guess what, back to the Oppo DV-981HD I go. It's a much better unit and is sure to work right out of the box. Besides, it also has the excellent Faroudja processing and is followed up by the excellent rave reviews as the older Oppo's.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Trouble with the a3 is usually just a bad unit or buy the a30 hd dvd player a better unit and also check out the new Optoma hd65 has a really nice feature that nearly fills the screen. Very bright and only 999.00 I have the Toshiba hda2 hooked up to the optoma hd70. Great looking combo.

But if I were buying new I would get the hd65.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947156

·
Registered
571 Posts

Quote:
reconlabtech;Optoma HD70

Mitsubishi HC1500

Sharp DT-500

Optoma HD71

Infocus 7210, but may have noise or lamp issues.

lamp issues ???

Infocus SP-7210 has lamp issues more then any other Projector??

If so that would be total news to me.

And you would think this issue would be talked about more as the unit is a new stock from 2005.

One of the so called down falls of the SP-7210 was the Fans db level as it keep the bulb very cool to extend lamp life.

my choice

Infocus 7210 ( of course
,,,best bang for buck pj )

Sharp DT-500

Optoma HD71

Mitsubishi HC1500 ( If you realy cant scrape another $200) but dont expect the same PQ as the infocus ,sharpe ,Optoma.

cheers

Murph

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same exact situation I am in and will for sure check out the recommended projectors.. I have been using an Epson Home 10
and with the recent upgrade to blu ray (pretty much only for the sound features).. I thought it's time to upgrade to at least a 720p projector.. I have a home made blackout cloth screen (92") and to be honest for the price I really can't complain.. but if I do upgrade the projector does anyone have an opinion on any Epson projectors with this rez.. and if so, does anyone use BO Cloth or if updating to another DIY screen like Goo Grey Paint would be the better option..

as always any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic /forum/post/13006066

gwlaw99, you're right... You did make a suggestion of projectors. Sorry.

However, I have to say I will most definately will NOT be buying the Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player. I now know why it's being sold so cheap. It's not because Blu-Ray won Warner Bros or anything, it's because that player is complete junk!

My brother just bought one and the thing couldn't even finish playing the HD DVD of "The Bourne Ultimatum" (which BTW is another excellent flick). The HD-A3 was able to get about 3/4 of the way through the movie, then it just locked up the picture, yet the counter kept counting. We tried stoping it then starting it again. That didn't do any good. We then shut the stupid thing off, waited nearly a minute for the dumb thing to finally come back up, jumped back to Chapter 16 just to have it crash once again. We went through this crap 4 times in a row and it did the same exact thing every time at different locations on the disc before saying the heck with it and flipping the DVD over to the normal DVD side, which worked perfectly fine throughout the rest of the movie.

So guess what, back to the Oppo DV-981HD I go. It's a much better unit and is sure to work right out of the box. Besides, it also has the excellent Faroudja processing and is followed up by the excellent rave reviews as the older Oppo's.

I imagine you checked to make sure it was using the most recent firmware before giving it the boot right? That's the trouble with Blu Ray...no way to upgrade the firmware so when the player can't play new discs, it's a brick. The A3 that you so easily gave up on comes out with firmware updates whenever movie studios add something new to their discs. That way, you can be confident that your player will be up to speed with the new format which is still evolving. It probably would have taken you and your brother 20 minutes or a phone call to Toshiba Customer support to solve this problem.

Enjoy Bourne in upconverted SD...I've seen it on the Oppo and it doesn't come close to the HD from the A3.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada /forum/post/13009554

I imagine you checked to make sure it was using the most recent firmware before giving it the boot right? That's the trouble with Blu Ray...no way to upgrade the firmware so when the player can't play new discs, it's a brick. The A3 that you so easily gave up on comes out with firmware updates whenever movie studios add something new to their discs. That way, you can be confident that your player will be up to speed with the new format which is still evolving. It probably would have taken you and your brother 20 minutes or a phone call to Toshiba Customer support to solve this problem.

Enjoy Bourne in upconverted SD...I've seen it on the Oppo and it doesn't come close to the HD from the A3.

Yes, we did the firmware long before watching the movie. It was the first thing we did once it was hooked up. And I have news for you, on his 47" LCD, the upconverted SD looked just about as good as the HD.

BTW, if my SP4800 looks as good as it does at 480 without any upconversion, then a 720 or 1080 projector with upconversion is going to look better. So in that respect, I'm not concerned. I'll be darned if I'm going to screw around with a faulty unit everytime I want to watch a movie.

Quote:
I've seen it on the Oppo and it doesn't come close to the HD from the A3.

Well then apparently you're the only one that thinks so. According to everyone else, the Oppo does an extremely good job, looking very close to HD quality. Heck, even my system looks close to HD with some movies.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic /forum/post/13010504

Yes, we did the firmware long before watching the movie. It was the first thing we did once it was hooked up. And I have news for you, on his 47" LCD, the upconverted SD looked just about as good as the HD.

BTW, if my SP4800 looks as good as it does at 480 without any upconversion, then a 720 or 1080 projector with upconversion is going to look better. So in that respect, I'm not concerned. I'll be darned if I'm going to screw around with a faulty unit everytime I want to watch a movie.

Well then apparently you're the only one that thinks so. According to everyone else, the Oppo does an extremely good job, looking very close to HD quality. Heck, even my system looks close to HD with some movies.

I didn't mean to strike a nerve...I apologize. However, a 480p signal upconverted to 720p cannot look as good as a native 720p signal on a 720p display, period. I'm sorry your brother had an issue with the A3...it's an anomaly from what I can gather. The vast majority of users with updated firmware don't experience any significant issues like the one that you described. Perhaps your brother got a faulty unit (all companies make a few bad apples).

For the price a projector owner has an option now -- a real HD DVD player that does a good job upconverting or, an SD upconverting DVD player for the same, or even less $'s. For most people, it really should be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada /forum/post/13010942

I didn't mean to strike a nerve...I apologize. However, a 480p signal upconverted to 720p cannot look as good as a native 720p signal on a 720p display, period. I'm sorry your brother had an issue with the A3...it's an anomaly from what I can gather. The vast majority of users with updated firmware don't experience any significant issues like the one that you described. Perhaps your brother got a faulty unit (all companies make a few bad apples).

For the price a projector owner has an option now -- a real HD DVD player that does a good job upconverting or, an SD upconverting DVD player for the same, or even less $'s. For most people, it really should be a no-brainer.

No need to apologize. You didn't strike any nerves, I'm just stating what I see with my own two eyes and what I read in reviews, mags and forums.

Personally, I think it's absolutely stupid that people have to come out with two very similar yet competing formats all the time. DAT and DCC, SACD and DVD-A, now HD and Blu-Ray. They rush the crap as fast as they can to see who can hit the market first before working all the bugs out of it, then there's a bunch of useless crap on the market that isn't really even ready for the public. Just collaborate forces, come up with ONE format, perfect it, then put it on the market for all to enjoy. As it is, there are some movies you can only get on HD and others you can only get on Blu-Ray. It's stupid!

Look at LPs. They've been around for years now and virtually unchanged for the entire time. CDs have been basically the same as well. Sure, they have HDCD, 20-Bit and Surroundsound, but they all still work on any and all CD players.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic /forum/post/13011167

No need to apologize. You didn't strike any nerves, I'm just stating what I see with my own two eyes and what I read in reviews, mags and forums.

Personally, I think it's absolutely stupid that people have to come out with two very similar yet competing formats all the time. DAT and DCC, SACD and DVD-A, now HD and Blu-Ray. They rush the crap as fast as they can to see who can hit the market first before working all the bugs out of it, then there's a bunch of useless crap on the market that isn't really even ready for the public. Just collaborate forces, come up with ONE format, perfect it, then put it on the market for all to enjoy. As it is, there are some movies you can only get on HD and others you can only get on Blu-Ray. It's stupid!

Look at LPs. They've been around for years now and virtually unchanged for the entire time. CDs have been basically the same as well. Sure, they have HDCD, 20-Bit and Surroundsound, but they all still work on any and all CD players.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day.

No need to tell me about the stupidity of the whole format war...I hear you and agree 100%! Unfortunately, the stand-alone Blu-Ray players on the market today are exorbitantly priced and lack any firmware upgrade paths. That leaves HD-DVD which will clearly loose this format war in the end. I always tell people to buy an HD DVD player because it's cheaper than a good upconverting DVD player like the Oppo. It also has the advantage of playing some HD DVD's for now (until Toshiba gives up).

At any rate, it's a silly time in the world of HD. I only hope the Toshiba puts enough pressure on the Blu Ray group to get them to get their act together and drop prices and ensure that their stand-alone players all have the ability to upgrade their firmware.

·
Registered
328 Posts
"Well then apparently you're the only one that thinks so. According to everyone else, the Oppo does an extremely good job, looking very close to HD quality. Heck, even my system looks close to HD with some movies."

Ummm he is not the ONLY that thinks so .I have a XA2 and an Oppo and while the Oppo is very good indeed it is not in the same league as the Toshiba.I dont know what reviews you have been reading,but the XA2 is regarded as the best machine out there.Even though you were referring to the A3.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to let you all know, last night I went ahead and ordered the Epson HC720 from VisualApex. It comes with good extras, most importantly the mount and extra bulb. I also ordered a 25ft HDMI cables while I was at it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts