AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to take my existing HTPC and make it a Windows Home server (centralize my music and videos). Here are the specs of my HTPC

Athlon64 3700+

512 Ram

80 gig HD

Nvidia 7300 gs

The above computer is old AGP stuff. I am going to build a new HTPC. What I am looking for is a suggestion for a good video card. I do not game on the HTPC. I have been looking at the ATI HD cards. The one thing I want to make sure is that I am getting a better video card. The importance is definitely smooth playback of BD and High definition 1080I and 1080p. Right now I do not get high definition but would like to buy a card that will last into the future.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive in my HTPC and using a 2600XT (radeon) I get smooth playback for all of the movies I have tried to date. The 2600XT I am using is passivly cooled. I have 2GB of memory in the pc and a Q6600 CPU.

I am using the bundled powerDVD application that came with the drive (updated when installed) and AnyDVD to play the movies on a older 1080i Mits 55" rear projection CRT over a component connection (that's why AnyDVD is needed).

I do not think you can future proof the video card. We will always need to tweak something and graphics cards seem to "improve" faster than anything else.

Good Luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do you feel that the 2600xt would be an upgrade over the nvidia 7300gs (as far as video decoding capabilities???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts