AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a mismatch set that I'm looking to replace. I think I've narrowed to these but open to other ideas. I am currently running a Pioneer VSX-820-K until there's more 4K content which will force me to upgrade TV and Receiver.

1) Polk Monitor 70 series II w/ CS2 center channel, Monitor 40 rears - on sale at Newegg ($590 no tax)
2) Infinity Primus P363BK - biggest concern is running them at 4ohm
3) Pioneer "Andrew Jones" SP-FS52, SP-C22, and SP-BS22-LR - on sale at Best Buy/Amazon ($340 + $30 tax)

·
Registered
472 Posts
If my budget were $600 for speakers I wouldn't get any of those. If you must have 5.0 right away then I'd probably get this: http://smile.amazon.com/Boston-Acou...&qid=1425993599&sr=8-96&keywords=5.0+speakers

Then again, if you are patient you can take the opportunity to move up and do an incremental upgrade. That gives you many more options. You could get a pair of Martin Logan Motion LX16 speakers, use your existing surrounds and a phantom center until your budget replenishes. You could get a pair of Chane A1rx-c for mains and an A2rx-c center and use your existing speakers for surround, this would be a massive upgrade over any of the speakers you listed and the Bostons I listed.

If you are dead set on those three that you listed I'd opt for the Infinitys. The 4 ohms shouldn't be an issue unless you listen at extreme high volumes for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
Living Room: Sony 65” 950G, Marantz SR5014, Martin Logan Motion LX16 x5, Motion 2 x2, SVS PC2000
310 Posts
Motion lx16's are fantastic speakers! I second that reccomendation. I use all five in a 5.0 setup. You could do 3 lx16's and then get some motion 2 or 4's for the surrounds to save some $. You will spend a little more money, but overall be a lot happier with this setup in the long run.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here's my current setup. i think upgrading the fronts and center channel would be biggest bang for my buck to start.

5.1 setup on Pioneer VSX-820-K
Fronts - Sony SS-MF650H
Center - Sony SS-CN5000P
Rears - Onkyo SKF-200F
Sub - Onkyo SKW-200

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
here's my current setup. i think upgrading the fronts and center channel would be biggest bang for my buck to start.

Fronts - Sony SS-MF650H
Center - Sony SS-CN5000P
Rears - Onkyo SKF-200F
Sub - Onkyo SKW-200
What is your problem with your current set-up? Why don't you like the way it sounds?

If you have no problem with the way it current sounds I would suggest just a subwoofer upgrade as that is a weak point I see.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is your problem with your current set-up? Why don't you like the way it sounds?

If you have no problem with the way it current sounds I would suggest just a subwoofer upgrade as that is a weak point I see.
It's a hoge poge stuff i put together about 7 years ago in college except for the receiver. i figured now that i've got some money i could do some upgrading. so are you saying the options i mentioned are no better than what i have?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
It's a hoge poge stuff i put together about 7 years ago in college except for the receiver. i figured now that i've got some money i could do some upgrading. so are you saying the options i mentioned are no better than what i have?
Better really depends on your ears. If you like the way your set-up sounds I see no need on telling you to upgrade. Sure these other speakers might be considered "better" but why change something when you are happy with the sound. Why try to fix something that is not broken?

I have a pair of speakers my parents bought when I was 5 years old (Sony SS-TL6's) and I still use them as they sound amazing to me for music. My surround set-up I have is Polk RTi4's with a CSi3 center, which I am extremely happy with and see no need to upgrade because personally to me I can't find any faults with it. I know plenty of people could find a million faults with my set-ups but all I know is my ears are happy. Believe even if I won the lottery I would be keeping my current speakers as I love their sound personally. But everyone's ears are different and they may value sound more than I do so they might spend 20k on a new surround system when I'd rather keep my speakers and put 20k to another car.:D

As for the hodge podge set-up its ok to have non-matching surrounds the importance is matching your front 3 speakersm which you already do. The major weakness I see in your set-up is the subwoofer.

If I were you I would go to the store and listen to all the speakers you can, as it doesn't seem like you are unhappy with your set-up

·
Registered
19,823 Posts
Fronts - Sony SS-MF650H
Center - Sony SS-CN5000P
Rears - Onkyo SKF-200F
Sub - Onkyo SKW-200
I would easily take the Pioneer and Infinity over what you own now.

Check some stuff out - you should notice a difference.

You can get some bookshelves, center and a sub on your $600, that
can give you a more smooth and balance sound.

Also look at HTD
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

Your call

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
Living Room: Sony 65” 950G, Marantz SR5014, Martin Logan Motion LX16 x5, Motion 2 x2, SVS PC2000
310 Posts
Out of these options I prefer the infinity's, but that's just me. I've had the pioneer 52 set, my best friend has the infinity's p363 with p153 surrounds and I like them more.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You really should give them a listen. Everyone likes a different sound :)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still struggling here...

m70s and cs2 are on sale for $420 total at newegg right now. i know the infinity p363 will go on sale on amazon at some point for $100/ea and +$200 for pc351, so $400 total.

there's no in store options to listen to these around...what to do?

·
Registered
711 Posts
still struggling here...

m70s and cs2 are on sale for $420 total at newegg right now. i know the infinity p363 will go on sale on amazon at some point for $100/ea and +$200 for pc351, so $400 total.

there's no in store options to listen to these around...what to do?
Are you doing mostly music or movies? I wouldn't recommend Polk if you plan on doing any music listening at all. The Pioneer and the Infinity are good choices, I'm pretty sure you can listen to the Pioneers at your local Best Buy. Another option is Wharfedale, the Diamond 10 series is being replaced by the Diamond 200 series here in the US and are having a pretty good sale right now.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you doing mostly music or movies? I wouldn't recommend Polk if you plan on doing any music listening at all. The Pioneer and the Infinity are good choices, I'm pretty sure you can listen to the Pioneers at your local Best Buy. Another option is Wharfedale, the Diamond 10 series is being replaced by the Diamond 200 series here in the US and are having a pretty good sale right now.
why do you say that about polk and music? too bright? 80% or more for home theater is my usage, but like to listen to some tunes from time to time or music blurays.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
why do you say that about polk and music? too bright? 80% or more for home theater is my usage, but like to listen to some tunes from time to time or music blurays.
I would not get the monitor line wait until you can buy the rti line, check polk ebay for deals. the cheaper monitors are a little brighter. but the rti brings much more clarity.

·
Registered
711 Posts
In my opinion, Polk is just too bright. I had the RTi8s and CSi5 in my home theater and they ended up giving me headaches after watching a movie or listening to music. Had them for about 7 years til I realized that I just couldn't listen to them anymore. Of course this is my opinion and experience with them. Speakers are very subjective and what I may like you may not. Many here say to get out there and audition and find the type of sound that you like.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts