AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when we bought our house, exactly 13 months ago, the previous owner had it built with in wall speakers. They speakers were oriented for the fireplace as the focal point with the TV installed there. We spun the room to use the best wall for the TV to get the couches to fit and its just not right for the speakers. There are (4) R-1650-W klipsch and a matching center in the ceiling. We don't use the center but do use the 1650's for all of our movie and music needs. (Our basement is unfinished at the time and will get the real nice stuff in a year or so.)

So I'd like to replace the 4 in wall speakers with something that sounds better. Even though the placement are odd, and I know they will never sound as good as bookshelf monitors, they don't clutter up the room which is always an issue we have.

We dont really have any places around us to go looking and listening for speakers so I have been doing alot of research and value peoples opinions, but oddly enough I cant find much about in walls that cost less then $1000 each.

To me the klipsch sound hard and sharp, and when turned up make me wince to the harshness. I have a Polk center channel, cant remember which it is but I got it cheap a few years ago and would not mind replacing it.

Id like to set the budget at $200 a speaker for in wall, and $300 for a matching center. Of course staying under that would be awesome

The reciever Im using is a HTR-7065

The speakers I have been eying are the HSU HIW-1

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Not much in-wall speaker knowledge here, sorry. And the problem with "upgrading" in wall speakers is you need to find other in-wall speakers that fit the exact measurements as your current in-wall's further limiting you

·
Registered
279 Posts
I did a lot of inwall research a few years ago and these threads might be useful.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1370457/hard-to-find-in-wall-info-time-for-new-avsf-room

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496464/good-in-wall-speakers#post_24003368

I'd recommend spending up to $300 per speaker for really good ones, though you can find some great deals and prices if you look around.

I ended up choosing Nobile Fidelity. One of the AVS Forum professional moderators just gave the company a bang-up review. Best quality/price ratio of any of the 20 or so inwalls I tried that cost under $500 per speaker.

Other excellent inwalls I've encountered include NHT, Monitor Audio, Canton, Focal (look for deals on ebay), B&W and Definitive Technology.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I personally like sealed in walls; Axiom and Monitor Audio offer sealed at this price point. Axiom might be too bright for you. Aperion and Kef are worth a look too.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ditto on Kef and I am a big fan of Monitor Audio. Kef was one of my finalists. They have a range of options at somewhat cheaper prices. I liked the sound of MA tiny bit more. Hard to explain. Precise but not clinical.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbar  /t/1526561/looking-to-upgrade-our-in-wall-speakers-in-the-living-room#post_24592440

I did a lot of inwall research a few years ago and these threads might be useful.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1370457/hard-to-find-in-wall-info-time-for-new-avsf-room

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496464/good-in-wall-speakers#post_24003368

I'd recommend spending up to $300 per speaker for really good ones, though you can find some great deals and prices if you look around.

I ended up choosing Nobile Fidelity. One of the AVS Forum professional moderators just gave the company a bang-up review. Best quality/price ratio of any of the 20 or so inwalls I tried that cost under $500 per speaker.

Other excellent inwalls I've encountered include NHT, Monitor Audio, Canton, Focal (look for deals on ebay), B&W and Definitive Technology.

Id seen mention of Noble before - is there a direct contact for them? A few posts I read mentioned getting discounts on them but not stating how. Something else about Noble, I would need an out of wall center channel as it sits on my entertainment center. But $300 a speaker is a bit above my budget

·
Registered
279 Posts
Go to the company's website and email or call. Usually Greg answers and he will answer any questions and tell you the local dealer. The site also has links to independent reviews. My dealer gave me a 15% discount off list, but mileage varies.

Initially $300 per was above my budget. So I waited a bit longer to save to get what I really wanted. But if $300 is above your budget, you should look elsewhere. Closeouts like on Boston Acoustics would be a good deal. Speakercraft has some fine speakers in the $200-$250 range.

IMO, $150 per speaker will get you very good, particularly if you find a deal. $250 to $300 per is the sweet spot. All a matter of time, budget and tradeoffs you are willing to make.

Noble Fidelity worked great for me because of my peculiar circumstances. I needed three front in-walls and 4 rear ceiling surrounds and the center had to be a horizontal speaker with a D’Appolito array. That did limit my choices, though quite happily as it turned out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts