AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to look at upgrading my current receiver. I would like one that does the HD audio formats and has at least 3 HDMI inputs. Up to this point I have always gotten Sony receivers and so I was looking at the STRDG820. However, I would be willing to get away from Sony as I know there are better receivers out there, I just don't really know which ones. I would like to stay in the $500 price range if possible. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
Loaded question...If someone owns a certain brand...that is the brand that is recommended...

That being said Onkyo is the more popular choice for performance/price...And yes...I do own an Onkyo...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I have heard other people say good things about Onkyo, so that is one I will look at.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher /forum/post/15537401

I am starting to look at upgrading my current receiver. I would like one that does the HD audio formats and has at least 3 HDMI inputs. Up to this point I have always gotten Sony receivers and so I was looking at the STRDG820. However, I would be willing to get away from Sony as I know there are better receivers out there, I just don't really know which ones. I would like to stay in the $500 price range if possible. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the same boat as you. I have an onkyo that sounds pretty good. It is pre-HDMI so all it does is DD and DTS and has optical inputs. It is a few years old. From what I have been reading on here it seems the new pioneer and pioneer elites that will come out in april 09 are supposed to be pretty amazing for the money.

Good reviews on the pio 2008 vsx 1018 on this site as well as the vsx-01 elite version. Here are the links to the 08 versions... The 09 version of the 1018 will be known as the 1019 and there is no info on the elite version. Retail for the 1019 is going to be 499 in april.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/VSX-1018AH-K

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...vers/VSX-01TXH

The main thing I hear bad about the pio is that the on screen GUI looks like apple IIc graphics. Hopefully the 09 will have a nice HD GUI for the on screen menu. Most problems with receivers that you will read on here is overheating, lip-sync issues and problems with firmware upgrades.

Now I like my onkyo but it will be nice to get a receiver that matches my tv and is integrated through one remote, the price point is perfect and the options it has along with the way it looks is sexy.

Just will have to wait till april or may for reviews on the actual unit from users on here. But from what I am reading on here the 2008 1018's are getting a good rep and can be found now online for less than what you are looking.

Go to best buy magnolia and do some listening. They have some harmon kardon, denon, pioneers and other units I have never heard of. They all sound different so your ears will tell the story of what sounds good to you.

One more thing. It would be a good idea to at least explain what size room you will be putting it in dimension wise, what you will be hooking up to it like a ps3 or blu ray player or direct tv, what your main listening will be like music, movies or games and if you have speakers all ready so that the masters in the AV section can help you further.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info on the pioneers, I will have to check them out as well when the new models come out.

As far as what I am hooking up, I currently have the xbox 360, blu-ray player and tivo-hd (also have a wii, but not too concerned about how that is hooked up). It seems like currently only my blu-ray would be able to take full advantage of a newer receiver, so I guess I would be building around it. As far as room size, I am currently in an apartment, but don't plan on sticking around here much longer, so I am not really sure about future room size. I currently have Yamaha speakers, but would probably be upgrading them eventually (just can't do it all at once).

Sounds like it might be better to wait until the newer models come out, if for no other reason then it should drop the prices of last years models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts