AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting fed up with the lack of HDMI support that plagues my living room. I'm currently running an Samsung HT-Z510 HTIB system, which is a great newbie toy (bought it for my parents, but their toshiba HDTV kept losing signal & thus decided they didn't want it anymore) that I've kept around for the sake of the sound in PS3 gaming.

Now, I want to get a reciever that'll do more than PCM2 (no input HDMI on the Samsung unit) but want to keept the current speaker setup. Here is where my issues begin to unfurl. First, I want to keep the wireless setup. Secondly, what will be capable of powering these speakers? It's an 5.1 system, 170watt 3 ohm satellites, 180watt 3 ohm center and a 340watt sub.. The said numbers are alledgedly RMS for these drivers, but my main concern is the 3ohms they require to run.

I've looked into the Denon AVR-591 and am quite pleased with the offerings it brings. This is my general price range ($300-400) but here are my main questions I've picked my brain about (keep in mind, I'm open to other AVR options so long as they're in my price range):

a.) can these speakers be used by simply keeping my Samsung HTIB intact and simply HDMI it to the AVR along with all my other inputs via HDMI?

b.) can I use these speakers without eating up the 3 ohm speakers? will the Denon handle more power output at lower ohms? Or does the standard 75watt/channel still peak it's amplification?

c.) anyway possible to keep the Samsung equipped wireless rear speaker unit to utilize with this AVR? It's basically a wireless card that plugs into the HTIB that communicates with my rear speaker hub.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm not an home theater wizzard here. Just your average joe who isn't intimidated by learning curves and/or new technologies.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the Denon 591 is rated for 8 ohm speakers - running the cheap HTiB speakers (3 ohm) may work at low volumes, but at higher volumes could damage you a/v receiver.

bottom line - it is false economy to try reusing the HTiB speakers. Just about any modest speaker bundle will greatly outperform them.

this Jamo bundle (currently out of stock, but they are taking pre-orders for the new stock) is about the least expensive budget speaker set that will work well with the 591 and still outperform the HTiB speakers. You will have to run wires to the surrounds or get a wireless adapter like the "rockfish"

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...mo-s-413-hcs-5

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured this would be the case. After I made the post, I realized lower ohm = more heat. I'll just live with the crapiola sound for now and purchase a reciever along with a new speaker system. Hell, maybe it's time for 7.1!

Just a question to throw out there, anyone use the Pioneer VSX-920-K 7.1 unit? It's going f or $299 through Amazon. General impression tells me that a 7.1 reciever at this cost may be something to be weary of.. It has everything I'm pretty much looking for in a reciever (more HDMI ports) but I'm unsure if this is a better package than the Denon. Suggestions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts