AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I'm getting a little tired of the lack of sound from my current setup. I have an older Pioneer Receiver (about 7 years old) that is starting to go out so it's time for an upgrade. I have the receiver coupled with some Yamaha 5.1 satellite speakers. It sound great (to me) when I first bought the setup 7 years ago but I've recently added a Vizio sound bar in my bedroom and the highs and midrange sound much better from the cheap bar

I'm looking for bang for the buck here. Doesn't have to the best, cause honestly I'd probably notice little difference between Good and The Best.

I'm looking at this set. For all 5 speakers it would cost all of $255 and it has EXCELLENT reviews on Amazon. I would continue to use my Yamaha Sub for the time being.

Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer

Sony SS-CN5000 Dual 5.25" Center Channel Speaker

Sony SS-B1000 5 1/8-Inch Bookshelf Speakers

I had looked at some comparable Polk Audio's but they would be closer to $500 and I honestly don't know if it would be worth the extra money for me.

Any recommendations on a good receiver in the $250-300 range? It is primarily only used with my HTPC, DirecTv and Xbox 360.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog /forum/post/0

Hey guys.. I'm getting a little tired of the lack of sound from my current setup. I have an older Pioneer Receiver (about 7 years old) that is starting to go out so it's time for an upgrade. I have the receiver coupled with some Yamaha 5.1 satellite speakers. It sound great (to me) when I first bought the setup 7 years ago but I've recently added a Vizio sound bar in my bedroom and the highs and midrange sound much better from the cheap bar

I'm looking for bang for the buck here. Doesn't have to the best, cause honestly I'd probably notice little difference between Good and The Best.

I'm looking at this set. For all 5 speakers it would cost all of $255 and it has EXCELLENT reviews on Amazon. I would continue to use my Yamaha Sub for the time being.

Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer

Sony SS-CN5000 Dual 5.25" Center Channel Speaker

Sony SS-B1000 5 1/8-Inch Bookshelf Speakers

I had looked at some comparable Polk Audio's but they would be closer to $500 and I honestly don't know if it would be worth the extra money for me.

Any recommendations on a good receiver in the $250-300 range? It is primarily only used with my HTPC, DirecTv and Xbox 360.

Person all I am not a fan of new Sony speakers, while they serve a place in the speaker industry for cheap speakers they are just to cheap for me. And I am quite the Sony supporter with my Sony avr and old Sony towers SS-TL5's, I just not a fan of the Sony's for HT I felt they were way to mellow and were and chrisped and detailed as the polks. But you get what you pay for. For cheap polks check out newegg.com and sign up to their newsletter as they are always running sales

Receiver for $300 you can't get better than the Denon avr-1611.

Another speaker set to look at are Jamo s506 hcs3

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/20774529

Person all I am not a fan of new Sony speakers, while they serve a place in the speaker industry for cheap speakers they are just to cheap for me. And I am quite the Sony supporter with my Sony avr and old Sony towers SS-TL5's, I just not a fan of the Sony's for HT I felt they were way to mellow and were and chrisped and detailed as the polks. But you get what you pay for. For cheap polks check out newegg.com and sign up to their newsletter as they are always running sales

Receiver for $300 you can't get better than the Denon avr-1611.

Another speaker set to look at are Jamo s506 hcs3

I understand what your saying but it just seems to coincidental that everyone likes the speakers. I'm in no way an audiophile, just looking for a good upgrade over the Yamaha Satellites.

I looked into the Polk Audio and while I would prefer to get those it would be almost twice the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinFan /forum/post/20774946

Have you looked at the Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel A/V Receiver and Jamo S426HCS3 5pcs Home Theater Speaker System Bundle at Tigerdirect?

The Onkyo TX-NR509 is actually the receiver I was looking at.

How does Jamo compare to Polk Audio? It would actually be more expensive than the Polk's.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the Jamos closer.. The speakers alone are $499 but bundled with the Onkyo TX-NR509 the package is only $419? Am I really reading that correctly?

·
Registered
29,307 Posts
I listened to the Onkyo NR509 and Jamo S426 last weekend at my local Fry's Electronics. They had a one day deal which included the receiver, speakers and 8" sub for $499 which is an outstanding price. The Jamo speakers are not world beaters but they will definitely be better than your current setup.

So if you're looking for a new receiver and speakers the Tigerdirect package is a pretty good way to go.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...323&CatId=4586

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never heard of Jamo so forgive the questions.. Would the Sony speakers or the Jamos speakers be a better setup?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.