AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This may be my first post but i must say i have been reading avsforum for a while now. The info and knowledge here is staggering and has helped me make a couple choices in the past.

I currently have a Polk PSW12. Up until i did some research here recently i thought it was a "good" sub. It seems i may have been a tad off. It has served me well over the past couple years or so but i am looking to get a little more into the "real" subwoofer scene.

Basically my budget is $500 or so (maybe $550 tops). I have looked tirelessly at HSU, eD, SVS, Outlaw...etc. etc. It seems that there is a nice sub in the $500 - $550 but when the shipping gets added in it just crushes my choice. Typically its $100 or more to ship one of these monsters. This i understand but on most of what i have picked out it becomes a deal breaker.

ED offers free shipping which has kind of steered me to them. The A3-300 with the improved driver caught my eye. Its $500 on the nose.

I am more a movie guy i guess you could say when i am using the system. Although i do like to crank the toons from time to time. im guessin its a 70% movies/tv 30% music ratio.

My current setup is a Yamaha-661, Polk Monitor 50 mains, Polk Monitor 30 rear and side surrounds, Polk CS1 center and a polk PSW12 sub. In a nutshell will the A3-300 blend well and is it a sound choice for my situation.

My viewing area is 20 feet long and 12 feet wide with 8 foot 5 inch ceilings. Its an an old house and the ceilings are higher for some odd reason. Sub size is not an issue and i have different areas of the room i can use for placement. I am basically held back by only my financial prowess as most of us are sadly.

I will also be investing in a gramma from sweetwater for the new toy to nestle upon. I am definitely open to both suggestions and opinions. Thank you in advance. Ill be watching.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog1967 /forum/post/14230669

Hello everyone. This may be my first post but i must say i have been reading avsforum for a while now. The info and knowledge here is staggering and has helped me make a couple choices in the past.

I currently have a Polk PSW12. Up until i did some research here recently i thought it was a "good" sub. It seems i may have been a tad off. It has served me well over the past couple years or so but i am looking to get a little more into the "real" subwoofer scene.

Basically my budget is $500 or so (maybe $550 tops). I have looked tirelessly at HSU, eD, SVS, Outlaw...etc. etc. It seems that there is a nice sub in the $500 - $550 but when the shipping gets added in it just crushes my choice. Typically its $100 or more to ship one of these monsters. This i understand but on most of what i have picked out it becomes a deal breaker.

ED offers free shipping which has kind of steered me to them. The A3-300 with the improved driver caught my eye. Its $500 on the nose.

I am more a movie guy i guess you could say when i am using the system. Although i do like to crank the toons from time to time. im guessin its a 70% movies/tv 30% music ratio.

My current setup is a Yamaha-661, Polk Monitor 50 mains, Polk Monitor 30 rear and side surrounds, Polk CS1 center and a polk PSW12 sub. In a nutshell will the A3-300 blend well and is it a sound choice for my situation.

My viewing area is 20 feet long and 12 feet wide with 8 foot 5 inch ceilings. Its an an old house and the ceilings are higher for some odd reason. Sub size is not an issue and i have different areas of the room i can use for placement. I am basically held back by only my financial prowess as most of us are sadly.

I will also be investing in a gramma from sweetwater for the new toy to nestle upon. I am definitely open to both suggestions and opinions. Thank you in advance. Ill be watching.

for your budget i would go with the eD A3-300 with the upgraded driver for $500 SHIPPED

you'll be glad u did

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as calling SVS real
go and get yourself a real world professional 18" sub that's used in the real world you won't find SVS in a cinema.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14231357

I wouldn't go as far as calling SVS real
go and get yourself a real world professional 18" sub that's used in the real world you won't find SVS in a cinema.

I can understand where you're coming from...

However, in my experience, it seems that sometimes I don't find ANY subs in the cinema
. The lack of bass in most local theaters is just depressing. Explosions are anemic at best and nonexistent at worst. Sure, there might be a good theater here or there, but not all of us live within spitting distance of the Empire Leicester

Also, that 18" JBL pro sub is a bit more than $500
. SVS, Hsu, eD, and other companies make subs that work very well in the smaller HT environment.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/14231513

However, in my experience, it seems that sometimes I don't find ANY subs in the cinema
. The lack of bass in most local theaters is just depressing. Explosions are anemic at best and nonexistent at worst. Sure, there might be a good theater here or there, but not all of us live within spitting distance of the Empire Leicester

. SVS, Hsu, eD, and other companies make subs that work very well in the smaller HT environment.

All the cinemas in my Area are JBL THX. Freaking amazing. 4x Dual 18"s per screen, with 8 in the 2x bigger ones. Honestly, the JBL Professional subs are something that can't be matched in visceral impact. Bare in mind I had a RL-P18 tuned to 10hz in a 25 cu ft enclosure, and I still would prefer a JBL dual 18".

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy /forum/post/14231539

All the cinemas in my Area are JBL THX. Freaking amazing. 4x Dual 18"s per screen, with 8 in the 2x bigger ones. Honestly, the JBL Professional subs are something that can't be matched in visceral impact. Bare in mind I had a RL-P18 tuned to 10hz in a 25 cu ft enclosure, and I still would prefer a JBL dual 18".

Guess it's time to take a trip to Huntington Beach then
. All of the theaters around me are terrible. Name a couple of your favorite theaters and I might bother to take a little drive
. Oh, and I'm completely not against JBL. I like their speakers and know their pro subs have great slam, but I guess I just haven't been in many theaters around here that have them working correctly.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Most cinema sound usually sucks. The frequency response of a typical JBL Pro sub is (-10 dB) 38 Hz - 150 Hz. It's all quantity instead of quality.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/14231513

Actually it cost around £170.00 there about it's a DIY version driver was £100.00 from the free-adds the MDF was around £45.00 and then my friend helped to build it while my other friend did the paint work that was around £25.00.

And Empire would impressive most of the die hard nutters on this site, including myself. I would go professional because a few sale second-hand subs off and in good nick. Cloverfield (2008) does a nice job on the LFE.1 JBL 4645 and I'm not looking for replacement not in the 10 years that I have been running the sub.

As for those piss poor donkey cinemas in your area, I would do a thumbs down write up, throw some pictures in as well. The local cinemas near me, have naff bass that only flutters with flabby distortion between 30Hz and 50Hz, it's so embarrassing
I have to pay £7.00 in the past and I want my money back Odeon sucks!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/14231594

Most cinema sound usually sucks. The frequency response of a typical JBL Pro sub is (-10 dB) 38 Hz - 150 Hz. It's all quantity instead of quality.

Heck I'd take just quantity! At my local theaters I don't get either quantity or quality.

Looking at the specs for JBL's pro subs, they're -10dB in the 22-25hz range. Still not all that impressive compared to big DIY subs or an Epik Conquest, but I think getting down around 20hz is still deep enough to convey much of the bass in most movies. And in smaller rooms like JBLsound4645, I'd be willing to bet they're pretty insane

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14231655

As for those piss poor donkey cinemas in your area, I would do a thumbs down write up, throw some pictures in as well. The local cinemas near me, have naff bass that only flutters with flabby distortion between 30Hz and 50Hz, it’s so embarrassing
I have to pay £7.00 in the past and I want my money back Odeon sucks!

Agreed. I almost DID ask for a refund after I saw Iron Man a few days ago. I doubt there was a bass peak above 95dB at my listening position. Not to mention the fact that the screen was flickering and had a nice vertical line (black or yellow depending on the part of the movie) all the way down the screen.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/14231673

Agreed. I almost DID ask for a refund after I saw Iron Man a few days ago. I doubt there was a bass peak above 95dB at my listening position. Not to mention the fact that the screen was flickering and had a nice vertical line (black or yellow depending on the part of the movie) all the way down the screen.

You forgot to take the SPL db metre with you, its funny that most if not all AVS members haven’t even bothered to take it along yet its so common to use it in the home? Go and see the film again only this time take the SPL db metre and sit in the same seat!

Don’t for heavens sakes tell the management afterwards that you used an SPL db metre, keep that to yourself. Just say the centre channel HF was distorting on a few loud passages and 9 times out of 10 you’ll be laughing when they’ll give you refund.

I remember the Ironside flipping overhead the screaming girl at the Empire 120dbc! That was pressure that I felt on my body smooth no boom just smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/14231657

Heck I'd take just quantity! At my local theaters I don't get either quantity or quality.

Looking at the specs for JBL's pro subs, they're -10dB in the 22-25hz range. Still not all that impressive compared to big DIY subs or an Epik Conquest, but I think getting down around 20hz is still deep enough to convey much of the bass in most movies. And in smaller rooms like JBLsound4645, I'd be willing to bet they're pretty insane

I wouldn’t mind going for JBL 2242H for fun, cost is around £450.00 UK I think for brand new sub bass driver.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14231693

You forgot to take the SPL db metre with you, its funny that most if not all AVS members haven't even bothered to take it along yet its so common to use it in the home? Go and see the film again only this time take the SPL db metre and sit in the same seat!

Don't for heavens sakes tell the management afterwards that you used an SPL db metre, keep that to yourself. Just say the centre channel HF was distorting on a few loud passages and 9 times out of 10 you'll be laughing when they'll give you refund.

I remember the Ironside flipping overhead the screaming girl at the Empire 120dbc! That was pressure that I felt on my body smooth no boom just smooth.

Yes I remember you saying that before - I'm jealous! No theater I've been in has been anywhere near 120dB. I'd doubt I've experienced anything higher than 105-107dB in a local cinema. Good idea with the SPL meter. If I'm feeling bored sometime I might just try it

And to the OP: considering your budget, the A3-300 with the upgraded driver is probably your best choice for the best combination of output and extension at the ~$500 price point. The Outlaw LFM-1+ seems to get a lot of love on the outlaw owners thread and looks a lot nicer if that matters to you. Best of luck! And sorry for the off topic posts

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/14231778

Yes I remember you saying that before - I'm jealous! No theater I've been in has been anywhere near 120dB. I'd doubt I've experienced anything higher than 105-107dB in a local cinema. Good idea with the SPL meter. If I'm feeling bored sometime I might just try it

And to the OP: considering your budget, the A3-300 with the upgraded driver is probably your best choice for the best combination of output and extension at the ~$500 price point. The Outlaw LFM-1+ seems to get a lot of love on the outlaw owners thread and looks a lot nicer if that matters to you. Best of luck!

Actually the Odeon Westover road is the worst sounding cinema. levels are just too toopy I’m talking around 100dbA and when the lows come in and I can list the point from where the stage channels just chock and sound like there going to bottom out!

The Matrix 1999 Neo back flips out of the way of subway train and the right front just sounded like it was going to give up the ghost. This was when the cinema was trying to compete with the ABC only 6 or so doors away.

Odeon was getting all hyped at the time for Star Wars episode 1, with Dolby CP500 installed in screens 1 upstairs the largest cinema in the area with seating that is. Screen 6 downstairs, what used to be large whole screen that was until it was gutted and turned into a shoebox multiplex.

It was so funny listening to the same film in four different auditoriums at the time. First was Odeon I admit I saw it shamefully 5 or so times in Odeon screen 1 once in screen 6.

Now screen 6 was totally fitted with JBL while screen 1 only had JBL 8330 surrounds some 16 installed. No replacement of the old Altec A-4 that can’t even mange a decent film today. Odeon was just to idle and lazy to remove these speakers.

The horror story several years later I was shown behind the screen at late night raiders of the Lost Ark screening (2003) 35mm Dolby stereo A type. I saw the horror and knew there was no way these speakers can do, not for today’s demands. They had JBL 2360-A HF horns laying on the floor of all places except for the centre channel.

So what happens when sounds pan! They lose localization on the left and right. I was later ********ed by there chief projectionist Darren Payne a few days later when he said “that’s where they should be and that they where pointing upwards to the sweet spot”

Anyway screen 6 going back to (1999) Star Wars sound naff over the LCR fronts and the two JBL 4645B just overwhelmed the rest of the bass in the film. All the hard low end in the stage channels was lost, plus the screen width was reduced back in (1988) due to the shoebox cinemas being in the way, the projection beam was narrowed and it really does like, you’re peeping though a letterbox!

Stage is narrow for stereo while the surrounds are okay and that just won’t do it’s all got to work otherwise someone will notice. Oh, I almost forget to mention the huge air-conditioning unit that is behind cinema it sticks out like sore thumb as if there isn’t enough air in the cinema already, you don’t need to turn around every 10 or 15 minutes, with pissed off look on your face!

ABC screen 1 same film and thou ABC is now under the Odeon name and that is shame and real deep shame! The surrounds in the cinema where knackered by Darren Payne due to turn the Dolby fader up and down on films and I have seen his arm near the fader from the port window some 70 feet away, now then. The subs where also knackered by this Muppet and so I wasn't getting any enjoyment expect a distortion popping sound from the JBL 4645.

The surrounds are unknown expect they had 12” bass driver and what looked like bullet tweeter. There was six located on the back wall and provided good surround for many years, that was until Darren Payne was assigned to the site, all I can say he’s piss poor lazy ass projectionist.

UCI same Star Wars film was a bit on the quite side and the cinema had only installed Dolby CP500 a few years before around 1996-97 I think. The surrounds where replaced from ceiling to sidewall around 6 or 8 I think. It was just as crap there I think a few screens had JBL 4645C installed where before they had no subs not even for hyped up dts Jurassic Park back in 1993, now then!

The stage speakers where the same from day one, EV thou don’t know the model number, twin 15” bass mid loaded in can the EV was THX approved, and would be on the old THX cinema equipment list around 1989-90.

I remember The Last Emperor being around 90db when seeing that in 70mm Dolby stereo A type at the ABC, yeah that’s a joke!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My HSU VTF2.3 blew me away. UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE! I didn't even realize it until I saw a movie in the theater and then the same movie at home. It was like I was missing half the movie. It's $610 shipped. Save your quarters. It's worth it. I tested an ED and it wasn't as nice.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
I've heard wicked bass and sub bass at the Empire it's the only cinema in the UK that as measured up, oh not forgetting CIC High Wycombe that had a wicked THX screen that sounded like the whole naturalness of the universe was contained in the cinema power to the audience is all I can say. Bass hasn't felt this good with Arachnophobia (1989) hard on the body kick slam and even depth was ludicrously low and in my face.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Talking about spiders I just saw a small spider crawling down the wall and it landed on the computer desk I had to splatter it! I have a phobia about spiders Arachnophobia I guess it's the Cloverfield Roar! overture that I'm playing spiders must like it, so they come out to have look around.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OP:

Sorry they hijacked your thread about a "real" sub. I just pulled the trigger on an A3-300, I think you should do the same. It was only 475 shipped. I didn't upgrade the driver for 25 bucks. I wonder if that was a bad decision.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts