AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at some advice on these speakers...my current ones are Polk signature series S55, S35, S15 and S10's. Would the SVS be a significant upgrade, are they warm, bright? It would be paired with a Denon 4500h.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Im looking at some advice on these speakers...my current ones are Polk signature series S55, S35, S15 and S10's. Would the SVS be a significant upgrade, are they warm, bright? It would be paired with a Denon 4500h.
Most likely a lateral move, imo...with the exception of the 3-way SVS center which would be an improvement over the dinky little S35. (Hell, even the S30 would be an improvement over the S35.)

If HT not music is your main usage, I would just upgrade your center speaker. And what sub(s) are you using? If you don't have any, THAT would be equally important as the center speaker upgrade unless you seldom watch blockbuster action movies.

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^awesome...this is the kind of answer I was looking for! I completely agree that the s35 is lacking...I noticed it right away when I upgraded my receiver.

As far as my Sub...its a Klipsch SPL-120.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
^awesome...this is the kind of answer I was looking for! I completely agree that the s35 is lacking...I noticed it right away when I upgraded my receiver.

As far as my Sub...its a Klipsch SPL-120.
Oh man, just spend the money you would've wasted on a whole new SVS setup on a good center (and it does NOT have to be by Polk---they don't make any really good center speakers until you get up to their LSi-A series which are way overpriced unless on clearance at Adorama.com) and a good sub or two, in the $500-600 apiece range like Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV12-F depending on your room size (including all adjacent open spaces, not just your listening area).

THAT will put a big grin on your face for the rest of the year, pandemic or not. :D

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ok, and pardon my ignorance...I've read a lot about the front 3 needing to be the same...timber matched...so your saying I can get any center I want and it would not effect the front stage?

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
^ok, and pardon my ignorance...I've read a lot about the front 3 needing to be the same...timber matched...so your saying I can get any center I want and it would not effect the front stage?
3 identical speakers in vertical alignment for the front stage are the ONLY way to get a true "timbre match"---and they're worth the trouble mainly if: 1) You listen to a lot of music in upmixed fake surround mode or "all channel stereo" mode, 2) You do a lot of multi-channel gaming, or 3) you are an extremely picky/fastidious user who LISTENS to movies instead of WATCHING them like most people.

1. I've had a "matching" LCR of 3 identical front speakers, with the L/R vertical and the C horizontal.
2. I've had a "quasi-matching" LCR of 2 bookshelves and 1 horizontal center from the same brand and model family.
3. I've had a "mismatched" set of a horizontal center from a completely different brand and different tweeter type than the L/R speakers.
4. I've had a "mismatched" set of 2 bookshelves with a 3rd bookshelf of a different brand in the center position standing up, aligned with the L/R.
5. I've had a "mismatched" set of 2 bookshelves with a 3rd bookshelf of a different brand in the center position on its side.

And the only two conclusions I can derive from my experience with any degree of certainty are:
I. #4 usually sounds a bit better than #5 . And even then, #5 doesn't apply if all 3 speakers are of a concentric design.
II. The perceptible SQ difference between #1 , 2, and 3 are negligible as long as the horizontal center speaker is a good one.

There are however 3 rough "working" rules that I have inferred from my experience:

a. A crappy center speaker (mainly one lacking in adequate voice clarity) is a crappy center speaker which will severely hamper your HT enjoyment, whether it "matches" the other speakers or not. Do not suffer with a crappy center speaker merely for the sake of some ivory-tower ideal.

b. A very good bookshelf speaker used in the center position that is identical to the L/R bookshelf speakers, will sound very good...BUT at moderately loud or louder volumes, it will still not sound quite as "big" (involving, dramatic, vivid, immersive, etc.) as a very good horizontal center speaker that has double or more the surface area in woofers, esp. a 3-way design that minimizes lobing such as the Emotiva centers. The exceptions might be with very high-sensitivity single woofer designs like the PSA MT-110 which are already extremely dynamic and clear by themselves.

c. If #3 best fits your budget and WAF requirements, by all means do it. Don't overthink this silly hobby, it's not worth it...just get the best you can with what budget you have, then sit back and (gasp!) ENJOY what you have. Don't become a chronic, obsessive gearhead...that will only suck the life and joy out of everything.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^much much appreciated on your detailed response, and yes one can lose it over analyzing!

My case use is HT and thats it. With your response I think I can concentrate on looking for a better center channel, but I just bought the Sub last month and past my return period, so Im stuck with it for a while!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
^much much appreciated on your detailed response, and yes one can lose it over analyzing!

My case use is HT and thats it. With your response I think I can concentrate on looking for a better center channel, but I just bought the Sub last month and past my return period, so Im stuck with it for a while!
You're welcome. You can probably resell it on Craigslist for at least half of what you paid for it.

Here are some proven-performer horizontal centers in the $250-400 range, which most people are quite happy with:
* Emotiva C1 or C2
* Chane A2.4
* Ascend 340SE
* Hsu CCB-8

Centers with free return shipping:
* HTD Level 3 center
* RSL CG25
* Infinity R263C (goes on sale a couple times a year for half off)

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^thanks again...I ended up going with the Polk S30...got a good deal on one...and now putting some thought into the subs you recommended!

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
You might find this video informative:

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^appreciate it, will have to separate some time to watch it. My budget is around $2,000.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
^appreciate it, will have to separate some time to watch it. My budget is around $2,000.
With a $2,000 budget I suggest dual HSU VTF-3 Mk5's. You should have enough left over to buy a couple of Bluejeans Cables interconnects for your subwoofers.

PS

There may be a Memorial day sale at HSU. Don't know which sub will be on sale.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^lol, a good friend of mine here along with @Zorba922 has recommended those subs! I dont think I have the space for 2 subs...plus theirs the waf! Problem is is that I just bought the sub I have now and out of my return window.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
^lol, a good friend of mine here along with @Zorba922 has recommended those subs!
How big is your space, exactly?

Is it totally enclosed, or an open plan with adjacent open rooms?

In the basement, on a slab, or an upstairs room?

All of the above influences just how much subwooferage you really need.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^well, it's actually a room in my house that I converted into a cave...its small. I actually have a 9.1 set up...its not ideal but I worked with what I had.

The chaise couch I put in their wont allow me to fit another sub, it would be nice, but dont think I can make it happen.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
^well, it's actually a room in my house that I converted into a cave...its small. I actually have a 9.1 set up...its not ideal but I worked with what I had.

The chaise couch I put in their wont allow me to fit another sub, it would be nice, but dont think I can make it happen.
What are the exact dimensions of the room?

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^12'x10'x9'

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
^12'x10'x9'
If that is a fully enclosed space, with no open adjacent spaces, a single Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV-12F would be plenty.

In fact, if you'll be sitting about 10 feet or less from the screen, you could easily do 3 x NHT C1, at $128 apiece from Amazon (NHT website sells them for $250 apiece). Amazon limits each customer to just 2 though, so you would need to get a friend or family member to buy the 3rd one for you. Or, you could use an Emotiva C1 for the center.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
^12'x10'x9'
Klipsch subs have measured well and while expensive (at full price) compared to the competition, they are not bad subs.

Yours is a 24hz 300watt/600watt peak 12" sub so in that small room likely sounds reasonably impressive.

Here's the measurements from the smaller Klipsch R110SW, 200 watt 10" rated at 27hz extension and these guys found it had a -3db point of 29hz, so pretty close to spec.

The response is quite flat so Klipsch doesn't fib with their sub specifications as much as some other "name brand" subs.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/klipsch-reference-premiere-rp-150m-speaker-system-review-test-bench

But yes, a HSU VTF2 is a better sub.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If that is a fully enclosed space, with no open adjacent spaces, a single Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV-12F would be plenty.

In fact, if you'll be sitting about 10 feet or less from the screen, you could easily do 3 x NHT C1, at $128 apiece from Amazon (NHT website sells them for $250 apiece). Amazon limits each customer to just 2 though, so you would need to get a friend or family member to buy the 3rd one for you. Or, you could use an Emotiva C1 for the center.
Ive been trying to move around some of the furniture in the room to make some room for a second sub...but no go! I think im gonna see how it works out with the S30, it gets here on Thurs!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts