AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Yamaha 6190, and Energy RC-70 speakers for the fronts and matching Energy speakers for the center and rear. How much more money would it cost to run my setup with the Emotiva amp? I average 4 hours a day, and more on weekends
How much extra will I be spending a month on power because of the Emotiva? My wifes already pissed about the hydro as it is. I believe the Emotiva is 200 watt into 5 channels. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
It can not be meaningful...its a fraction of the cost compared to a dryer, diswasher, etc....

Remember that 99.9% of the time you are probably using less then 16 Watts per channel!!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/15422465

It can not be meaningful...its a fraction of the cost compared to a dryer, diswasher, etc....

Remember that 99.9% of the time you are probably using less then 16 Watts per channel!!

Amen to that. Hook that baby up and rock away!

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So does the amp only send power when the speakers demand it? I thought that they were constantly being fed the 200 wat per channel, and that freaked me out. That doesn't sound to bad then.

How much of a difference to you think I would notice with my RC-70 speakers? I mostly watch movies, but I do enjoy music (maybe 6 hours a week). I find that when stuff gets really loud the speakers lose some of their clarity.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
What you describe is the very reason most external ampers do what they do.

Clean reserve power is necessary to keep well made speakers coherent when audio gets demanding.

And no, the 200W is not constant. Most all Audio electronics have a peak rating and a standby/idle rating. Actual usage will fall in-between the two and much closer to the idle figure.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
There's a product IIRC, called Kill-a-watt, that measures the power usage on devices. If I have the name wrong, there are definitely products that do that sort of thing, try to find one of those.

If you wife really wants to cut power usage, then unplug "wall wart" AC adaptors. They burn power even when not doing anything. There are also power strips that can "turn off" stuff when not being actively used.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Kill A Watt is a nice unit.

I learned some interesting stuff playing around with mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.