AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day from Texas.


I have been lurking for awhile around here, and thought maybe it was time to post up what I am looking to do. My wife an I are building a house an I get control over this little piece of heaven.


I have been going through tons of threads and builds, all of it beautiful stuff, especially in the HT sub-forum. WOW, Some of your guys are just plain talented. Now, I don't know to what extent I will get, but this is my layout.






The game room I am building is 20' x 25' with 9' ceilings boxed to 10' and geared toward entertainment.


Current Items going in:


-Shuffle Board Table( Need suggestion on where to get )

-Pool Table( Need suggestions on where to get )

-52" Sony XBR4

-Sony STR-DH800 AV Receiver

-Yamaha Surround sound system

-Sony PS3

-X-Box360


The bar is currently just a thought it may end up being a poker table, but I am undecided. All so going in to the house is a Nuvo whole home audio system.



Let me know what you think.


Thanks

Looking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Looks like a decent plan. You are trying to fit a lot into one space, so I would just be prepared for some compromise somewhere. For instance, you may need to get a smaller pool table or shuffle board table, so that the playability is still there. Is the bar a dry area, or are you planning for plumbing/power over there?


Do you have any questions that we can help you with, or are you just using this to track your progress? It's good to ask a bunch of questions up front, before the plan gets too far down the road to change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Woo! Good to see a shuffleboard table in there!! I got mine off of Craigslist. It's 12', not the best table in the world, but it's plenty playable.


Personally, I would run the bad along the back of your seating. Nobody wants to stare at a wall -- especially when there's a sweet TV to look at. That's one of the items I changed along the way with my room development.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce /forum/post/18209835


Looks like a decent plan. You are trying to fit a lot into one space, so I would just be prepared for some compromise somewhere. For instance, you may need to get a smaller pool table or shuffle board table, so that the playability is still there. Is the bar a dry area, or are you planning for plumbing/power over there?


Do you have any questions that we can help you with, or are you just using this to track your progress? It's good to ask a bunch of questions up front, before the plan gets too far down the road to change.



Thanks for the compliment. Ya, I know its a lot for one room, but I am also trying to get the most out of the room without feeling cramped.


If the bar gets done it is just going to be a dry bar, no plumbing, but will have power for a under counter fridge. But bar will be later though, I want to try an do it myself like some of the others I have seen around here.



The only thing I was looking for suggestion on were the pool table and shuffle board. Maybe some places to start looking for pricing. I drew the plan up at Brunswick's website but am open to different table and boards if anyone knows anything about them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan94 /forum/post/18210044


Woo! Good to see a shuffleboard table in there!! I got mine off of Craigslist. It's 12', not the best table in the world, but it's plenty playable.


Personally, I would run the bad along the back of your seating. Nobody wants to stare at a wall -- especially when there's a sweet TV to look at. That's one of the items I changed along the way with my room development.


My wife an I love playing shuffle board, so it was definitely a piece we wanted for the room.


Do you have any pictures of your set up? I would like to see. I am completely open to suggestion on floor layout and space planning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Take a stoll through my build thread located down there -----V
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Are you and your bride serious pool players or occasional players like most people. I ask because very, very few people play pool though many have tables thinking they are a necessary staple of a home game room.


We had a pool table for about 10 years - not a regulation size - just a 4X8 - and it was still a monsterous space hog.


We learned that "really" playing pool is almost as difficult as really being good at playing golf. We learned that many people are intimidated by a pool table and not comfortable in trying to play plus we learned that our pool table limited our space for more games and games that appeal to a wide variety of friends/family. At the most, only four can play pool at one time.


We were glad to see the pool table sold and gone and the game space we gained was amazing. Suddenly we could expand our pinball game lineup and add a foosball table and standup commercial dart game and still also have more space for people to stand and socialize and party together.


So, our real-life experience is to suggest you consider a couple or three good pinball machines instead of the 1000 pound "elephant" of a pool table.

GoodLuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imjay, Thanks for the reply. We put a lot of thought into the pool table. We play at her parents house and a friend of ours house pretty regularly. We like playing each other and with friends.


Spartan, Saw your build it looks great. I saw the shuffle board table in your sketch ups but did not see it in any of the pictures, what kind of table do you have an were did you get it from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2good /forum/post/18218211


Spartan, Saw your build it looks great. I saw the shuffle board table in your sketch ups but did not see it in any of the pictures, what kind of table do you have an were did you get it from.

Wow -- you're right I dont have very many pictures of it. Here's one (before work had been done on my basement):

http://www.screencast.com/t/pTktYC3icsP


It's a 12' table made by playcraft (I think). I got it used for $500 off of CraigsList
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
My suggestion is look for a pool table is craigslist. I bought mine about 2 years ago and got a great price. I wanted a a 6 or 7ft table so it didnt take up too much room. I grew up on a 6ft table so I dont mind the smaller size.


I found a solid maple gandy table with black felt, carved legs, 3 piece slate, and almost mint condition for $500. I paid a pool table moving company $400 to take it apart, move it down two flights of stairs, drive it 25 miles, take it down my stairs, and set it up, so I have $900 invested in it. The guy who bought it said he spent over $4,500 on it. I would never buy a new table because you can get such a good deal on used ones. Even if it needs new felt and bumpers you will still spend a lot less on it.


Same goes for shuffle board. A real shuffle board table that has a solid maple playing surface are very expensive. I have been looking for over a year for a good deal to pop up on one for at least a 12ft table. You can buy the laminated ones for pretty cheap, and they play okay, but the real maple tables play much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
I would second the suggestion to look for a used table on Craigslist. If you take your time you can find some great deals on tables. Also look on Ebay. I found my table on Ebay.


If you are serious players look for one of the following table brands; Diamond, Brunswick, Olhausen and Connelly. Diamonds are considered the best of the best, and the price reflects that. I would suggest having a reputable mechanic set up your table. A top mechanic (not just an installer) can make any table play its best.


Here is the place you want to go to do ANY research on billiards...


http://forums.azbilliards.com


Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 /forum/post/18336666


I would second the suggestion to look for a used table on Craigslist. If you take your time you can find some great deals on tables. Also look on Ebay. I found my table on Ebay.


If you are serious players look for one of the following table brands; Diamond, Brunswick, Olhausen and Connelly. Diamonds are considered the best of the best, and the price reflects that. I would suggest having a reputable mechanic set up your table. A top mechanic (not just an installer) can make any table play its best.


Here is the place you want to go to do ANY research on billiards...


http://forums.azbilliards.com


Good luck.

Thanks, I'll check that forum out. I appreciate the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I have been doing some looking and planning an I want to get a Projector and pull down screen for the game room. I want the screen to pull down in front of the wall mounted TV. This will be mainly for night time movies, but will see some Xbox time and Big TV events like the Super Bowl.


Any suggestions on a set up would be great. I would like to stay under $2500.



All so I need an HDMI source selector, so I can switch between the Mounted TV and the Projector. I would be splitting the signal from my A/V receiver as it only has one HDMI out.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, So I have sold the wife on the projector and the screen after going to a local AV Store and need some help. I gave the guy at the store some of my dimensions and he said not to go over a 92" Screen.


I don't want to buy from them as they are expensive, so screen and projector selection help would be great.


Here is a new layout and let me know what you think. I want to do a pull down screen to come down in front of the wall mounted Flat screen.





Thanks for the help in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a slow process but here is an update.


Here is the wall where the TV will hang with the AV closet in the next room.




Here the the Termination panel in the attic.



I also just pick up for free from work, since we were not using it a

Netgear FS524 Network Switch.


Here is the ceiling of the Room. I have pulled cables for the Nuvo Speakers and the 5.1 surround, but for some reason have failed to take pictures.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top