AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While browsing this forum the last couple weeks, I've noticed that some new, exciting projectors have emerged such as the Infocus LP500 & LP530 and the Plus Piano. I'm wondering when comparisons will be made of these marvels. I mean c'mon, the new InFocus projectors have the Sage chipset and the Piano has native 16:9 (I believe)! That's some serious news in the HT market! And I see Infocus is gonna have some HT-only units.

Lemme ask this: which projector will be the LT150 killer and when? I'm gettin anxious.

------------------

Chuck
Chuckster's HT
Equipment List

[This message has been edited by Chuckster (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckster:
Lemme ask this: which projector will be the LT150 killer and when? I'm gettin anxious.
Not in a LONG LONG time. Put the new 6 segment colorwheel into the LT150 to remove rainbow and the LT150 will RULE forever until TI has some breakthrough in DLP technology to kill those motion artifact (dithering and crosshatching) in ALL 1-chip DLP.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree, although I wouldn't necessarily point to just the last couple weeks. After following the front projector market since the mid-90s, I've noticed that the last year is really looking like a knee the curve. Projectors are better (higher-rez, brighter, smaller, quieter), they're more geared towards home theater, and best of all, the prices are now comparable to RPTV instead of in the stratosphere where they used to be.

Quote:
Not in a LONG LONG time. Put the new 6 segment colorwheel into the LT150 to remove rainbow and the LT150 will RULE forever until TI has some breakthrough in DLP technology to kill those motion artifact (dithering and crosshatching) in ALL 1-chip DLP.
And put in a zoom lens! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dave

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I concur with Dave W

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The Lt150 doesn't rule and never did:

It is a great deal at $1,700 but has major

Weakness:

*antiquated 4:3 design

*low lumens

*1000 hour lamp with $500 replacement

*No zoom

*only good for for people not sensitve to rainbow effects-

Lenny Eckian

[This message has been edited by leckian (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
It is not that the manufacturers are "finally waking up" it is that the market has evolved to a point where this (FP) is a realistic consideration to HT enthusiasts. As in any technology there are seperate and distinct phases

You have your Bleeding edge technology that is just past beta test

Then comes the high end corporate phase where it exists and is really cool, but most people can't even dream about it.

Then it starts to be more realistic to other budgets, and most of the bugs are worked out.

After this it starts being modified/implemented for other high end consumer use.

Then the technology eveolves to the point where the cost, size, quality, is at a point where normal people can start to look at it.

Then it is available at Circuit city

Look at GPS, Look at CD players, Look at DVD Players, Look at HD, Look at SDI (did you know that SDI has been used for the last 15 years?)

What we are seeing is the logical evolution of the technology. Years ago we would not have imagined having a faroudja in our homes, now we debate whether its quality is sufficient.

The big leap that is going to happen is as more manufacturers realize that a product can be positioned for the Home market. Then other features and options are available. lets face it, a 3 pound projector for the home is cool, but not required. What you will see is the 5-8 pounders being modified with lower noise, better colour, decent zoom, all that crap. When using a Business machine that is designed around that app, you won't have the best option for Home. The business machines are constantly trying to get smaller, brighter, higher res. Because they are working with laptops, travelling around, and generally if the PowerPoint slides look good then it is fine.

For the home market there is a definite target that once you get there, you are pretty much done.

(some would argue that for home we want higher and higher res as well, but i think that for 99% of the applications out there, on a digital machine, 720P or 1080P as a resolution is our final target)

Sure, we will always want colour and brightness to improve (nobody ever complained about a good picture being too bright) Now we are getting to the point where those targets are achievable. And on top of that, the brightness is sufficient that they can concentrate on the blacks. The big point for any manufacturer is "How many of these can i sell in its product life?" When we mention the business machines they have a product life of 6-8 months. THat is it. SO the machine is cranked out... sold like a mother... then replaced.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Other than weight, product life is the real difference between the business and home markets. The ridiculous prices for lamp assemblies (and other parts) are primarily caused by the small number of any type of FP produced - businesses rarely replace a bulb before the projector.

However, even the "HT" projectors seem to be running at a 1-2 year sales life, mainly due to tech advances. It may be years until this stabilizes. What really worries me is lamp replacements in 3-5 years - Sony 10HT owners are asking for help finding them, and that model is still in production! We are used to CRT TVs which normally last 5-10 years with no maintenance... if a FP maker would commit to a large run of replacement lamps for some model (or use the same lamp for several models!) we could see ~$200 each; THAT would make a difference. Everyone hates the add-on costs - a $500 lamp really kills a lot of deals (ask my wife!).

·
Registered
578 Posts
Infocus has been talking about a 2-piece home theater

system for so long it's a joke to me. And I really looked forward to it way back when first announced.

I don't think their infocushome.com page has been updated EVER? Certainly not in that past 6-9 months!

I know I was all set to get the now famous LT150 as a current 'best value/picture' halfway solution -until I found out about the 1000hr. $500 bulbs! -deal breaker even for a temp. projector.

A new light source for microdisplay systems will be about all it'll take to put FP into the mainstream I believe.

All the other factors are minor and are bound to continue to improve quickly over time.

Most people want to be able to use whatever their main monitor is at all times and not worry about bulb life or burn in.

Maybe fusionlighting.com has the answer? I hope so!

I want an HD 'something' sooooon!!, and I'd like it to be very big and able to be used as much as my standard normal tv gets used without having to worry about how many cents per hour I'm burning up.

1000hr.+ 'light source' life is my bet for when FP will make it's big break into home theater.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oops, I see infocushome. com has been updated... the update was to REMOVE everything that used to be there.

I know most people are talking about the specs of the future home designed systems, but I still say the lamp life is the BIG issue for most people who're still not ready to 'jump in'.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.