AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
They should have been about the marketing earlier on. Not sure what the SB ad will do for them...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The majority of HDTV's (3.9 million estimated for this year) are sold leading up to the Super Bowl, not after it.

This is simply a waste of 2.3 million dollars by Toshiba.

·
Banned
188 Posts
This will not work...I think Blu Ray has started taken hold of the semi curious HDM wannabe crowd...just today at lunch I had someone ask me what I knew about Blu Ray...previously not a SOUL I knew would ask about HDM.

Blu's marketing machine is too strong for HD DVD to overcome I think.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I think this will work quite well! Go Toshiba!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Who knows? HDTVs were sold, so maybe now folks are looking for content. What interests me is the quality and content of the spot. If it's not something that people will talk about, then it won't do anything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't know about a "difference"...we'll see.

P.S. And I'm not saying that because I'm a Blu-ray fan. If Sony ran an ad for Blu-ray I wouldn't think it'd matter either. There have been plenty of "The Future is Blu" and PS3 as a Blu-ray device ads running in regular spots while I have not seen an HD DVD ad in a while.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Will it help if they go into stores and find the HD players on clearance? Or what if the sales people give them the honest information about the studios and the format war? Do you think some of them will still purchase players? I don't.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Too little, too late. Waste of money. They should invest that money into making a combo or bd player.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If nothing else, it will at least make sure a high number of consumers are aware that Blu-ray isn't the only way to get HD movies. That alone should lead to questions about what each one does, how they're priced....a public debate about the two HD disc offerings can't hurt and could help HD DVD.

Also if they point out what an HD DVD player can do for existing DVDs as well as play HD DVDs available in stores now, they could pull over some folks looking to pick up another DVD player.

·
Registered
607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue /forum/post/12957383

The majority of HDTV's (3.9 million estimated for this year) are sold leading up to the Super Bowl, not after it.

This is simply a waste of 2.3 million dollars by Toshiba.

Not that I want to give Toshiba any ideas, but that wouldn't be a bad angle for an ad..

Announcer: "Football season is over"

(shots of forlorn fans staring at static on their new HDTVs)

Announcer: "what are you going to watch on your new HDTV now?"

(show fan buying an HD DVD player - watching some jaw-dropping EFX movies, Bourne, Transformers - going into excitement overload)

Announcer: "HD DVD, now only $149. Keep your HDTV busy through the off season".. etc.

Nah, it'll probably just be the Shrek commercial again.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Damn... Toshiba wins. Congrats HD-DVD guys.

Time to sell my Blu ray player... oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Chances are this ad was paid for well in advance of the announcement by Warner Brothers. You don't go to the network and ask for a timeslot with one month to go before the game unless somebody wasn't doing thier job.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Even if this gets people into a Best Buy, once they start asking questions, they'll learn the facts and may not be that interested in buying the losing format. That's when the only one CE manufacturer, only two studios, etc. factors will kick in. And haven't people been seeing Blu-Ray ads throughout the playoffs?

My guess is that it won't matter. And it better be good if its going to be played between Bud and other big-ticket commercials.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw the BluRay ad last week and I really like it. It was shown like 5 times. Hopefully, HDDVD will show it many times as well. Showing an ad multiple times is the only way to really plant a seed to someone.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
Biggest advertising play of the year, with massive reach.

SuperBowl advertising itself is one of the last watercolor group watching events and the commercials are topics of conversation.

As a minimum, it will be announcement that HD DVD is alive and will bring attention to its availability and may bring attention to the current price points and value.

Its a signal that Toshiba and HD DVD will continue to fight and sell hardware, which may be an important decision factor for concerned parties.

Interesting.

Do we know what the commercial will be?

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.