AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which Looney Tunes Collection is the best as far a PQ and AQ?. I would like to collect all the episodes that I can but there are so many versions, that I'm not sure where to start. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
85 Posts
given the sheer breadth of cartoons released, there won't be one "defacto" set, but i'd be interested in this as well

there's a 6 volume DVD set titled the "Golden Collection" on Amazon it seems, Wiki gives a breakdown to the set

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I wouldn't count on any exceptional sound quality. Even in the Golden Collections (I have five of them), the audio was not touched and remains in the original mono. And keep in mind that although the video was cleaned up, they remain in the original 4:3. Be kind, do not stretch.

I guess if you were so inclined you might find a recording or two of orchestras that re-recorded some of the original soundtracks and make your own. I know I've seen this at Wolf Trap in Wash, DC. They showed the cartoons while the orchestra on stage played the music. I remember them showing A Froggy Day, the one with the Tenor that I can't remember the name of right now ("Leopold! Leopold!" and "Of course you know, this means WAR!"), the Barber of Seville take off and the all time classic What's Opera Doc ("KILL the Wabbit!").

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I have a few of the Golden Collections and are pretty happy with them.

Although it would be nice if they'd have cleaned up the audio a bit, but it's not like it's horrible or anything. Daffy blowing his face off with a shotgun is still hilarious (well, more hilarious than that particular sentence sounds)

If you're looking for the best versions available today, then the Golden Collections are currently it. Looks like you can get all 6 volumes for $113 , which isn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys, I thought the Golden collection might be the one that looked the best and mono is fine by me, as I'm hoping they look and sound as good as the Perry Mason series.

I'll check out Amazon and Ebay and see what they've got..

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/19613459

I have a few of the Golden Collections and are pretty happy with them.

Although it would be nice if they'd have cleaned up the audio a bit, but it's not like it's horrible or anything. Daffy blowing his face off with a shotgun is still hilarious (well, more hilarious than that particular sentence sounds)

If you're looking for the best versions available today, then the Golden Collections are currently it. Looks like you can get all 6 volumes for $113 , which isn't that bad.

mproper, it's the Spotlight Collection that's $113 the Golden Collection is around $300 and that's such a huge difference in price that I wonder what difference is in collection episodes..I gotta do some checking. Thanks though as this is what I'm questioning before I jump in.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
For obvious reasons, many of the better cartoons were spread out across multiple Golden collection sets, meaning of course you 'need' to buy them all to get all the really good, well known shorts. I bought the first 2 collections upon release years ago at then pricing of $50 each, haven't looked at the pricing recently for the more recent sets. I wouldn't mind a definitive bluray set with everything, but I'm sure they'll milk all the good cartoons across several sets as before.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco /forum/post/19613996

mproper, it's the Spotlight Collection that's $113 the Golden Collection is around $300 and that's such a huge difference in price that I wonder what difference is in collection episodes..I gotta do some checking. Thanks though as this is what I'm questioning before I jump in.

D'oh...you're right. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/19614078

D'oh...you're right. Sorry about that.

It's ok, it led me to deeper research and I found out the Spotlight series doesn't have as many episodes and the Golden and the Golden's video was digitally remastered and has extras. It's the most complete collection, although there was one called..something something Super Stars released earlier this year, that had additional episodes, the Golden will suffice.

I found the it at almost half price that Amazon was asking so I'm going for that.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have all of the Golden collection sets (and supposedly there are to be no more), and let me tell you, they are all good. The cartoons all look great (unlike that one Donald Duck silver-case from Disney), and though you may get stuck with too many of the old Ising cartoons on one set or too many Speedy Gonzaleses on another, it all evens out.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/19614750

I'm hoping they do a full Blu-Ray of Looney Tunes one of these days.

Day one buy if they do that. 33 and can watch these over and over again. Great thing is my 11 year old son is into them too. The classics never die...

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
I've said this before: Looney Tunes, Hanna Barbara, Tex Avery and other classics are just fine for me on DVD; I won't need to upgrade to Blu-ray. But (3D) stuff from Pixar, Dreamworks and others MUST be seen in HD.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

Quote:
Are the old "Merry Melodies" available, too?

There are many of those mixed in. The "I guess Baby will just have to have a ham sandwich instead" is in one of Golden Collections somewhere.

Also, the Honeymooners and Jack Benny takeoffs with the mice and The Defiant Ones takeoff.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 /forum/post/19626820

There are many of those mixed in. The "I guess Baby will just have to have a ham sandwich instead" is in one of Golden Collections somewhere.

Also, the Honeymooners and Jack Benny takeoffs with the mice and The Defiant Ones takeoff.

That's awesome!! I hope they have the Edward G Robinson take off on "mouse knuckles" too!

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
How about "Racketeer Rabbit"? That's probably my all-time favorite Bugs one (with Edward G. as "Rocky" and Peter Lorre as "Hugo").

"Would I do this if my pal Rocky was in there?"...."Mmmmm....you might, rabbit, you might".

"It's coytins fer you, Rocky - coytins!"...."Aw....they're adorable".

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just received the Golden Collection in the mail today and I'm glad I took the plunge!!. It's a great looking set and even the pictures on the sleeves are making me laugh..I mean really, Porky Pig in a Can-Can dress with big red lips and a headress
...Thanks to all, it'll make a wonderful Christmas present for my wife..and me

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.