AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Ive been discussing this in a Marantz thread, but I wanted to bring it to a larger audience to get some help.

I recently added 2 atmos overhead speakers to my 7.2 setup. My 7 speakers (all JTR) are being powered by Emotiva XPR amps, and my atmos speakers (RSL) are being powered by a Crown 1500. The crown is plugged into a Panamax PC, and the Emotiva's each have a dedicated 20amp outlet. All speakers use XLR cables, and my processor is a Marantz 8802A.

As soon as I attach my 2nd XLR cable from my Crown into my Marantz, I hear what I can describe as a record player type sound, similar to what you would hear once a disc has ended. It just goes on a loop. Its not a buzz or hum.

I've tried swapping out the power cord to the Crown (didnt change anything). I also tried plugging the Crown into a 20amp outlet that my emotiva shared (sound turned into a buzz).

Can someone please help. I havent been able to use my theater since this sound is clearly audible during movies. :eek:

Thank you!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
should i maybe try hooking up my atmos speakers via RCA instead of XLR?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Has this amp been used in this sytem previously, or in another system previously? You might try unbalanced, one thing to eliminate.

How do you like those XPR's? Those are some massive amps.

·
Registered
939 Posts
have you tried a different xlr cable? it could be a shielding issue

is this one bundled with power or coiled up?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has this amp been used in this sytem previously, or in another system previously? You might try unbalanced, one thing to eliminate.

How do you like those XPR's? Those are some massive amps.

It is in fact a used amp, bought from another member on here.

I do like my XPR's. I've considered selling them since they are overkill for my JTRs, but havent been able to let them go yet.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you tried a different xlr cable? it could be a shielding issue

is this one bundled with power or coiled up?

I will try another XLR tonight.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Make sure the amp is not in bridged mode. Try disconnecting all the other amplifiers to see if that helps, or try a cheater plug on the Crown to temporarily lift the safety ground. You could also lift the ground (shield) at one end of the XLRs going to the Crown to see if that helps. Or put the Crown into another system just to make sure it is not the amplifier itself.

HTH - Don

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
last night i tried different XLR cables - no luck. Also tried to make sure the speaker wires in the ceiling werent passing too close to the pot light above.

still looking for solution unfortunately

tonight i'm going to power my L and R speakers with the crown and see if I hear anything.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Have you used the crown amp before, you said this was used. Has it been tested and worked in your system previously? Does Unbalanced work?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you used the crown amp before, you said this was used. Has it been tested and worked in your system previously? Does Unbalanced work?

in my system - no. I bought it used on here.

The inputs do in fact work, as i do not hear any looping sounds from the actual atmos speakers themselves, and they work properly. its the other speakers that get affected.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm a little confused.
1. Do unbalanced interconnect connections off the crown fix the problem?
2. Does the problem sound comes from all your speakers or just the ones connected to the crown?
3. Have you swapped ex. front left XLR on input of marantz over to the XLR input on the marantz for your atmos input?

It seems like a problem with the crown from what's been mentioned above, or the XLR input or output. I've never ran a balancd system, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a little confused.
1. Do unbalanced interconnect connections off the crown fix the problem?
2. Does the problem sound comes from all your speakers or just the ones connected to the crown?
3. Have you swapped ex. front left XLR on input of marantz over to the XLR input on the marantz for your atmos input?

It seems like a problem with the crown from what's been mentioned above, or the XLR input or output. I've never ran a balancd system, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

1. I havent tried any unbalanced connections yet.
2. The sound comes from all 7 speakers that are connected to my Emotiva amps. The atmos speakers connected to the Crown are dead silent. this is why im so lost on what to do.
3. i will try powering my atmos with the emotivas and see if the sound persists. if thats the case, it would seem the crown is the problem.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just want to clarify - the sound i hear is definitely not a hum or a buzz. the best way i can describe it is this record player noise on a loop. i DO get a buzz/hum when i plug my Crown into the same outlet that my Emotivas are on... which is much worse. When the Crown is unplugged, everything is dead silent. When its plugged in, it doesnt matter what volume my Marantz is set to- the sound is consistent.

furthermore- the sound i hear is coming out of the 7 JTR speakers in my setup... NOT the atmos ones hooked up to my Crown. This is what confuses me. I havent been able to find a solution anywhere in the forums yet.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
just want to clarify - the sound i hear is definitely not a hum or a buzz. the best way i can describe it is this record player noise on a loop. i DO get a buzz/hum when i plug my Crown into the same outlet that my Emotivas are on... which is much worse. When the Crown is unplugged, everything is dead silent. When its plugged in, it doesnt matter what volume my Marantz is set to- the sound is consistent.

furthermore- the sound i hear is coming out of the 7 JTR speakers in my setup... NOT the atmos ones hooked up to my Crown. This is what confuses me. I havent been able to find a solution anywhere in the forums yet.

I used to have a buzzing sound coming out of my JTR speakers as well. I am using Emotiva Gen2 Amps. I fixed it to a great extent using the Jensen CI-2RR transformers. I used 3 transformers and the channels that go through the transformers are dead silent.
The transformers minimally change the frequency response (-0.5db at 20khz) which is easily compensated for by eq. Something to try if you ran out of options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts