AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I'm not sure wether this question should be asked here or in the audiophile part of this forum.)

Ok. I've had some bad experiences with a movie called Lort of the Rings.

Does anyone know;

Is the DD or DTS soundtrack of the 'LOTR extended edition' R1 DVD altered in any way from the theatrical version? Normalized, compressed or anything!?

Background:

This 'LOTR Fellowship of the ring' R1 DVD is IMPOSSIBLE to listen to at reference level. It sounds MUCH louder than any other DVD I've ever heard and I can't remember the theater version sounding this way.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The first release of FotR was released about 5 db "hot" or louder than than it should have been. The EE release was fixed in that respect.

There were quite a few posts back when the DVDs were released. A search on this forum would yield quite a few threads on the subject.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
The first release of FotR was released about 5 db "hot" or louder than than it should have been.
Does anyone know how this could have happend? I mean, when mastering a DVD, isn't the original movie soundtrack just copied onto the DVD?

5dB louder I think would not be enough. I would say my EE DVD is about 8 or 9 dB louder the it should be. (Based on the fact that I have to turn down the volume about 8dB to be able to stay in the room!) Who made the comparison to the theatrical release to come up with the 5dB numbers?

Quote:
The EE release was fixed in that respect.
No, it wasn't .. Or atleast my Extended Edition STILL is to loud.

Ok, I'm not sure what's wrong but it got to be something, because my DVD is NOT possible to listen to a reference levels (by a great margin too!) while any other DVD movie I own is!

Quote:
There were quite a few posts back when the DVDs were released. A search on this forum would yield quite a few threads on the subject.
I could not find any of them. Do you know where exactly to look for them? I would be happy to find and read them.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Do a search on this.... I remember someone even quoted the audio engineer from micasa (the mastering studio) that did the mix.

They also compressed the dynamic range on the theatrical release. what a shame.

Kal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.