AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see any official threads about this game on here and it released today. A few of my friends were telling me about this game and how it looks like a lot of fun to play on multiplayer. The few reviews I was able to find from searching the net are mostly negative.


Did any fellow AVSers pick this game up? Can someone provide some thoughts about the game?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
I have been keeping my eye on this one, I downloaded the demo and it seemed fun. The biggest critisisms are that people were 'promised' 4 player co-op and the game only delivers 2 player co-op. A big deal for many. At the end it carries the LotR name so it may sell OK, but I wonder if it is to generic gameplay. The reviews are in the 7's. Thus to me, not worth $60, but when it hits $10-15 (like Conan and Vikings) it will be a buy. At the end, if the multiplayer takes of (16 player with ? bots that were promised but? not delivered) then I may get it sooner ($30) but it does not seem so (so far).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Ever play Star Wars Battlefront? Because this is Lord of the Rings Battlefront, plain and simple. I highly recommend you and your friends download the demo and give it a shot first to see if you have any interest in it. Personally I thought it sucked. There's simply to many character/gameplay types and the controls are way to complex for each to make a compelling multiplayer experience. The maps are fairly dull, uninspired, and not very well balanced as well. My biggest problem though is why does my character die when he touches water? Seriously I step in a stream and my character just drops dead. We're not talking a giant river I fell in and drowned either. I simply tried to walk across an ankle deep stream and my character just kind of dropped dead. That's poor game design on a basic level, imagine what else the game does wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Very disapppointed with the demo I had such high hopes for this one too but yeah it seemed I guess just so blah and not very exciting at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I played the demo and was not impressed; this title is mediocre at best. The balance is completely off, the maps are poorly designed, animations aren't fluid, controls are clunky, and every thing just lacks any sense of polish. I actually enjoyed Battlefront a lot, and though I didn't follow this game at all, I thought it may have some chance of success. Apparently I was wrong.


That is my opinion however, and your impressions may be quite the opposite. As suggested, grab the demo before you spend the cash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Eh, I dig it..bought it with a gift card I had laying around,and it is fun.

Almost all the servers are at capacity atm,so it must be doing alright.


So far Hero deathmatch and Capture the ring are my favorite.



I'm not understanding the Controlers are to complex argument,they seem pretty easy to me...

Best way I can describe it is a very simplified version of World of Warcraft battlegrounds where there is only 4 classes,and everyone has the same gear. You have about 3 different cool down skills and some special abilities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,157 Posts
I have the demo d/l and was on the verge of deleting it...I think I'll give the demo a try first. Thanks for thwe somewhat positive comments
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Column /forum/post/15559421


Eh, I dig it..bought it with a gift card I had laying around,and it is fun.

Almost all the servers are at capacity atm,so it must be doing alright.


So far Hero deathmatch and Capture the ring are my favorite.



I'm not understanding the Controlers are to complex argument,they seem pretty easy to me...

Best way I can describe it is a very simplified version of World of Warcraft battlegrounds where there is only 4 classes,and everyone has the same gear. You have about 3 different cool down skills and some special abilities.

Personally I think a good multiplayer experience should have a simple control scheme that you fully understand within the first 10 minutes of playing. Conquest does not. Every class plays dramatically differently and every class has it's own set of complicated combo attacks, it's just not simple or fluid. It's not easy to jump from class to class since you have to memorize how to play each and every one and each and every one has it's own set of controls and combo moves.


Also again, why the **** does an ankle deep stream murder my mighty warrior?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/15562654


Personally I think a good multiplayer experience should have a simple control scheme that you fully understand within the first 10 minutes of playing. Conquest does not. Every class plays dramatically differently and every class has it's own set of complicated combo attacks, it's just not simple or fluid. It's not easy to jump from class to class since you have to memorize how to play each and every one and each and every one has it's own set of controls and combo moves.


Also again, why the **** does an ankle deep stream murder my mighty warrior?

I guess they figured you played WoW in your lifetime,because it is similar to that.


The 4 classes are really simplistic,and most can pick em up in about an hour or so. Hell if my 8 year old nephew can grasp it can't see it as a huge problem. I would just learn one class at a time.If anything that should be a plus.


Quote:
Also again, why the **** does an ankle deep stream murder my mighty warrior

Pretty obvious why they have it set up like that in the shire. They want the opposing team to go across the bridge to make a bottleneck,just like on the other side there is any alleyway to go through.


Otherwise they would have to get rid of that island complety. Good design? probly not,but it looks pretty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGeorge34 /forum/post/15563193


A couple reviews are out and they aren't teriffic, on either platform.

Yeah I saw one that is like 2 out of 10. I had to giggle.


Never trust reviews... try out the demo,and make the decision for yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Column /forum/post/15564717


I guess they figured you played WoW in your lifetime,because it is similar to that.


The 4 classes are really simplistic,and most can pick em up in about an hour or so. Hell if my 8 year old nephew can grasp it can't see it as a huge problem. I would just learn one class at a time.If anything that should be a plus.

Still doesn't matter, it's got the same problem Metal Gear Online does in that there's just too much going on in the controls. It's not simple and a good multiplayer game should be easy to pick up and play whether it's the first time you're playing it, you've been playing it forever, or if you're coming back to it for the first time in years. I'm not saying it's hard to learn the controls with an hour of practice I'm saying I should be able to look at the button layout and jump right in and that's simply not the case. There's absolutely no need of that, team based multiplayer games like this should be relatively pick up and play and instant to figure out how the controls work and months off your life becoming ridiculously good at it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Column /forum/post/15564717




Pretty obvious why they have it set up like that in the shire. They want the opposing team to go across the bridge to make a bottleneck,just like on the other side there is any alleyway to go through.


Otherwise they would have to get rid of that island complety. Good design? probly not,but it looks pretty

I get why they did but it's still terrible design. Put a fence up, make it a 10 foot sheer drop with a river flowing at the bottom, I don't really care but don't try to tell me I can't walk through 6 inches of water. Also I'd hardly say it's pretty, I personally think technically and artistically the game looks pretty blah.


To each his own though. If you like, enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,157 Posts
well tried the demo...and it just kinda stopped there. I only buy the games that I feel are really good or that I really like so I'm passing on this one.


I did like some of the special moves when in battle but it was just kinda meh
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd /forum/post/15611092


well tried the demo...and it just kinda stopped there. I only buy the games that I feel are really good or that I really like so I'm passing on this one.


I did like some of the special moves when in battle but it was just kinda meh

so that's sorta like playing the Tales of Vesperia demo (which sucks) and deciding not to buy the game (which rules) based off the demo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
It must be doing well because the servers are constantly packed,and it is on the top of the gamefaqs boards.


I still like the game. Theres a bunch of hidden stuff I've yet to figure out like the Special Hero abilities.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top