AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my copy of the platinum 4-hour super extendo-matic version of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings and I started watching it two nights ago. I enjoyed the movie, but there's another whole thread for that. For this thread, I want to talk about progressive scan decoding. I found the deinterlacing support of my gear to be really mucking things up, and I was wondering if anybody else saw similar behavior.

My relevant gear here is a Panasonic DVD RP-56 (with the fancy Sage/Faroudja chipset that discriminating hifi nuts seem to prefer) connected to a Hitachi HDTV 43UWX10B (vintage late 2001) that has its own built-in deinterlacer of unknown provenance.

The problem is best demonstrated just after Bilbo puts on the ring to escape from his eleventeenth birthday party. There's a scene where the invisible Bilbo goes through a gate and up the stairs, with the camera panning down, right, and up. With either the DVD or TV's deinterlacer active, the results were very jerky (I guess this is what they call 'juddering', but I'm not certain of it). Disabling both deinterlacers, the results were smooth as silk. (This scene is seconds after a chapter mark, so it should be easy for other folks to find.)

Any thoughts on this? I generally have to disable the TV's deinterlacer when watching anything on the TiVo because I get horrible combing. Normally, the DVD's deinterlacer works pretty damn good, but this time, with the weird panning, it just crapped out. Are newer deinterlacers any smarter? Is there some mysterious hidden setting somewhere I can tweak to improve things?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I watched it using my HTPC - silky smooth. So I can't say its the disk nor has there been any other complaints about this one.

Is it just this movie that bothers your equipment, or has hardware crapped out somewhere in your system?

- Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just this movie, so far. Other movies play fine. Just for this one, I find it better to disable the 'progressive out.'

·
Registered
564 Posts
I watched it last night. I don't remember exactly where, but I noticed a few delays that seemed like a layer change in places I don't think there would be a layer change. Is that what "juddering" looks like?

My equipment: RP62, AE200

--Burke

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mainly silky smooth on my HTPC, and the best-looking DVD I have ever seen.

However, one or two juddery moments - I suspect this is because this is (I think) the highest bitrate DVD out there - someone said 10Mbit/s - and it is maxing out my poor old 700MHz machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.