AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>> "We're going quietly into this season," Michaels says. "The election is enough." He hasn't made any major cosmetic changes, like a new set, but that will come a year from now when Studio 8-H, and "SNL," are converted to HDTV

·
Registered
796 Posts
Off topic but I don't think it's been good for almost 10 years. Of course I date myself saying so but the best years were the first 10; belushi, aykroyd and murray, gilda, etc.

Regards,

GoIrish

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Washington Post web site doesn't require a subscription, just a free registration. I would be glad to post the entire article except only that one sentence refers to HD. The rest of Tom Shales' article is a review of the history of SNL and comments by Lorne Michaels unrelated to HD.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Nice to hear, but I can't stand this show anymore. Not since the Sandler, Farley, etc era.

I loath Chris Catane (sp?), Jimmy Fallon, and the rest of those hacks like them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Fallon recently left, IIRC.

Anyway, not that I'm a big fan, but Last Call also records from 8-H, doesn't it? Does this mean anything? Furthermore, if they were HD-ready, I'd expect Late Night (with Conan) to be ready to go by or before then, naturally...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Since he made it public.... Construction will start in the Spring and hopefully finish by the time the season starts in Fall '05. Yes, Last Call tapes in 8H.

Conan is waiting for an editing suite that is acceptable to them. Probably an Avid Nitris DS but were looking at a Sony demo set up down the hall from me.

GT

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GoIrish
Off topic but I don't think it's been good for almost 10 years. Of course I date myself saying so but the best years were the first 10; belushi, aykroyd and murray, gilda, etc.

Regards,

GoIrish
And Thank You, Captain Obvious... Should be good to have another show in HD. There are still some sketches that border in funny.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan420
Well the funniest thing on SNL in years happened last night when Ashlee Simpson got caught lip syncing
Yeah, I watched a little of her reality show and saw she couldn't sing. She records one line at a time over and over until she gets it right. So I was surprised that her first song sounded pretty good last night and suspected that she might be lip syncing.

http://www.angrycountry.com/stories/294.html

·
Registered
939 Posts
The political satire is still top shelf - Darrell Hammond and the guy who does Bush (forgot his name) are great. HD can only make it better.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It is SO SAD that SNL continues to be a self parody of its heyday '75-'83. Once upon a time they hit everyone, the right, the left, the center, boomers, clebs, et al.

SNL in the last 18 years is so left aggrandizing and right bashing, and so mired in rehashing the same tired characters again and again and again, HD can only act as a further nail in the coffin of this ZOMBIE SHOW.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan420
Well the funniest thing on SNL in years happened last night when Ashlee Simpson got caught lip syncing

http://www.drunxor.com/d/ashlee.htm
She actually performed on [email protected], they still have the clip if you go to their website or through AOL. It is not nearly as good (especially the big "OOOOOOh" in "Pieces of Me" becomes "Oh" because she can't sing a high note).

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
George Thompson, what other shows tape in the studio and will they be HD? The only other show I know of there is The Jane Pauley Show, which might not make it to season two.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonedeaf
And Thank You, Captain Obvious... Should be good to have another show in HD. There are still some sketches that border in funny.
Somebody pee in your cornflakes today ?

A number of our brethren never saw these years and don't know it was once good or at least better (imho) than recent years.

GoIrish

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
I'm surprised they'd want to do this show in HD. They already have enough trouble keeping equipment and crew out of the shots in 4:3. HD can only make that more difficult. Plus the sets, costumes and makeup will probably have to improve because they already look cheap. I guess that's due to the time constraints of a live show.

Maybe they'll just put HD off year after year like Letterman has.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
How many weekly live shows are you comparing the cheap look of SNL to?

Jane Pauly is in 8G. A common equipment room may hasten the upgrade in that studio too.

GT

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.