AVS Forum banner

6701 - 6720 of 11029 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Strange. I see KCET, KTBN, and KLCS on cable. With an antenna, only KTBN is missing. With this rainy weather, KVMD 31.1 has never come in stronger as my CECB shows a signal strength of 66%. Usually, there is no signal or at most 3% during the few times the channel does appear.

·
Registered
165 Posts
kcet and klcs back on for me in OC. ION,TBN is gone.

while on that subject, i nver watch ION, it seems to be only reruns of ghost whisperer/criminal minds and the feed has lots of pixelation due to 1080i/30

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal981 /forum/post/17978676

Lot of ch down here in los angeles county tbn all down ion all down kcet all down koce down also .

I can see strong/normal signals on KPXN/38 and KOCE/48 with the analyzer, but nothing is decoding.

28, 33 & 41 are still flatline.

Nothing on the websites that I can find and I can't get anyone on the phone yet (still after hours).

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I wonder if the power is off up there. Edison's main high-voltage power line was taken out by the station fire and they've all been relying on the backup. If it goes out (and they were expecting it to), stations with no generator or insufficient fuel are SOL.

In addition to the trouble described by Falcon_77, I'm still missing KLAU-LP (analog 45) and KNLA-LD (20), although the latter might just be due to rain fade. The analog LPs on 57 and 67 were out for a while last night, but have returned to entertain millions. I mean dozens.

In a bizarre and frightening reversal which might be a sign of the apocalypse, KFLA-LD (8) is still on, although 8-3 is blank, 8-5 is audio only and 8-1 is just showing the DirectTV "No signal" indicator.

Come to think of it, that's pretty much par for the course, isn't it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would speculate that the power outage for broadcasters is on Mt. Harvard and not Mt. Wilson that began on the evening of Jan-21st. Some facilities have the bucks for generators that start automatically, others have them, but need human intervention.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbanderradio /forum/post/17979545

I would speculate that the power outage for broadcasters is on Mt. Harvard and not Mt. Wilson that began on the evening of Jan-21st. Some facilities have the bucks for generators that start automatically, others have them, but need human intervention.

It seems that most of the affected stations, with the exception of KPXN and KOCE, are instead on the eastern portion of Mt. Wilson, and so it seems likely that the power outage was there. So are KTTV and KCOP, but they managed to stay on the air, and they came in solid here even during the rain storm, unlike some of the UHF stations.

It is the east Mt. Wilson UHF stations that normally give the most trouble, and so when they all went down, I thought at first that it might have just been poor recption due to the rain.

Anyway, I see that only KPXN is still down, now.

·
Registered
593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud /forum/post/17978948

I wonder if the power is off up there. Edison's main high-voltage power line was taken out by the station fire and they've all been relying on the backup. If it goes out (and they were expecting it to), stations with no generator or insufficient fuel are SOL. ...

Actually the 33 kV line taken out by the Station Fire last year was the back-up line to Mt. Wilson, the main line is a 16 KV one which survived the fire and is the one still in use. Beyond that however local facility backup generators would be needed until the backup 33 kV supply line is rebuilt.

From the CGC communicator 11-16-09:

BACKUP POWER LINE REPAIR - SECOND HALF OF 2010 AT EARLIEST

According to Steven Conroy, Manager of Media Relations for

Southern California Edison (SCE):

SCE's assessment of the Station Fire's damage to the

"Broadcast 33 kV line" providing backup utility power to

Mts. Harvard and Wilson is complete. The conclusion: The

line "pretty much has to be completely rebuilt."

There are a number of things that must be done before

work can get underway: Obtaining Forest Service permits,

resolving environmental issues (e.g. animal habitat) and

securing access to critical areas.

Restoration of service is not expected before the

second half of 2010 at the earliest.

[CGC telcon with Steven Conroy November 12, 2009]
http://www.bext.com/_CGC/2009/cgc961.htm .

Additional info. from CGCC 12-21-09:

RECONSTRUCTION OF THE MT. WILSON BACKUP POWER FEED

Southern California Edison (SCE) has announced its plan

to rebuild the backup power feed to Mt. Wilson -- the feed that

was destroyed by the Station Fire. SCE will use the same route

as before but employ lightweight steel poles that are somewhat

taller than the old wooden poles. Some 234 poles will be required

in all with 64 set from the ground and the rest by helicopter.

The target completion date is "2010" but potential delays could

occur particularly from the Forest Service which must review and

approve of the reconstruction plan.

News source: SCE pps slide show dated December 16, 2009.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Deserve an Emmy on the broadcast engineering side of the house, and on the news side of the house if they kept the public informed during these storms. This is the Broadcast Olympics version to see what these stations are made of.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Was weak last night at 8:00PM but fiddling my indoor, amplified antenna got it to come in. By 10:00PM could not get it at all, and still cannot get it through noon today. Bummer.

(I'm in the shadow of one tall building, with multipath from others, but have been doing OK for months, until now)

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosekaka /forum/post/17978099

while on that subject, i nver watch ION, it seems to be only reruns of ghost whisperer/criminal minds and the feed has lots of pixelation due to 1080i/30

I was watching ghost whisperer last night when the show went blank. This is the only show I watch on ION and have been noticing this pixelation for some time. I thought it was some kind of interference, as the signal strength remains strong. For a non techie like me, can you clarify what causes this?

·
Registered
593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodethis /forum/post/17981479

Was weak last night at 8:00PM but fiddling my indoor, amplified antenna got it to come in. By 10:00PM could not get it at all, and still cannot get it through noon today. Bummer.

(I'm in the shadow of one tall building, with multipath from others, but have been doing OK for months, until now)

Just out of curiosity.

In the meantime can you receive their new SD feed on 11-2 which is actually coming from channel 13?

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-rdx /forum/post/17981574

I was watching ghost whisperer last night when the show went blank. This is the only show I watch on ION and have been noticing this pixelation for some time. I thought it was some kind of interference, as the signal strength remains strong. For a non techie like me, can you clarify what causes this?

i may be wrong, but on CBS and NBC, they broadcast in 1080i/60 frames per sec while ION has half that frame rate. i notice the pixelation a lot when the scenes pan or move, might be due to this lack of frames results in glitchy scene transitions....not sure need someone better informed on this.

·
Registered
593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosekaka /forum/post/17981731

i may be wrong, but on CBS and NBC, they broadcast in 1080i/60 frames per sec while ION has half that frame rate. i notice the pixelation a lot when the scenes pan or move, might be due to this lack of frames results in glitchy scene transitions....not sure need someone better informed on this.

The "60" in 1080i/60 refers to 60 (interlaced) fields per second which is equivalent to 30 frames per second.

Also KPXN/ION-30 OTA just came back up, and its actually broadcasting in 720P format.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII /forum/post/17981625

Just out of curiosity.

In the meantime can you receive their new SD feed on 11-2 which is actually coming from channel 13?

I dunno, have to rescan. And my Sony tv still reports 13 as 13.3!

Right now, 11.1 is back, but weak. 13.3 (!?) still reports "no signal". Keying in 11.2 gets no results, but I guess that's expected until I rescan.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodethis /forum/post/17983414

I dunno, have to rescan. And my Sony tv still reports 13 as 13.3!

Right now, 11.1 is back, but weak. 13.3 (!?) still reports "no signal". Keying in 11.2 gets no results, but I guess that's expected until I rescan.

Try keying in 13-2. It should map over to 11-2.

6701 - 6720 of 11029 Posts