AVS Forum banner

11001 - 11020 of 11042 Posts

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
KSCI and KOCE coming in fine for me here in North Hollywood.

I am having an interesting glitch, though - every couple of days my TiVo Roamio gives me the same message, informing me that Channel 35 has moved to Channel 35-10 KTAVDT10. Is this station glitching and sending out a weird signal, or is this a TiVo bug?
I'm getting the message too, they just really want you to know. When more stations were changing frequencies there were more messages.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hey Tripp ...

You can change the AR for thisTV on KDOC 56-6 to 4:3 on rabbitears now ....

As the network has apparently given up on widescreen SD, and returned to broadcasting in 4:3 center-cut or 16:9 letterbox as they did when they were on KTLA 5-3.

Guess it's just as well since they were formally doing stretch-o-vision into 16:9 SD anyway. Which looked horrible ....

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Request for help and guidance in buying an outdoor antenna

Hello,

Trust all of you are doing well.

We are in the midst of buying an outdoor antenna and requesting your guidance in buying an outdoor antenna to be installed at the wooden eaves. We live in San Dimas, California and from our backyard, we can see Mount Wilson and the transmitters and it's straight line of sight. Please take a moment to review the enclosed Rabbitears link. The crow fly distance is 20 miles or so.

We are only interested in the local network ABC, CBS, NBC, KCAL, Fox, PBS channels. We do not watch too much television and are primarily interested in watching the aforementioned channels.

It appears we will need to buy High VHF and UHF antenna.

We are requesting your guidance which outdoor antenna to buy. We live in an HOA community and thus would not like to install a huge outdoor antenna.

This is the first time, I am posting so please consider being kind. My intent and desire is not to hijack this thread. I do not know how to post and feeling a bit nervous posting this.

Thanks for your understanding.

Ps. I tried my best to follow Doc's, Doug Swallow and CPanther95 expectations in posting this "post". And, I may be making a mistake in posting this "post" for help and guidance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The enclosed attachment is for post number 11003
Post Name is Request for help and guidance in buying an outdoor antenna
Post Member name is San Dimas.

Since I am new member and can not post a link. Please find enclosed an attached file for the survey results from Rabbitear for the location.

Thank you for your understanding.

San Dimas

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts

Since I am new member and can not post a link. Please find enclosed an attached file for the survey results from Rabbitear for the location.

San Dimas
I would recommend a ChannelMaster 100. It is large, but not too large. You should be able to receive KCET and KOCE from Mt. Wilson, plus KVCR from about 60 miles away in Riverside County. It is a PBS station (virtual 24, radio frequency 5), so you would need a low-vhf antenna to receive that channel. The Channelmaster 100 will receive everything from low vhf to the top of the uhf spectrum.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would recommend a ChannelMaster 100. It is large, but not too large. You should be able to receive KCET and KOCE from Mt. Wilson, plus KVCR from about 60 miles away in Riverside County. It is a PBS station (virtual 24, radio frequency 5), so you would need a low-vhf antenna to receive that channel. The Channelmaster 100 will receive everything from low vhf to the top of the uhf spectrum.

Looks like he wants to install it on his wooden eves, so the CM 100 probably isn't going to work off a j-pole on the eve.

To be honest, within sight and only 20 miles from the broadcast towers, and only wanting the major networks from Mt. Wilson, I would go with something fast and easy like the CM Stealthtenna for $29. High VHF gain is only 3db, but I think that would be sufficient for ABC and FOX (channels 7 and 11).

I'm 63 miles away up in Ventura County, with a 5db gain VHF antenna (the CM 4228) and I get some reception issues due to my 2 edge signals, but that close - he can go much, much smaller.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks like he wants to install it on his wooden eves, so the CM 100 probably isn't going to work off a j-pole on the eve.

To be honest, within sight and only 20 miles from the broadcast towers, and only wanting the major networks from Mt. Wilson, I would go with something fast and easy like the CM Stealthtenna for $29. High VHF gain is only 3db, but I think that would be sufficient for ABC and FOX (channels 7 and 11).

I'm 63 miles away up in Ventura County, with a 5db gain VHF antenna (the CM 4228) and I get some reception issues due to my 2 edge signals, but that close - he can go much, much smaller.
Are you picking up Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo as well as Los Angeles?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

That antenna has some stout claims for as few elements that it has... but notice they also offer a bundle with an amplifier.
If it works for San Dimas' location what a deal.

San Dimas does your home have an attic?
Close as you are you might try a larger antenna inside the attic.
I had good luck with a double bow-tie uhf antenna in the attic; until broadcasters went back to vhf.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

San Dimas
I live in the San Fernando Valley, slightly further from Mt. Wilson than you, also with line of sight. I'm happy with my Antennas Direct ClearStream.

Link.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For post number 11003

Dear Sted: Thank you for suggesting Channel Master 100. I appreciate you taking the time to provide your guidence. I belive Channel Master 100 would be too big as I plan to put it on the Wooden Eaves. Once again, thank you.

Dear fshagan: Thank you for suggesting CM Stealth Antenna and sharing your the CM 4228 Antenna. Much appreciated for your gift of time to me and my family. CM 4228 is pretty impressive.

Dear Teeps: Thank you for your thoughts and responding to my post. Yes, my home does have an attic but I am afraid to go into the attic. I want to put my new antenna on the wooden eaves and then pull the wire through the wall next to our 1 TV.

Dear dschulz: Thank you for taking the time to suggest Clear Stream 2 Max. I noticed the antenna does not have the back grill and some Clear Stream Max 2 have the grill. The one you suggested does not have the back grill. Does it matter. Thank you again for suggesting the Clear Stream Max 2 and taking the time to provide your guidance.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom and thoughts and helping me choose a good antenna for my family...

Warm Regards,

San Dimas
For post number 11003

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Dear dschulz: Thank you for taking the time to suggest Clear Stream 2 Max. I noticed the antenna does not have the back grill and some Clear Stream Max 2 have the grill. The one you suggested does not have the back grill. Does it matter. Thank you again for suggesting the Clear Stream Max 2 and taking the time to provide your guidance.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom and thoughts and helping me choose a good antenna for my family...

Warm Regards,

San Dimas
For post number 11003
Since all the channels you want are on Mt. Wilson, I would get the version with the grill (or reflector, as Antennas Direct calls it). This gains a little efficiency in reception in the direction you have the antenna pointed, at the cost of signals coming from other directions. We're lucky to have all of the broadcasters co-located together at Mt. Wilston.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Are you picking up Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo as well as Los Angeles?
I pick up KEYT, the ABC affiliate in Santa Barbara, off the back side of the CM 4228. Weather can affect it but we get good reception most of the time. Prior to the 4228 I had a ClearStream V (the larger one), and built an antenna for the frequency KEYT is on, and used a splitter in reverse to combine them.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I live in the San Fernando Valley, slightly further from Mt. Wilson than you, also with line of sight. I'm happy with my Antennas Director ClearStream.

Link.
This is a great choice too. I had the 4Max here in Ventura County, and while it wasn't as good as the larger antenna I have now, I have no doubt the ClearStream 2Max would do really well for you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I pick up KEYT, the ABC affiliate in Santa Barbara, off the back side of the CM 4228. Weather can affect it but we get good reception most of the time. Prior to the 4228 I had a ClearStream V (the larger one), and built an antenna for the frequency KEYT is on, and used a splitter in reverse to combine them.
Do you think it would be possible to pick up Santa Barbara in Pasadena? If so, how? I have not picked up Santa Barbara here, but I have picked up San Diego.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is overkill - He's only 20 miles away, line of sight!

San Dimas, I'm not sure if you are still looking for an antenna, but if you are line-of-sight to Mt. Wilson, and only 20 miles away, you can almost get by with a coat hanger!

There is no need to go overboard, and if you have a window facing North, you might not even need an outdoor antenna.

Do what you wish, but if I were you, I'd go to CVS, find their "As seen on TV" aisle, and try one of those cheap indoor antennas that are always hawked on late-night TV.

You have nothing to lose - if it doesn't work, take it back!

Or, there's dozens of cheap antennas on Amazon - check out this review: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/best-cheap-tv-antennas

And check out this article on how many of your neighbors are getting by "...with antennas that can cost as little as a dollar"!:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2009-dec-25-la-fi-rabbit-ears25-2009dec25-story.html

Reactions: San Dimas

·
Registered
16 Posts
It’s live now. 9-4 was just added but it’s just home shopping.

Any other good ota networks left that aren’t yet in LA? Retro TV?

11001 - 11020 of 11042 Posts