AVS Forum banner

11021 - 11040 of 11042 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Retro TV is currently on KBEH 63-3 ...

But since KBEH shares with KWHY 22 on low band RF ch. 4. You may not be able to receive it without a VHF-lo band capable antenna.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
594 Posts
It’s live now. 9-4 was just added but it’s just home shopping. ....
Yeah ....

Hey Tripp ...

You can update LX on Rabbitears as it's live now on KNBC 4-3 in widescreen SD (station ID Short_Name is simply "LX").

Also HSN on KCAL 9-4 is actually in widescreen SD. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
In anything some of the digi-nets need to die. All these SD sub-channels are sucking picture quality from the main channels.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Are there any special steps being taken to protect OTA transmissions during civil unrest?
Station engineers are being armed with bigger grease pencils and slide rules. The copper thieves probably pose a bigger threat to stations and their towers.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Are there any special steps being taken to protect OTA transmissions during civil unrest?
I would assume (and hope) it's greatest protection is inherent in its remoteness.

So how likely are people going to be rioting and looting way atop Mt. Wilson/Mt. Harvard?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hey Trip;

KDOC 56-6 (thisTV) is back to widescreen SD again. Waited for a few weeks to see if they would stay this way this time, and it has, so guess you can update Rabbitears to back to it.

Although the frame is in "stretch-o-vision" 4:3 to 16:9, .... yuck.

Plus since most of the movies they show are really in 16:9 letterbox to begin with, the added stretch-o-vision makes the resulting picture appear as a stretched 2.35:1 image letterboxed into a 16:9 frame most of the time.

Double yuck! ....

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Hey Trip;

KDOC 56-6 (thisTV) is back to widescreen SD again. Waited for a few weeks to see if they would stay this way this time, and it has, so guess you can update Rabbitears to back to it.

Although the frame is in "stretch-o-vision" 4:3 to 16:9, .... yuck.

Plus since most of the movies they show are really in 16:9 letterbox to begin with, the added stretch-o-vision makes the resulting picture appear as a stretched 2.35:1 image letterboxed into a 16:9 frame most of the time.

Double yuck! ....

Most of those movies pop up on streaming services. A lot of the MGM ones that THIS would have would show up on TUBI at one point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
FOX 11 News reported tonight that the Bocat fire is threatening the nearby Mt. Wilson "antenna farm, ...a billion dollars worth of communications equipment, with several large broadcast and cell towers, now right in the path of the fire..."

Which brought to my mind two thoughts:

1) a BILLION dollars.....? Really?
2) Imagine the situation OTA viewers/listeners will face if the Bobcat fire, which FOX 11 reported might not be under control until October, damages/destroys some/all of the "BILLION" dollars worth of broadcast equipment!

·
Registered
79 Posts
2) Imagine the situation OTA viewers/listeners will face if the Bobcat fire, which FOX 11 reported might not be under control until October, damages/destroys some/all of the "BILLION" dollars worth of broadcast equipment!
As if OTA viewers don't get screwed enough...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
FOX 11 News reported tonight that the Bocat fire is threatening the nearby Mt. Wilson "antenna farm, ...a billion dollars worth of communications equipment, with several large broadcast and cell towers, now right in the path of the fire..."

Which brought to my mind two thoughts:

1) a BILLION dollars.....? Really?
Yeah, I find myself wondering what the local TV broadcasters have as backup transmitters. The only ones I know of are on Mt. Harvard, but that's just downhill from Mt. Wilson, not far away and also threatened by the fire. Surely they have backup transmission elsewhere in the basin, right? Right...?

·
Registered
865 Posts
At quick check I don't see anything licensed for immediate use further away from Mt Wilson, but worst case scenario they can file for emergency STAs at Flint Peak where some of the FM stations have their auxiliary sites. They could also partner with one of the LPTV stations not located in the vicinity of Mount Wilson just to get something on the air in the immediate aftermath.

As for the "Billion" price tag, just looking at some of the 399 reimbursement filings for stations involved in the repack it quickly adds up when you account for all the transmitters, antennas, towers, transmitter buildings, combiners, mask filters, transmission lines, and other equipment for each TV station up there. And that's before you get to the non-TV uses like FM, Cellular/Pagers, Land Mobile communications, Microwave relays, etc. i.e. on AntennaSearch it shows 480 antennas registered in a 2 mile radius of the Mt Wilson site.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I heard on KNX this morning that the plan is to maintain a containment line at the area of the transmitters, so the fire won't get there. The Observatory will also be protected. Those communication towers (there is more than just TV transmitters) would be bad news for emergency services and communication in general if they were destroyed. In the case of cable subscribers (and possibly satellite), they are likely not dependent on the towers for their tv reception. Those of us with antennas, however, would see what we thought of as the most reliable way to receive tv transmissions turned into the least reliable.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I heard on KNX this morning that the plan is to maintain a containment line at the area of the transmitters, so the fire won't get there. The Observatory will also be protected. Those communication towers (there is more than just TV transmitters) would be bad news for emergency services and communication in general if they were destroyed. In the case of cable subscribers (and possibly satellite), they are likely not dependent on the towers for their tv reception. Those of us with antennas, however, would see what we thought of as the most reliable way to receive tv transmissions turned into the least reliable.
I've seen OTA failure, internet failure, and cable failure. Make sure your choice of transmission is backed up. Mother Nature is going to take us on a wild ride for the next few years at the least.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
locast might be a solution but I believe it relies on broadcast TV.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
What is locast?
Start with this..ignore the opinions, there is some background that is useful...If it sounds like something that would work for you if you have solid internet give it a try. If you're after local news most of the network owned L.A. stations have apps and CBSN has a local feed too. So depending what you want/need locast is not your only option.
Locast review: free local programming with a catch
Locast Review

All your local channels on a cheap, cable-free service

11021 - 11040 of 11042 Posts