AVS Forum banner

11041 - 11048 of 11048 Posts

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I heard on KNX this morning that the plan is to maintain a containment line at the area of the transmitters, so the fire won't get there. The Observatory will also be protected. Those communication towers (there is more than just TV transmitters) would be bad news for emergency services and communication in general if they were destroyed. In the case of cable subscribers (and possibly satellite), they are likely not dependent on the towers for their tv reception. Those of us with antennas, however, would see what we thought of as the most reliable way to receive tv transmissions turned into the least reliable.
I've seen OTA failure, internet failure, and cable failure. Make sure your choice of transmission is backed up. Mother Nature is going to take us on a wild ride for the next few years at the least.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
locast might be a solution but I believe it relies on broadcast TV.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
What is locast?
Start with this..ignore the opinions, there is some background that is useful...If it sounds like something that would work for you if you have solid internet give it a try. If you're after local news most of the network owned L.A. stations have apps and CBSN has a local feed too. So depending what you want/need locast is not your only option.
Locast review: free local programming with a catch
Locast Review

All your local channels on a cheap, cable-free service

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I heard on KNX this morning that the plan is to maintain a containment line at the area of the transmitters, so the fire won't get there. The Observatory will also be protected. Those communication towers (there is more than just TV transmitters) would be bad news for emergency services and communication in general if they were destroyed. In the case of cable subscribers (and possibly satellite), they are likely not dependent on the towers for their tv reception. Those of us with antennas, however, would see what we thought of as the most reliable way to receive tv transmissions turned into the least reliable.
All the communications stuff can be rebuilt, the real loss would be The Observatory. You're talking about a lot of work and you just don't run down to Lowe's and pick up a telescope.

·
Registered
67 Posts
All the communications stuff can be rebuilt, the real loss would be The Observatory. You're talking about a lot of work....
I was going to say that the increasing light pollution from L.A. would make it unlikely that they would rebuild, but I stand corrected - according to Wikipedia, it's a unique site:

Due to the inversion layer that traps smog over Los Angeles, Mount Wilson has steadier air than any other location in North America, making it ideal for astronomy and in particular for interferometry.[1] The increasing light pollution due to the growth of greater Los Angeles has limited the ability of the observatory to engage in deep space astronomy, but it remains a productive center, with the CHARA Array continuing important stellar research.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the Camarillo area as well and I'm looking for a good antenna. Were you able to set something up that reliably brought in the major stations like FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
18,007 Posts
Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the Camarillo area as well and I'm looking for a good antenna. Were you able to set something up that reliably brought in the major stations like FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, etc.?
Moved to the LA thread.

Please see the Read Before Posting sticky at the top of the section and supply the requested information. Also, please use call letters, not network affiliations or channel numbers. Thanks.

11041 - 11048 of 11048 Posts