AVS Forum banner

11061 - 11076 of 11076 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
You might look into whether an HDHomeRun will work for her situation. An antenna goes to the HDHomeRun, the HomeRun hooks into the local network, and then she uses the app on the Roku TV's to watch the stations.
Ok, but even with the HD Homerun won't he still have the same problems without a good rooftop antenna?

Based on his discription of the reception issues with indoor antennas at his locale, I just don't see a way around mounting a good rooftop areial short of going to a pay TV provider. Cable or satellite. ....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ok, but even with the HD Homerun won't he still have the same problems without a good rooftop antenna?

Based on his discription of the reception issues with indoor antennas at his locale, I just don't see a way around mounting a good rooftop areial short of going to a pay TV provider. Cable or satellite. ....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Not necessarily, he mentioned a small outdoor antenna might work. I was able to pull in all the stations in a previous house in Corona with a 3 foot or so Yagi in the attic. I have a medium sized antenna now in Riverside that isn't visible from the street at all. You wouldn't know it is there unless you knew where to look.

My thought was that he might have one location for an antenna that might be able to get the stations they desire and be acceptable for the homeowner. Using the Homerun he would be able to get that signal to all the TVs where indoor antennas at each TV in the house aren't going to cut it.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
OMG Channel 2 has spawned a third sub channel. 2-4. At some point the cable companies are going to say no to more sub-channels (not all these services are watched ota). And of course the sub-channel is SD. SAY NO TO SD, o_O REVOLT 👊🤜

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You're a little late on this one. FaveTV launched back in December on nearly all of the CBS O&Os. (Except for Denver where their .4 is now used to bring StartTV's sister network MeTV to metro Denver OTA viewers)

And not every subchannel gets cable carriage anyway. FaveTV is clearly catering to the non-cable audience with reruns of programs from CBS's cable siblings MTV, Spike/Paramount, VH1 and CMT along with random movies from the Paramount library with most of the promos being used to upsell content available on their other cable channels and Paramount+. It's basically a free sampler similar to their 10 Shake channel in Australia or their old VIVA channel on Freeview in the UK.

Also say no to SD? If you actually care that much about HD, you should be happy that most of the subchannels are SD only, since even with the latest encoders, you still have to sacrifice picture quality if you want multiple HD subchannels. (i.e. what happened with KABC when LiveWell HD was added or with KCET and KLCS after they started spectrum sharing) You're lucky NBC didn't sell KVEA in the auction and have it spectrum share with KNBC, since in most other markets the NBC O&O's now carry their sister Telemundo station in HD, in addition to Cozi, LX and Exitos. Not to mention like 75% of FaveTV's schedule is comprised of shows that were never produced in HD, so sacrificing CBS's picture quality so it could be in HD would be pointless.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
You're a little late on this one. FaveTV launched back in December on nearly all of the CBS O&Os. (Except for Denver where their .4 is now used to bring StartTV's sister network MeTV to metro Denver OTA viewers)

And not every subchannel gets cable carriage anyway. FaveTV is clearly catering to the non-cable audience with reruns of programs from CBS's cable siblings MTV, Spike/Paramount, VH1 and CMT along with random movies from the Paramount library with most of the promos being used to upsell content available on their other cable channels and Paramount+. It's basically a free sampler similar to their 10 Shake channel in Australia or their old VIVA channel on Freeview in the UK.

Also say no to SD? If you actually care that much about HD, you should be happy that most of the subchannels are SD only, since even with the latest encoders, you still have to sacrifice picture quality if you want multiple HD subchannels. (i.e. what happened with KABC when LiveWell HD was added or with KCET and KLCS after they started spectrum sharing) You're lucky NBC didn't sell KVEA in the auction and have it spectrum share with KNBC, since in most other markets the NBC O&O's now carry their sister Telemundo station in HD, in addition to Cozi, LX and Exitos. Not to mention like 75% of FaveTV's schedule is comprised of shows that were never produced in HD, so sacrificing CBS's picture quality so it could be in HD would be pointless.
Most of the people I know that don't use cable don't use OTA either...that, that is not streamed does not exist. What I should have said is say no to subchannels, they're boomer vision anyway.

·
Registered
603 Posts
LiveWell is now Localish and no longer HD. It's SD Anamorphic. This was done when KRCA-DT was added (they are HD).
Actually from here Localish looks to be formatted correctly as 16:9 widescreen SD.

What's messed up though, and has been for a long time. Is Laff on 7-3 ....

Which looks like 16:9 SD stretched out to 2.33:1. Then the ends of the picture cropped off to reduce it back to 16:9. This causes both stretch-o-vision distortion and loss of the ends of the original image and any lettering that falls there cut off as well.

Terrible .....

Glad ION is now carrying Laff on 30-5 and is correctly formatted. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
That shouldn't be a problem for too much longer.
Yep, tomorrow KABC and the rest of the ABC O&Os are replacing Laff with ThisTV. They're also testing QVC2 on 7.4.
Well this will certainly be a welcome sight, if KABC formats it correctly that is ...

Since the format of the current broadcast of ThisTV on KDOC 56-6 has been really screwed-up for a long time as well.

Where it looks like a 16:9 letterbox image into 4:3, and then stretched out to 16:9. Resulting a 2.35:1 stretch-o-vision image which is letterboxed into 16:9 ...

Again, absolutely ridiculous, but at least none of the picture or titling and graphics are cut off at the ends like KABC's Laff are (or soon "were") on 7-3. .....

·
Registered
603 Posts
We'll know at 10:00am tomorrow!
Yep; ...

We know alright and it's "ugh" ...

The identical feed on KDOC 56-6 ...

A 2.35:1 stretch-o-vision image letterboxed into 16:9. In fact for some ultra widescreen movies like the one on now "Follow That Dream" staring Elvis Presley, its even worse.

About a 2.7:1 stretch-o-vision image letterboxed into 16:9 ...

Again, yuck ...

·
Registered
603 Posts
UPDATE:

Well, ... I see that KABC at least corrected the stretch-o-vision distortion for ThisTV. As its now in 16:9 to 4:3 letterbox SD picture.

(Which means for the ultra-widescreen movies they show naturally results in an even smaller 2.75:1 image letterboxed into 4:3 of course).

So Trip, I guess you can change the RabbitEars entry to just "4:3" now for the ThisTV aspect ratio on KABC 7-3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed after we switched over to daylight saving time that 4 of my favorite hdtv stations are not carrying the exact time. Two stations KNBC and KFTR still show standard time and the other two, KLCS and KCET, are 4 minutes behind. I went on Facebook and messaged these 4 stations that they need to show the exact times but nothing has happened. Is there another way to get these stations to comply with having the exact times in their PSIP.

11061 - 11076 of 11076 Posts