AVS Forum banner

5841 - 5860 of 9911 Posts

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5820#post_24534028

Curtis,

Been awhile,

How you been? Hope you can make it.
Been good...just busy.

Anybody have any new toys?

·
Banned
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5820#post_24533057

Same here for 1st showing on Sunday.
Enjoy!

Looks like I'll be going to the 4:00ish showing that day.

·
Banned
459 Posts
Unfortunately I can't make it Saturday. But I'll send along something special for all the birthdays:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

I think asarose247 ( will from garden grove ), may also be attending.  He's been busy building the "submaximus", but im sure i can tear him away on from it for the day.  

Ray, if you read this.....i talked with my mother in law tonight ( she's in ohio ).  Here's the recap....

her....."whatcha doing kevin"

me....."just been in the garage building another speaker...actually it's called a subwoofer, it makes the boom boom noise you said was making your teeth shake, the last time you visited and we watched a movie.  Guess what color im painting it? "

her...i dont know....blue, cause that's your favorite color.

me.....[clayton bixby voice on] nope, im painting it BLACK just like my other 2, and when i finish it, i hope it BURNS IN HELL!!!! 

her.....laughing / " o quit teasing me!"

wife standing next to me at the time, grabs phone out of my hands / punches me in the arm hard / and says "i told you to quit saying **** like that to my mom, she's gonna think you really think she's racist!"  

Me.....shouting into phone....." i love you mom, and i know your not racist, but admit that you agree with me.....SUBWOOFERS THAT ARE PAINTED ANYTHING EXCEPT WHITE NEED TO BURN IN HELL!!!

wife, starts laughing / composes herself / and then gives me look of death, and leaves the room, and ill probably now get ignored till bed time. 

·
Banned
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantmyTHX  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5820#post_24534201

Enjoy!

Looks like I'll be going to the 4:00ish showing that day.
I am sure you guys will still be standing in the parking lot talking.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5820#post_24534053

Been good...just busy.

Anybody have any new toys?

Ivan has atmos in his room now. I heard he will be installing Auro next week...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5820#post_24535245

Ivan has atmos in his room now. I heard he will be installing Auro next week...

Yep

64 speakers of pure awesomeness.

·
Registered
28,981 Posts
From the Wall Street Journal:

Fewer Americans Go to the Movies

Theater Owners Consider Cutting Ticket Prices One Day a Week

By Erich Schwartzel and Ben Fritz

March 25, 2014 7:43 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS—America's moviegoing audience shrank yet again in 2013, and theater owners are considering a radical idea to turn the tide: cutting ticket prices.

Well, at least some of the time.

A report from the Motion Picture Association of America released Tuesday said that domestic movie box-office sales rose to $10.9 billion last year, from $10.8 billion in 2012.

But the increase was the result of higher ticket prices, not attendance. Indeed, the number of tickets sold slipped yet again, this time 1.5% to 1.34 billion from 1.36 billion.

That extends a longstanding trend: The number of tickets sold fell nearly 11% between 2004 and 2013, according to the report, while box office revenue increased 17%.

With home-entertainment options improving all the time— whether streamed movies and television, video games, or mobile apps—and studios releasing fewer movies, people are less likely to head to their local multiplex.

Box-office growth was much stronger in many overseas markets, particularly China, though slower than in 2012. China's box office grew 27% last year, compared with 36% in 2012, reaching $3.6 billion—the first time a foreign market has surpassed $3 billion, the MPAA said.

In the U.S., though, steadily rising ticket prices have cut both ways, bolstering overall revenue but damping demand.

The average U.S. movie ticket price in 2013 increased to $8.13, up from $7.96 the year prior, according to the National Association of Theatre Owners, the industry group representing North American cinemas. And in some cities, a movie ticket is well over $10, with 3-D and IMAX movies surcharges bringing them closer to $20 a pop.

Now, the nation's movie theaters want to try their hand with cheaper movie tickets. The theater owners association is in early talks with theater chains and movie studios to experiment with a program that would discount ticket prices on one yet-to-be-determined weekday, officials said.

The theater owners association plans to start the program in one state sometime this year.

Details on the program, including where it might debut, were scarce. But officials said it would mimic programs in Canada and Latin America, where patrons can count on seeing movies less expensively on a certain day every week. Because the lower price would run all day, it would be a broader discount than bargain matinees.

To work, the program would require cooperation among numerous theater chains and studios, so that one chain doesn't cannibalize the others' business. The theater owners association wouldn't set a standardized price but would only introduce the concept, said the organization's chief executive, John Fithian.

"There is a portion of the populace who can't afford to go to the cinema on Friday night," said Mr. Fithian, speaking at CinemaCon, an annual convention for exhibitors and studios.

Mr. Fithian made the proposal as part of a presentation of industry data along with Chris Dodd, head of the MPAA.

Mr. Dodd, the former Connecticut senator, is traveling to China in the coming weeks, and he will push for changes in the quota system imposed on foreign movies.

Almost 14 new screens a day are being built in China. But Hollywood would still like to see China allow those screens to show more foreign films, currently limited to 34 a year.

The Asia Pacific region exceeded Europe, the Middle East, and Africa in box office for the first time last year, with $11.1 billion, up from $10.9 billion.

Latin America grew at a 7% pace, the same as Asia, but lags far behind in box office total, with $3 billion.

Growth in Latin America was led by Brazil, Mexico and Argentina, said Mr. Dodd, who added that spurring moviegoing in other emerging markets like Colombia is "one of the areas I hope to focus on."

Meanwhile, the number of movies released by the six major studios that are part of the MPAA also dropped 11% in 2013 to 114. In 2006, the major studios released 204 films.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
There is one theater that I know of that is always cheap and runs first run movies (the first week): Vista on Sunset a few miles from Arclight Hollywood. Not that it is my first choice. Decent sized screen with exceptional leg room because every other row has been taken out. Sort of a throwback to the Egyptian motif of the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood in terms of decor. 4K projector and more than decent audio. No Dolby Atmos or 3D.

http://vintagecinemas.com/vista/

·
Banned
459 Posts

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
OK...I just bought a new toy...

Raspberry Pi, and plan to run RaspBMC on it.

It it works out fine...I will dump Sonos. In fact I could probably sell the Sonos box for at least twice as much as the Raspberry Pi cost me.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5850#post_24543285

I'm guessing everyone felt that 5.3 centered in La Habra?

Was in Rowland Heights and damn was that exciting. Beer cans went flying off the table!

·
Registered
28,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5850#post_24543575

Was in Rowland Heights and damn...
Damn, right near the epicenter. How do you always end up where the action is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5850#post_24543575

Beer cans went flying off the table!
You only drink Dos Equis beer, right?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5850#post_24543585

Damn, right near the epicenter. How do you always end up where the action is?

You only drink Dos Equis beer, right?

Was visiting some friends in the area. I myself didn't drink but the folks whose beer/drinks spilled got free drinks on the house which was nice (I had a water so I guess the "free" refill was special). The place (boiling crab) also had decor beer cans on shelfs all over the place so when the quake hit, a bunch of them went flying like confetti. Distracted me from doing proper "earthquake procedures" lol. I have to say this was the closest I ever was to an epicenter of an earthquake so it felt pretty strong. Kind of felt like being in a car that brakes really hard.

Vivian is kind of pissed now at me though as I did text her after the quake asking "Speakers ok?" ...guess my priorities are a bit off....good news is the speakers are ok though!

By the way you are correct about Dos Equis...good memory...that had to be at least a year and half ago!

·
Registered
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5850#post_24543644

Vivian is kind of pissed now at me though as I did text her after the quake asking "Speakers ok?" ...guess my priorities are a bit off....good news is the speakers are ok though!

I just got home from Lodi last night and it hit. I did the earth quake drill, drop and hold speakers.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/5800_100#post_24543644

Was visiting some friends in the area. I myself didn't drink but the folks whose beer/drinks spilled got free drinks on the house which was nice (I had a water so I guess the "free" refill was special). The place (boiling crab) also had decor beer cans on shelfs all over the place so when the quake hit, a bunch of them went flying like confetti. Distracted me from doing proper "earthquake procedures" lol. I have to say this was the closest I ever was to an epicenter of an earthquake so it felt pretty strong. Kind of felt like being in a car that brakes really hard.

By the way you are correct about Dos Equis...good memory...that had to be at least a year and half ago!

Lol! If I'm not home and a quake hits, I will usually get a text from the wife saying " I'm fine / checked your theater room / everything is fine"

And I get usually that text before I have even asked.

In another recent quake my " sin city Jessica alba figurine fell off the shelf"....

That texts from wife was " she's dead " with a picture of her laying face down on the floor....lol

5841 - 5860 of 9911 Posts