AVS Forum banner
6,361 - 6,380 of 11,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6330#post_24806696

13.2 on the most expensive one (via preouts). More than enough for me certainly, and probably enough for most people I'd guess. I'd be using the unit in prepro mode with my external amps so it's the preouts that interest me more than anything.

My fronts are fully active so I'd be using preouts for those and the subs, for sure.

To be honest, I have zero interest in anything that is less than 11.1 audio and preferably more than that. I have 9.1 now. Time to move on and up!

Gimme dem overhead outputs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24806711

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6330#post_24806696

13.2 on the most expensive one (via preouts). More than enough for me certainly, and probably enough for most people I'd guess. I'd be using the unit in prepro mode with my external amps so it's the preouts that interest me more than anything.

My fronts are fully active so I'd be using preouts for those and the subs, for sure.

To be honest, I have zero interest in anything that is less than 11.1 audio and preferably more than that. I have 9.1 now. Time to move on and up!

Gimme dem overhead outputs!

:)  You and me both... onwards and upwards is the future...

Last night we went to go see Disney's Maleficent at the Dolby Atmos theater in Sherman Oaks. If you haven't seen it yet, try and go. It's a fantastic film, great plot and writing. fantastic special effects and wonderful soundtrack. Not much use of the object oriented Atmos surround speakers, but it didn't matter because the story and music were compelling, and the sound mix was pristine. Only Angelina Jolie could pull of the duality in character of the sensitive and nurturing head fairy (think her roll in The Changeling) with the deadly detachment of the evil queen (think her roll in Mr & Mrs Smith). The story is a real twist from the original, deeply emotionally touching (think Hugo) and completely unpredictable. It's not just a sugarry Disney remake for little kids. Well worth paying to go see it in a commercial theater before it's out on BluRay.  Tonight we're going to see Edge of Tomorrow also in the Sherman Oaks Atmos theater - I'll drop a post if it's any good.

I'm also glad to hear that the upcoming consumer (Denon, Marantz, Integra, Onkyo) surround processors will have height channels for both front and rear. I already have hight speakers in front and am in the process of adding rear height speakers above  the main LP driven by a separate Adcom GFA 555II amp and a SMART Circle Surround 3CX. The 3CX is a DSP that will interpolate a phantom channel from the rear/side speakers. I planned on using it as a substitute for the Atmos overhead channel until the real thing came along at a reasonable price. Watching Scott Wilkenson on Home Theater Geeks and reading Gary Reeber in Widescreen Review, I had assumed it would be years before this trickled down to the mass consumer level. I know that the $20,000 DataSat RS20i processor and the $10,000 dataSat LS10 processor are capable of Auro multiple height channels right now, but they're way above my price range and will still need a software update to process Atmos when it becomes available.

FYI - For those of you that may have purchased your tickets to The Show Newport bundled with LAOSAS Membership, the next meting is coming up on July 20th at The Source AV in Torrance. They will have the MBL Extreme and Focal Grand Utopia systems on demo if you want to hear them again or If you couldn't make the show and hear them there.  

If you wanted to go just to hear the MBL's they probably won't require you to purchase a membership. However I have found being a member has been both interesting and beneficial.  First, they offer a free 3 day pass to the show included with renewal each year which  makes the membership free if you were planning to go to the show anyway. Second, manufacturers bring out their best gear to demonstrate at the meetings so I get to hear things that I wouldn't normally get exposed to unless I went to a dealer as a paying customer (which I really don't have the green for), Third they often have interesting speakers that are speaker designers or audio engineers, and Fourth is the free food/drink and a chance at the raffle to win very expensive high end audio gear for nothing!

Here's the email for the July meeting. Let me know if you want to join me there.

===================================================

Dear Members and Friends,

SUPER SOCIETY SNEAK PREVIEW!! 

WIN A PAIR OF Gorgeous FOCAL CHORUS 716 SPEAKERS IN MAHOGANY!! MSRP $1600!

COMING SUNDAY, JULY 20, 2-5PM:

***Xtreme MBL Speaker System: WOW! WOW!

***Grande Utopia Focal Speaker System: WOW!WOW!

Juergen Reis and Jeremy Bryan, MBL Presenting

Jean Philippe Fontane, Focal Presenting

PLUS, A MEMBER of the Kevin Voecks design team will be Presenting Revel Speakers!!!
EVERY MODEL!!!

A McIntosh Reference Dealer: Everything they make is on display! Everything Including Speakers!!
An amazing EVENT for our Society!!

Please save the date! Our first time at:

*The Source AV 

3035 Kashiwa St

Torrance, CA 90505
(310) 534-9900  

***Did I say WOW?!

MORE: Wonderful lunch served! Incredible Focal Speaker Raffle! Delicious beverages! Plenty of Free parking!

Great FUN for all! Adult beverages served. More WOWs!

Our Host:  Jason Lord

Get ready for a truly outstanding Society event!
You must save the date!! This kind of ultimate and fantastic speaker presentation may never come around again.

Bob

Bob Levi
President
Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society
Now with over 
​1600​
 Members
8144 E Bailey Way
Anaheim, CA 92808
1-714-281-5850

WWW.LAOCAS.COM  for all future events!
https://www.facebook.com/laocas  for the latest Society News!

===================================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6330#post_24806530

At this point I'm more interested to know if this means DTS has adapted NEOX to do either front heights and wides or both front and rear heights along with 7.1 layout.
Neo:X has always had the capability to do wides and front heights.

For the last couple of years, the DTS demo at CES was 7.1+4 heights, meaning they were eventually going to give the option to swap out the wides for rear heights. The Neo:X diagram I attached a few posts up is from 2 years ago.

So the 7.1.4 configuration is nothing new for DTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24808479

I'm wondering if, with these newer processors, you can choose because you can not choose which one right now with anything.
Didn't you just answer that in another thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1534583/interview-from-auro-ceo-wilfried-van-baelen-auro-vs-atmos#post_24808415

When using the amplifier outputs you will only get to have either front wides OR a second pair of heights in addition to a dedicated set of posts for the heights labeled with a '1'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6330#post_24806375

Even better, Atmos receivers from Denon announced for release in September (at least in France).

http://www.cinenow.fr/articles/28834-denon-avr-x3100w-avr-x4100w-avr-x5200w-et-avr-x7200w-demandez-le-programme?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Denon X7200w, full blown Atmos with 4 heights, will go for a cool 2800 euros or US $3822+, somewhat breathtaking. Now will it also make coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24808623

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6330#post_24806375

Even better, Atmos receivers from Denon announced for release in September (at least in France).

http://www.cinenow.fr/articles/28834-denon-avr-x3100w-avr-x4100w-avr-x5200w-et-avr-x7200w-demandez-le-programme?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Denon X7200w, full blown Atmos with 4 heights, will go for a cool 2800 euros or US $3822+, somewhat breathtaking. Now will it also make coffee?

Remember that European prices are usually much higher than US prices (due to the swingeing taxation here in Europe). 2800 Euros works out at about £2250 and my experience is that the same unit in the US generally sells for the sterling price here in the UK, translated directly into dollars. So on that basis, I'd expect the X7200 to sell in the States for about $2250-2500 - much the same as the outgoing 4520 unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24808623

No, it won't make coffee. But I did read on another thread that it will give you and your guests a nice back rub before everyone settles down to watch the movie.

The movie being the happy ending, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24808535

Yes but you were replying and quoting me in a context where I still didn't know for sure these Denon's had Atmos in them for real real.
Those quotes (about swapping wides for rear heights) were about Neo:X, not Atmos. I just though it was weird that you were wondering about an option/feature you had just explained to another poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24809951

Those quotes (about swapping wides for rear heights) were about Neo:X, not Atmos. I just though it was weird that you were wondering about an option/feature you had just explained to another poster.

Best not to try and understand fully. I probably had a lapse of sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24809954

Quote:

Now will it also make coffee?
Not that bitter swill you gourmet coffee lovers drink.

Bitter???  Never!  If the espresso machine is cleaned regularly, the bean roasted to perfection, and ground as though lives depended on it, with a perfect 25 second pull... my current Honduran beans are producing a lovely, mellow cup....

Saw Edge of Tomorrow last night in the Sherman Oaks Atmos theater, but wasn't expecting much from a movie about repeating an invasion the same day over and over. It was an interesting plot device in 1993 when Bill Murray starred in the romantic comedy Groundhog Day. But in 2011's Source Code with Jake Gyllenhaal repeating a train crash to find a terrorist bomb it felt totally predictable and boring. So I went in with trepidation and came out thoroughly entertained.  Each time the day rebooted, they took the plot in a slightly different unpredictable direction, often with a touch of humor and irony.  The special effects were great  and the sound mix made great use of the Atmos surround speakers in all the battle scenes.

Arclight usually shows a Dolby clip before their Atmos movies start highlighting it's capability. The clip uses a highly directional repeated crunching noise that traverses the theater while luminescent diamond slats fold into a angled box on the screen. The creatures in Edge of Tomorrow spin in and out of frame as they attack making a sound similar to the directional crunching in Atmos demo. You totally "see" them visually around you as they move in and out of the frame during the onslaught. Great mixing job on the soundtrack!  I sensed the film had a lot of extreme LFE that I wasn't hearing like our GTG for Godzilla at AMC Burbank.  I'd be very interested is hearing this again at the Burbank Atmos theater to compare LFE with the their subwoofer system and tactile transducers in the chairs.  Anyone interested? Let me know when you'd like to go.

That's my point. Arclight Sherman Oaks DOES NOT have transducers in their seats, AMC Burbank DOES have transducers incorporated into their motorized seats. I couldn't tell from our GTG at Burbank for Godzilla how much of my impression of the theater's killer LFE came primarily from the main subs behind the screen or the transducer under my seat. The rest of the frequency range I heard at AMC Burbank didn't sound as clear as I'm used to at Arclight Sherman Oaks (however Marc said the mix was off in the film, but OK for the trailers). 

I also just found out from a neighbor that Regency Van Nuys Plant just installed the D-Box motion system in their seats.  I've experienced this set up at multiple CEDIA's and there are some local dealers with D-Box theater chairs in their demo rooms (B&O Pasadena, LA Audio Video Korea Town). D-Box motion coding goes way beyond the tactile transducer system I experienced at AMC Burbank. I've always wanted to install D-Box at my primary LP, but a retrofit with 4 actuators in a 3 person Sofa starts around $5,000 plus another couple grand for electronics. I'd really like see this movie again to compare the transducers at AMC Burbank to the D-Box motion platform at Regency Plant Van Nuys. Any takers?

6,361 - 6,380 of 11,106 Posts