AVS Forum banner

6381 - 6400 of 9997 Posts

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24810560

Or so writes the true coffee aficionado.
I can't help it if I like the coffee made by my country-folk at the local 7/11. It's so smoooooth tasting.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24810796

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24810560

Or so writes the true coffee aficionado.
I can't help it if I like the coffee made by my country-folk at the local 7/11. It's so smoooooth tasting.

LOL. I have a mental image of you in the 9/11 saying "smooooooth" as you sip the cup. But so is mine mellow and smooth too. The usual cause of bitterness is either the machine not having been cleaned properly or the barista allowing the liquor to 'blonde' by overpulling it.  (I'm talking espresso of course - the only true way to make coffee).

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24810796

There is no accounting for taste.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24810907

LOL. I have a mental image of you in the 9/11 saying "smooooooth" as you sip the cup. But so is mine mellow and smooth too. The usual cause of bitterness is either the machine not having been cleaned properly or the barista allowing the liquor to 'blonde' by overpulling it.  (I'm talking espresso of course - the only true way to make coffee).

If Sanjay ever tried espresso, he might faint, especially if it came out of $tarbucks: bitter, abrupt, and over extracted. His taste buds might not recover for hours.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24811016

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24810907

If Sanjay ever tried espresso, he might faint, especially if it came out of $tarbucks: bitter, abrupt, and over extracted. His taste buds might not recover for hours.

:)  The filth which spews from the portafilters of places like that would cause anyone to faint I think, especially someone of Sanjay's obvious sensitivity. Carelessly made, over-pulled, machines cleaned a week last Tuesday ... not to mention the cost. To the pocket I mean, not the taste buds.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24811016

bitter, abrupt, and over extracted.

Starbucks or Sanjay?

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6360#post_24811299

Starbucks or Sanjay?
The only thing "coffee" about me is my skin colour. And unlike Starbucks, I don't keep running out of cream.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Edge of Tomorrow

+1 on Peter's comments. Saw it with friends. Although I thought the movie a bit repetitious with the restarts, my friends thought it OK to maybe a couple of restarts could have been deleted at no loss to the movie. Also, like Peter, I thought it a bit derivative. In addition to the movies that he mentioned I thought of Oblivion, etc. Also, at times with Tom Cruise's character I thought it repetitive in that sometimes I was reminded of his character in "A Few Good Men," and other movies.

But, overall I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
BTW. We went to a couple of Best Buy/Magnolias before seeing the movie. There was more activity going on in the video portions of the stores than I've seen in awhile. (For awhile when I made any visits there was a notable lack of product and empty facings). Lots of new TV's being installed and sitting in boxes. Also, Sony seems to be making a notable push for display space and demo space. Things seemed to be geared toward 4K / Ultra HD now. They also had some of the new curved panel sets. And the panels are getting thinner and thinner. Of special note was that I don't remember seeing anything in the way of 3D being displayed.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Guys,

Would anyone here be interested in burning me a Blu-ray bass demo disc, for $?

I know how to use torrents to download the file, but the problem is that I don't have a blu-ray burner.

Thx

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a bluray burner, but not the blank discs. If you have it on hard disk and a blank disc, stop over after your work and I can burn it.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Kevin,

Don't bother with the torrent. I have the files on my HDD. If I can figure out how to burn it to disc I'll let you know. I have a burner, but no blank media. Actually, what thread did you find the torrent on? I have several demos discs and am not sure which one you are referring to.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

Manoj and duc,

thx fellas.  im actually not sure which demo disc i need, but i will find out from eric ( edogg ).  He had one at his house that had "the hulk" , "flight of the phoenix " and some other killer LFE clips on it, and that's the one id like to get.

duc, i found the info in this thread....be warned though...it's a monster.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412846/the-ultimate-bass-demo-disc/0_100

Ill swing by fry's soon and pick up some blank blu-rays.  

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6390#post_24812608

Guys,

Would anyone here be interested in burning me a Blu-ray bass demo disc, for $?

I know how to use torrents to download the file, but the problem is that I don't have a blu-ray burner.

Thx

Kevin, I can do it it for you if the other guys can't come right. I have a copy of every test disk brought out (including the one Eric has) but no money can exchange hands. You can buy the bd disk and I'll do the rest.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

Awesome.  Thx Chayne.  I'm not in a rush of anykind, so do you think when we get together for speaker face off, we can burn the disk then?  

any idea how many blank blu-rays i would need to burn them all? 

Duc and Manoj,  thx fellas, but i know your both busy ( manoj with your  4 x 18 IB monster  and duc, helping ivan with his new subs ) so Im just gonna wait till i see chayne ( NB67 ).  

ps - i love this thread.  Everyone is always having a good time in here, and helping each other out.....good stuff. 

ps ps - Chayne, would you be ok with me buying the blank blu-rays and just shipping them to your house?  If so, please pm me your address, thx.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
One of the neater and less expensive things to be found at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach was:

https://fongaudio.com/

which is a simulation for headphones via pre-sets that are actually calibrations with various speaker setups (2.0 up to 7.1) and done in real rooms. At this point, it requires a computer or laptop to run the software. It can be tried out via a download with 22 different pre-sets that is limited to 2 minutes of music of your choice, but one can just cycle through each or any of the pre-sets before the 2 minutes is up and easily AB the different pre-sets. The software is Out of Your Head.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6390#post_24814753

Kevin, I can do it it for you if the other guys can't come right. I have a copy of every test disk brought out (including the one Eric has) but no money can exchange hands. You can buy the bd disk and I'll do the rest.
Thinking that I could also get aboard this train, I ordered a spindle of disks. (I don't live that far from you) You asked if you could take a listen to my system; the answer is yes, of course. (No I did not forget)

I have been doing a renovation of my house, (Paint, re-roof, kitchen remodel, Etc.) so - setting a time will be a problem. (Ivan also wants to re-visit)

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6390#post_24814838

Awesome.  Thx Chayne.  I'm not in a rush of anykind, so do you think when we get together for speaker face off, we can burn the disk then?  

any idea how many blank blu-rays i would need to burn them all? 

Duc and Manoj,  thx fellas, but i know your both busy ( manoj with your  4 x 18 IB monster  and duc, helping ivan with his new subs ) so Im just gonna wait till i see chayne ( NB67 ).  

ps - i love this thread.  Everyone is always having a good time in here, and helping each other out.....good stuff. 

ps ps - Chayne, would you be ok with me buying the blank blu-rays and just shipping them to your house?  If so, please pm me your address, thx.

Some discs are 50 gigs some are 25 gigs, I will have to look at the size of the files to determine which copy relates to which size disk. I'll send you a list of the test disks and what size bd disk you'll have to purchase. Personally I just bought a bunch of 50 gig bd disks and copied all the disks on that, along with graphics etc.

There are 2 disks I particularly like and one of them is the one that Eric uses.

The latest disk to come out is this one, but it does not have a start menu so you can't really select the cut scenes.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522648/reelwood-2014-demo-disc-including-thx-wow-1080p-6-1-dts-hd-master-audio

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz  /t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6390#post_24815479

Thinking that I could also get aboard this train, I ordered a spindle of disks. (I don't live that far from you) You asked if you could take a listen to my system; the answer is yes, of course. (No I did not forget)

I have been doing a renovation of my house, (Paint, re-roof, kitchen remodel, Etc.) so - setting a time will be a problem. (Ivan also wants to re-visit)

No problem. Hope you got some 50gig disks as well??

6381 - 6400 of 9997 Posts