AVS Forum banner

6441 - 6460 of 9997 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Are you sure that you have been out to Garden Grove's Krikorian Dolby Atmos theater? The speaker configuration and set up is different from any other Dolby Atmos theater that I have been in. You can get the details from Sanjay on Saturday. If so, then you need to have your hearing checked. Wish I could be at your GTG tomorrow.
Yes Carl it was the Garden Grove theater. We can't compare because we saw 2 different movies. If we saw the same movie then we could argue.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Lone Survivor showing is this coming Saturday. Its time to decide on a time for show. What do you guys thinks about 1:30PM? I'm open to suggestions. I thought this would be a good time in case anybody wanted to hang out before or after the show.

More people are welcome but we would need to add a second show maybe around 4pm. Let me know what you guys think. We still have plenty of time to sort it all out.

Duc
Duc Guest 1
Duc Guest 2
Scott Simonian
Jorge
Peterc613
edude (Manoj) Hang out and meet new folks
Kevins
Shane (possible)
RobertR
Steve Holt
asarose247
sdurani
Toc
Eric

Added a couple to the list.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
My coworkers bailed out and I'm recovering from pneumonia, so I won't be able to make it either. I might be able to stop by later in the evening if I'm feeling better by then. Sorry for the late notice Ivan. I was hoping to feel better by today.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My coworkers bailed out and I'm recovering from pneumonia, so I won't be able to make it either. I might be able to stop by later in the evening if I'm feeling better by then. Sorry for the late notice Ivan. I was hoping to feel better by today.

Sorry to hear that you're sick. Don't worry and try to recover. You can come by at anytime or any other day you wish. Get some rest. Thanks and no need for apologies.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Where's the live stream from Ivan's place??

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
Jorge, Scott and I left Ivan's around 2am, since it looked like he was struggling to stay awake. Always the gracious host. Thanx for the great time, as usual.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Jorge, Scott and I left Ivan's around 2am, since it looked like he was struggling to stay awake. Always the gracious host. Thanx for the great time, as usual.

Those late pizza slices are to blame. I couldn't stay awake after that. Thanks to everyone. Hope everyone had a good time.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Thanks Ivan and everybody else for a really great time at the GTG.

Your theater is fantastic and I think it outperforms a lot of the demos I've seen at CEDIA and CES. Must be the meticulous job you did designing and building the room treatments with perfect amounts of absorption and diffusion in exactly the right amount at exactly the right points. We're using the same Marantz AV8801 preamp and I've heard the older Parasound Halo A 52 amplifier before, but at double the watts, it's obvious your new A51 has a lot more power. I've also heard various models of the Triad speakers including the Platinum LCR's, but your system sounded really dynamic with much more tightly defined surround imaging (again must be the killer room treatment).

Lastly, I'm flabbergasted that two 15" sealed subs in relatively small enclosures could produce such prodigious amounts of bass. Granted they were corner loaded and it's a small room volume to pressurize, but I feel the tactile feel of the bass in your theater created a reasonable approximation of the 6PM blowout demo that Mark Seaton did at The Show in Newport for about 10% of the cost. It really helps that the sofas are "floating" on a very thick padding under the carpet to mitigate the problem of having a cement slab on the floor (and again the killer room treatment to tighten up the bass).

Yesterday gave me much to think about for working on my own system. After tailing to Scott about dual LMS 15's beating one LMS 18, I'm reconsidering two large 18 ported subs and thinking about six sealed 15" subs. It was very helpful to see how simple the bracing on Ivan's new sub enclosures makes DIY much more doable.

Also I've had reservations in the past about the fan noise I've read about on Inuke's, but Ivan's wasn't that loud (and my amp rack is also outside the listening area). I have also read that digital amps with switching power supplies like the iNuke don't provide the same dampening factor to large subwoofers at lower impedances as analog amps with heavy-duty transformers but the bass in Ivan's theater was tight and defined with reference SPL's and fantastic extension.

The Pizza and drinks were great. For the next GTG at Ivan's I'm going to bring a Sonos Connect Amp and some speakers so we have music for socializing outside on the patio.

=======================================

PS --

Remember July 20th is the LAOCAS Meeting with a demo of the MBL Extremes on all McIntosh electronics in Torrance. They will have free food, drinks and a raffle for a pair of $7,000 Focal speakers. I'll repost the info as it gets closer.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
sorry I missed it, I had a taping on the Universal Studios lot... :( girrr I keep missing on these get togethers >_

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ivan,

thanks for the nice meet and as usual, you were the gracious host. It was also great meeting the crowd and had some interesting discussions.

·
Bass Enabler
21,590 Posts
Yesterday gave me much to think about for working on my own system. After tailing to Scott about dual LMS 15's beating one LMS 18, I'm reconsidering two large 18 ported subs and thinking about six sealed 15" subs. It was very helpful to see how simple the bracing on Ivan's new sub enclosures makes DIY much more doable.
Hey, Peter. Was thinking of what you had said about the six after you had left...

If you are still thinking of that I thought of something for you that would work with the WAF issues. If you get six LMSR15's then you could build three enclosures. All sealed and dual-opposed. What this will allow is you can place one behind, like you had wanted and still have a useable surface on top. Maybe some sweet granite? :D But the point the vibration is canceled so maybe if the you or your wife want to place decorations they will not get moved about.

So why three enclosures? Glad you asked. :D

I was thinking about how you said you had the two Energy subs off to the sides (endtables?). Well yeah.... this enclosures will not be huge so they could be made to be in a location as usable endtables. Dual opposed lessens the chance of that glass of wine dancing it's way off the table during some 'spirited' levels. ;)

Super simple and 3X the subwoofage that Ivan has that left you quite impressed. He doesn't even have them nearfield which you would.

Yup. :)

Just a thought.

;)

Lol yeah you and Jorge probably could have kept at it all night. :p Ivan and I were passing out. :D

Those late pizza slices are to blame. I couldn't stay awake after that. Thanks to everyone. Hope everyone had a good time.
Haha, yeah. It was a nice, full day but lots of fun. As always. :)

Thanks again for hosting a great G2G! I'll see you guys again next weekend!

Which brings me to our next slide....

Transformers

Prime

No, not Optimus! AMC Prime!

Who is going? I'm in! Comes out this coming Friday.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Hey, Peter. Was thinking of what you had said about the six after you had left...

If you are still thinking of that I thought of something for you that would work with the WAF issues. If you get six LMSR15's then you could build three enclosures. All sealed and dual-opposed. What this will allow is you can place one behind, like you had wanted and still have a useable surface on top. Maybe some sweet granite? :D But the point the vibration is canceled so maybe if the you or your wife want to place decorations they will not get moved about.

So why three enclosures? Glad you asked. :D

I was thinking about how you said you had the two Energy subs off to the sides (endtables?). Well yeah.... this enclosures will not be huge so they could be made to be in a location as usable endtables. Dual opposed lessens the chance of that glass of wine dancing it's way off the table during some 'spirited' levels. ;)

Super simple and 3X the subwoofage that Ivan has that left you quite impressed. He doesn't even have them nearfield which you would.

Yup. :)

Just a thought.

;)

Lol yeah you and Jorge probably could have kept at it all night. :p Ivan and I were passing out. :D

Haha, yeah. It was a nice, full day but lots of fun. As always. :)

Thanks again for hosting a great G2G! I'll see you guys again next weekend!

Which brings me to our next slide....

Transformers

Prime

No, not Optimus! AMC Prime!

Who is going? I'm in! Comes out this coming Friday.
I'm finally open this weekend :D

L4D anyone?

6441 - 6460 of 9997 Posts