AVS Forum banner

6581 - 6600 of 9911 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good home theater installer? I'm going Dolby Atmos and need someone to run wire, install in ceiling speakers, etc. If they can install an HDTV antenna on the roof that would be great too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just finished watching a film called "Into the White" on netflix. Pretty good!

Seems like a similar movie that I've seen and enjoyed. Similar story line was a group of German and American infantrymen ending up in a cottage in the woods with a family during the Battle of the Bulge, and during Xmas. The family in the cottage is a woman -- Linda Hamilton -- I think and her son. She's a tough lady and, as a condition to allowing the soldiers in the cottage requires them to leave their weapons outside. They form an informal truce and make it through Xmas and a blizzard and then go their separate ways. All the soldiers know that the war is winding down and the Germans will be on the losing end so, I think, one or more of the German soldiers goes with the Americans as a P.O.W. Don't remember the title of the movie though.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Hi all...

Just had a nice phone conversation with Ray and he told me about the Emotiva roadshow on Sat., Aug. 30th.

I just signed up. Who is going? Thought maybe we could do lunch. It's Labor Day weekend, so if you eat a lot, you have an extra day to work it off.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hi all...

Just had a nice phone conversation with Ray and he told me about the Emotiva roadshow on Sat., Aug. 30th.

I just signed up. Who is going? Thought maybe we could do lunch. It's Labor Day weekend, so if you eat a lot, you have an extra day to work it off.
I'm in.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Wow finally decided to make a new account after trying the "forgot password" several times (like 30) and even emailing the contact us email and getting no response 5 or 6 times.
Anyone wanna guess my old name?
Hint 1 I have been to several GTG's
Hopefully PMing will work better getting my old account restored.

·
Registered
631 Posts
WOW...I guess everyone still out of it from the 4th of July Party's.
No one here :eek:

Well here is an event that is coming up and I figured some would like to go.
It is the "Emotiva On The Road" event in Los Angeles on August 30 at the The Westin Los Angeles Airport

Link to get your FREE tickets is below.....I got mine!

Here is the link to register

Later
RayJr
For those planning on attending, what time were you planning on getting there? At this point, for me it looks like I can get there between 12 noon and 1 PM.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hey guys, wondering if anyone can burn a copy of the scubasteve demo disc (#2) for me. My copy was accidently destroyed today. :(

I'll glad pay for your time and materials.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
For those planning on attending, what time were you planning on getting there? At this point, for me it looks like I can get there between 12 noon and 1 PM.
Mitch and I will be there around 10am.

Not sure how long we are staying. I mean how much time can you really spend looking at Emotiva stuff?

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Just got back from the Emotiva Roadshow at the Westin LAX.

Pretty disappointing.

I wanted to check out the XMC-1. Of course it was the flagship of the show. It is extremely configurable. The room/speakers did not sound at all good, in fact, for a demo, I thought it was pretty bad.

Then we were told that DIRAC was not being used because they could not get it to work with the hotel's internet connection/wifi. I understand the reason that was given...a password was needed to connect, which you can't do with a simple wifi adapter...but a $50 travel router solves that. This was not their first roadshow, so I wonder if they had DIRAC running at any of the previous shows.

The XMC-1 has a lot of promise...so I guess we'll see how it pans out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Or they can't get DIRAC to work at all.

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
Very sad, as that type of issue is very easily remedied with a router.
What makes you think that was the real issue? There's a reason I used the word "excuse" in my previous post. You really think this can happen in 3 different hotels in 3 different cities on the roadshow?
Or they can't get DIRAC to work at all.
Bingo! Give the man a cigar. If they had Dirac working, XMC-1 owners wouldn't still be waiting for it.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
What makes you think that was the real issue? There's a reason I used the word "excuse" in my previous post. You really think this can happen in 3 different hotels in 3 different cities on the roadshow? Bingo! Give the man a cigar. If they had Dirac working, XMC-1 owners wouldn't still be waiting for it.
I was giving them the benefit of a doubt, as from AVS dedicated thread to the XMC-1, there seems to be people that have the unit, and I didn't see a mention of DIRAC not working.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
That's because the XMC-1 doesn't have Dirac.
I'm confused...it is a listed feature, and something that was talked about at the roadshow.
So more reading...the units that have been shipped do not have Dirac.

So it looks as though we were duped.

6581 - 6600 of 9911 Posts