AVS Forum banner

9621 - 9640 of 9997 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Nice! Should be stunning.
I hope so... I have Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk on 4k @60fps and its incredible..
I can only imagine what 96fps will be like..

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Hopefully no damage for either of you?
Sorry I missed your post until now!
Some stuff fell over but we were ok.

Can't say the same for the people up north by the epicenter. Some heavy damage there.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Happy Birthday, I've seen what you do for the GTG's can't imagine what a Birthday bash there is like.lol

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
happy belated birthday, Ivan.

Iris is babysitting her grand kids for most of the day on Sat.

have any particulars on a time frame for SAT?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Happy Birthday, I've seen what you do for the GTG's can't imagine what a Birthday bash there is like.lol
happy belated birthday, Ivan.

Iris is babysitting her grand kids for most of the day on Sat.

have any particulars on a time frame for SAT?
John Wick 3 movie night this weekend anyone?
I'm up for JW3... you got the 411 figured out yet?
Thank you guys
I thought I would have the movie yesterday, but it seems I won't have it till next week. So we can plan for next Saturday if you guys wish.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ok...I'll be up in Santa Barbara next weekend..
You guys have fun..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Dedicated Room for both Music and Movies

Something I've been thinking about:

A dedicated music room and a dedicated home theatre room have very similar requirements: high-quality speakers, low noise floor, capable amplification, good acoustics, pleasing aesthetics that allow you to soak in the artistry at hand. But ISTM they have one serious diverging point, which is recommended speaker placement. Home theatre asks for the L/R pair to be 30 degrees off the center line from the MLP, whereas most stereo room recommendations I've seen ask for an equilateral triangle between the L/R speakers and the listener, so with a 45 degree angle off center for the L/R pair.

Have dedicated home theatre builders tried to split the difference, or just go with the home theatre specs and call that good enough? Or has anyone tried to do two rows, in which the front row hits the 45 degree sweet spot for stereo music and the back row is closer to 30 degrees at the MLP for home theatre?

Crossposting to the dedicated home theatre room subforum.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
An equilateral triangle would have all three angles at 60 degrees. That would put the L/R speakers at 30 degrees from the center line. This is the same as the theater specification you've stated. It is impossible to have speakers at 45 degrees from the center line and be equidistant from them.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
So it is! So I think my query is moot.
Your query is valid, just the math off. The 3 angles of a triangle always add up to 180°. Therefore the equilateral has 60° angles (±30°). The 45° angle for stereo you refer to is ±22.5.

These angles are recommendations. The room (modes), treatments, speaker dispersion characteristics all should play into determining what you end up with.

If you can design a purpose built room w/unlimited budget you can optimize everything. Otherwise there are always trade-offs.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Angle trivia

Rule of thumb

Say you have 2 rows and you set the 1st row such that the angle between the [email protected] mains and the listener is 60 degrees (+/- 30).

And then you want the 2nd row to have an angle spread of 45 degrees (+/- 22.5) between [email protected] mains and the listener. The spacing from 1st row to 2nd row is 1/3 the distance between the L&R speakers.

This rule of thumb will place the 2nd row about .6 % short of "exact". Call it 1 inch shy for a 10 foot spread on the mains. ;)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Rule of thumb

Say you have 2 rows and you set the 1st row such that the angle between the [email protected] mains and the listener is 60 degrees (+/- 30).

And then you want the 2nd row to have an angle spread of 45 degrees (+/- 22.5) between [email protected] mains and the listener. The spacing from 1st row to 2nd row is 1/3 the distance between the L&R speakers.

This rule of thumb will place the 2nd row about .6 % short of "exact". Call it 1 inch shy for a 10 foot spread on the mains. ;)
What an incredibly useful coincidence!

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
Home theatre asks for the L/R pair to be 30 degrees off the center line from the MLP, whereas most stereo room recommendations I've seen ask for an equilateral triangle between the L/R speakers and the listener, so with a 45 degree angle off center for the L/R pair.
I've always heard recommendations for a 60° spread for 2-channel music and a 45° spread for movies (to mimic the spread in movie theatres).
Have dedicated home theatre builders tried to split the difference, or just go with the home theatre specs and call that good enough?
The few home theatre designers I've met placed the L/R speakers for preferred soundstage width or for mode cancelling, depending on their priorities.

What are the benefits of placing L/R speakers ±30° from the centre line?

9621 - 9640 of 9997 Posts